Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:23 AM

20,540 posts, read 33,686,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How exactly is Houston going to supplant LA?
It won't and if it does, we'll all be dead. But Houston has the potential to be one of those very top tier 1 cities in a couple decades. They really need to improve it's mass transit system though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,503,156 times
I've heard many forumers speak of Houston's financial services power, but I don't know of any major financial institutions there. Can one of our Houston forumers or someone familiar with Houston's economy tell us about some financial institutions who are headquartered or who do a significant amount of business in Houston?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 AM

36,704 posts, read 67,783,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I've heard many forumers speak of Houston's financial services power, but I don't know of any major financial institutions there. Can one of our Houston forumers or someone familiar with Houston's economy tell us about some financial institutions who are headquartered or who do a significant amount of business in Houston?
Yes, Ive read a few times now people talking about Houston's financial services sector but like you, Im not aware of any major institutions located there.

Maybe there are some operational centers and regional offices but aside from that, Im not seeing any justification.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,485,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How exactly is Houston going to supplant LA?
Well, think about how this poll would have looked 70 years ago. Other than NYC being #1, no one could have imagined back then what the top 5 would be in 2010.

Now, what do you think the top 5 will be in 2080?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Private equity. That's why you don't hear much about it, they don't want that type of attention and do very little PR.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 PM

BTW - just so we're all clear, I have no interest in Houston or any ties to it other than one friend plus it being a convenient hub for Continental and some other airlines' routes - a cheaper alternative heading back and forth to Europe. I am just giving my honest tough analysis, doing my best to do crystal ball work. YMMV.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,503,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Private equity. That's why you don't hear much about it, they don't want that type of attention and do very little PR.
That makes no sense. Private equity can mean any number of things. However, "avoiding attention" is not one of them since the only thing "private" about it is that it's not traded on secondary exchanges. The institutions involved in private equity investments are often high-profile banks.

It's cool if you don't know why people consider Houston to be a hub of financial services...most of us don't.

For example, according to the Global Financial Centres Index, the United States has 5 of the top 20 financial centers on the planet. We have #2 NYC, #7 Chicago, #9 Boston, #13 Jersey and #17 San Francisco. The list goes all the way down to #62 and the only other US city to make the list is Washington DC at #21. There's no mention of Houston. So for all the talk we get for Houston having a good financial services sector, we never get any proof besides "oh we do, trust me".

Last edited by tmac9wr; 06-17-2009 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
That makes no sense. Private equity can mean any number of things. However, "avoiding attention" is not one of them since the only thing "private" about it is that it's not traded on secondary exchanges. The institutions involved in private equity investments are often high-profile banks.

It's cool if you don't know why people consider Houston to be a hub of financial services...most of us don't.

For example, according to the Global Financial Centres Index, the United States has 5 of the top 20 financial centers on the planet. We have #2 NYC, #7 Chicago, #9 Boston, #13 Jersey and #17 San Francisco. The list goes all the way down to #62 and the only other US city to make the list is Washington DC at #21. There's no mention of Houston. So for all the talk we get for Houston having a good financial services sector, we never get any proof besides "oh we do, trust me".
First Reserve, SMH, TPG (main HQ in Metroplex but major satellite in Houston), Sterling, Houston Partners, HM (main HQ in Metroplex but major satellite in Houston), etc.

Of course, anything we are discussing here absolutely pales in comparison with the impressive set of firms located in and around NYC spilling over into Western CT.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 PM

20,540 posts, read 33,686,386 times
Honeslty, this is the first time I'm ever hearing about Houston's financial sector. It had a chance to explode in the 80s but they went through a bust and caused the economy to go down and the population went down for a little while as well.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,109,700 times
Quote:

what happened to new york being number one. Isnt wall street the most important financial sector in the world and isnt the stock exchange the most powerful? Im not trying to start an argument, im just asking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City