Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the second most important in the nation?
LA 211 35.34%
Chicago 171 28.64%
DC 81 13.57%
SF 39 6.53%
Boston 62 10.39%
Houston 33 5.53%
Voters: 597. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:38 PM

765 posts, read 1,863,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I guess I am of two minds on this.

If you go by contribution to US economy/society I would have to say LA.
If you go by power over economy/society I would have to say DC.

LA is the 2nd largest city/economy. Hollywood certainly gives it cultural relevance, for better or worse.

DC is a special case. As a city its obviously 2nd/3rd tier, more in line with Bos/Atl than LA or Chi. However, as seat of government decisions made in DC have more power over peoples lives than in any other city. The most important issues of the day are decided (or kicked down the road) in DC.

New Deal/WWII/Civil Rights/Vietnam/Roe v. Wade/Wars on Terror, Drugs, Cancer, and Poverty/ the current bailout and stimulus/Health care, global warming, etc.
Contribution to US economy? That would be Chicago, not Los Angeles. 80% of the world's commodities are traded through one of Chicago's exchanges. Chicago is also a center for corporate headquarters and hosts more business meetings than any city (maybe except NYC). Chicago also has the 3rd largest office market in North America and Europe, behind New York and London. So as far as contribution to US economy is concerned, Chicago, in my opinion, easily surprasses Los Angeles. However, I would definitely give Los Angeles credit for contribution to US society and pop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 PM

505 posts, read 1,388,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree...there's no way we're the second most-important city. I'm not sure who the heck has been voting for Boston (aside from Boston14) because as we mentioned earlier in the thread, the main Boston forumers all said they voted for other cities (I voted for Washington DC).
I can't remember if I have already posted on this thread, but I didn't vote for Boston either. I said LA.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 AM

28 posts, read 68,549 times
Are we considering the area or just the city?

I believe that Houston is not the second or third city. Houston holds its position at its population ranking; 4th. Let us not forget that the question was the 2nd most important city contributing to the US in economics and culture. I would also consider DC because politics is a function of culture. However, the only reason that DC would not be ranked any city is b/c although some of the most influential people live and make decisions here; they often are not from DC. So I would say the culture of DC is more that of an amalgamation of contributing cities from around the US. The city of DC itself, has less than 60% reading and math proficiency in its public schools, serious lack of industry outside of gov't, and is rapidly exporting govt consulting jobs into northern VA. It also as a city does not have a very large population. I believe DC must be left as it is; its own stand alone place not to be ranked with the like of the other cities since it is a strange phenomenon.

Now back to LA and Chi-town. If the ranking was just culture I would have to say LA because as one of the most culturally diverse cities it has some of the largest daily experiments in diversity. If it was economy, I would say Chicago because Chicago is the only other city in the US with a stock exchange that can consider comparing with Wall Street. However since the ranking is both based on the criteria of culture and economy, I would say Chicago does beat LA. This is simply because although LA has a very large GDP, GDP cannot always measure the actual output of a city as far as industry, finance, small business contribution, business travel, etc. (I am sure I forgot some things here.). And because Chicago also has high diversity margins, the fact that it also has an economic impact only second to New York overshadows LA GDP. LA would be the third city. It cannot be contested here because it is the 2nd largest GDP contributor, one of the most diverse cities and is home to Hollywood. Although most would want to immediately downplay Hollywood, it cannot be ignored. Entertainment is one of the largest exports from the US as well as one of the larges services provided within the US. Check sales on TV and computer related electronics, movie sales, cable company profits, etc. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of that Silicon Valley technology (also in CA) may have sprung forth to help the beginning of [personal] entertainment distribution in [Hollywood] LA lol. :-).

Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,923,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
I can't remember if I have already posted on this thread, but I didn't vote for Boston either. I said LA.
oooooo according to the italics I accually did vote for Boston.

But, i mean, obviously Boston isn't the 2nd most important city in the country. It's just so outrageous that I had to vote for the home town.

EDIT: Btw I think someone has been making multiple accounts and voting Boston on a lot of polls. I see Boston winning a lot of polls that I kind of doubt.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,250,260 times
San Francisco, Boston, and Houston don't belong in the poll.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 PM

36,668 posts, read 67,634,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
San Francisco, Boston, and Houston don't belong in the poll.
Neither does Chicago or DC.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Washington is the capital city of the most powerful political and economic country in the world. Chicago, for crying out loud, has been called "the Second City" for decades and (I think) its most prominent school for actors is called Second City.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Washington is the capital city of the most powerful political and economic country in the world.
Sacramento is the capital city of the most powerful political and economic state in the nation.

Quote:
Chicago, for crying out loud, has been called "the Second City" for decades.
But that was before it became the "third" city.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 PM

Are you suggesting California is more important than the entire United States, 18Montclair?

Old 08-08-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Are you suggesting California is more important than the entire United States, 18Montclair?
How exactly do you interpret from my post that I am suggesting that?

I'm simply stating that to say that DC is more important than LA is saying that Austin is more important than Dallas, that Sacramento is more important than San Francisco, that Tallahasee is more important than Tampa, that Harrisburg is more important than Pittsburgh and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City