Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city gets the worst rep for crime?
New Orleans 39 26.90%
Los Angeles 21 14.48%
Atlanta 22 15.17%
Washington, D.C. 19 13.10%
Philadelphia 19 13.10%
Baltimore 27 18.62%
St. Louis 24 16.55%
Houston 1 0.69%
Detroit 71 48.97%
Cleveland 10 6.90%
Chicago 22 15.17%
Milwaukee 1 0.69%
Buffalo 4 2.76%
Other 14 9.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,577,594 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna throw a nod to Chicago because I know it the best and it is on the list... its pretty avoidable and felt more safe there walking around at night than anywhere in the southeast. It is mostly gang on gang crime, where here I feel more like it could happen to anybody. I guess its a safety in numbers thing. Usually people out, well lit, etc. FL has a lot of transients. Homeless in Chicago, no problemo just hanging out or trying to make a dime or hustling and would have conversations with. I feel the homeless here (interstate travelers) might stab you and usually avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,694,408 times
LA,but people don't understand how LA Crime has went down way down!!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,128,298 times
Atlanta and Detroit have the worst rep for crime. Many people talk about them being the only 2 cities in the U.S. that have crime, and still stuck in the crack epidemic days of the 80's and 90's. Atlanta has improved compared to 20 years ago, but not as recognizable and credible like how New York and Los Angeles has improved and now considered safe cities. The thing about Atlanta is that the gang problem is increasing, and all over the suburban areas that used to be safe. That is why many people think Atlanta is the most dangerous its ever been. Atlanta hit its low point in the mid-2000's, but over the last few years crime has been on the rise and heading back to the 1990's stats. I'm not sure about Detroit if the crime rate has gone down there or not. I think with their situation with GM and unemployment rates, it may get worse in the near future.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,082,262 times
How is LA there but not NYC?

LA crime rep was built in the late 80's and early 90's.....NYC was infamous for it's mafias and crime rate (led in robberies many times) and was a known world wide for crime from the 70's to the 90's. People always tought they would get mugged in NYC.

NYC has gotten better but so has LA. So why is it that they're on the list and not NYC? LA has been known for illegals and gangs. But I wouldn't say crime.

Last edited by DoubleXAs; 05-09-2009 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 05:00 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,255,225 times
All those cities have some reputation for crime, as far as I know, with a couple not really being known for it on a national level (Houston, Buffalo, Milwuakee). A few of those cities, such as Atlanta and LA, still have somewhat of a reputation for high crime....though they're now much safer than they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
How is LA there but not NYC?

LA crime rep was built in the late 80's and early 90's.....NYC was infamous for it's mafias and crime rate (led in robberies many times) and was a known world wide for crime from the 70's to the 90's. People always tought they would get mugged in NYC.

NYC has gotten better but so has LA. So why is it that they're on the list and not NYC? LA has been known for illegals and gangs. But I wouldn't say crime.
Aww, somebody's mad they're not included. Ok, NYC has the worst reputation. ESPECIALLY the South Bronx. Happy now? C'mon, I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that NYC had some of the worst crime back in the day, and earned a deserved reputation for it. These days though, even with the memory of all of that, most people don't really consider NYC to have a bad reputation for crime overall. Its funny that the same hasn't happened for LA with the huge drops it's had (though it's crime rate is still higher than NYC). I think LA maintains it high crime reputation because of Hollywood movies and the help of nearby cities such as Compton (plus the fact that many people just clump Compton and all other nearby cities into "LA," not knowing it's a separate place)...whereas NYC has Newark, for example, which also has had huge drops in crime since the early 90's. And once again, while Compton's crime rate is a lot lower than before, it's still pretty high, much higher than Newark's.

Also, you could say both LA and NYC's crime reputations were built in the 70's 80's and 90's. NYC's not alone there...In fact many, many cities throughout the nation saw huge crime spikes in that time period, and some had spikes even later (such as Philly, which was worse in the mid 90's onwards than it was in the 80's and early 90's).

Old 05-09-2009, 05:07 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,721,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
All those cities have some reputation for crime, as far as I know, with a couple not really being known for it on a national level (Houston, Buffalo, Milwuakee). A few of those cities, such as Atlanta and LA, still have somewhat of a reputation for high crime....though they're now much safer than they used to be.

Aww, somebody's mad they're not included. Ok, NYC has the worst reputation. ESPECIALLY the South Bronx. Happy now? C'mon, I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that NYC had some of the worst crime back in the day, and earned a deserved reputation for it. These days though, even with the memory of all of that, most people don't really consider NYC to have a bad reputation for crime overall. Its funny that the same hasn't happened for LA with the huge drops it's had (though it's crime rate is still higher than NYC). I think LA maintains it high crime reputation because of Hollywood movies and the help of nearby cities such as Compton (plus the fact that many people just clump Compton and all other nearby cities into "LA," not knowing it's a separate place)...whereas NYC has Newark, for example, which also has had huge drops in crime since the early 90's. And once again, while Compton's crime rate is a lot lower than before, it's still pretty high, much higher than Newark's.

Also, you could say both LA and NYC's crime reputations were built in the 70's 80's and 90's. NYC's not alone there...In fact many, many cities throughout the nation saw huge crime spikes in that time period, and some had spikes even later (such as Philly, which was worse in the mid 90's onwards than it was in the 80's and early 90's).

I have to disagree with some part of what you said. LA is always in the movies, but NYC is as well. Have you been to the movie theaters lately? Have you seen the movie called fighting? there are many other movies that NYC is portrayed in. So stop with the lying.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,082,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

No, I dont care about NYC not being on the list. I just think if you're going to include LA, you should include NYC. I also don't think Houston and Atlanta should be there.

Hey, I don't see San Fransisco there either.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:26 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,721,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
No, I dont care about NYC not being on the list. I just think if you're going to include LA, you should include NYC. I also don't think Houston and Atlanta should be there.

He just a hater.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,255,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have to disagree with some part of what you said. LA is always in the movies, but NYC is as well. Have you been to the movie theaters lately? Have you seen the movie called fighting? there are many other movies that NYC is portrayed in. So stop with the lying.
Yeah you are right about the movie thing, i didn't think about that (though LA still has to have more crime movies per capita than NYC). Everything else I said still stands though. No lies. Where did you think I was lying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi
He just a hater.
A hater? I just find it funny that NYC in the 70's through the early 90's has to be brought up EVERY time crime is mentioned, as if the world owes the existence of high crime rates to NYC...or no city can ever match NYC's crime or something. It's kinda like a famous older brother who's mad that his younger brother is now more famous, 20 years down the line:

"you have more crime than me? impossible, remember me in the 70's 80's and 90's? remember meeeeee??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario

What does San Francisco have to do with anything? I never mentioned it.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:30 PM

3,647 posts, read 8,332,917 times
Default snipers!?

watch where u walk!. I've been to this neighborhood and its SCARY at night but so so during the day. (i think ishowed this before, though) sometimes chi hoods/projects are mighty wild

YouTube - Chi-town Got Hood Snipers(Watch Where U Walk)

Last edited by mas23; 05-10-2009 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City