Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city gets the worst rep for crime?
New Orleans 39 26.90%
Los Angeles 21 14.48%
Atlanta 22 15.17%
Washington, D.C. 19 13.10%
Philadelphia 19 13.10%
Baltimore 27 18.62%
St. Louis 24 16.55%
Houston 1 0.69%
Detroit 71 48.97%
Cleveland 10 6.90%
Chicago 22 15.17%
Milwaukee 1 0.69%
Buffalo 4 2.76%
Other 14 9.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:46 AM

938 posts, read 4,098,274 times

Advertisements

There's still an incredibly ignorant stigma regarding crime and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,485,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
How is LA there but not NYC?

LA crime rep was built in the late 80's and early 90's.....NYC was infamous for it's mafias and crime rate (led in robberies many times) and was a known world wide for crime from the 70's to the 90's. People always tought they would get mugged in NYC.

NYC has gotten better but so has LA. So why is it that they're on the list and not NYC? LA has been known for illegals and gangs. But I wouldn't say crime.
LMAO How pathetic! You really do lose sleep at night if people aren't convinced that NYC is the most dangerous place on the planet, don't you? LOL. The OP and many, many, many others do not consider NYC to be reputed for crime any longer. Deal with it. Crying on here about it doesn't make you guys sound any tougher lol.

LA has been known for gangs, but YOU wouldn't say crime?? LMFAO are you even aware that you just said that?! What do you think these gangs do all day, hold peace rallys? Do volunteer work for the elderly?? If LA wasn't known for crime, then how could NYC be when its crime is at rates that are doubled (and in some cases almost tripled) by LA's? LOL man you still want the crown so bad...I have no idea why.

Quote:
No, I dont care about NYC not being on the list.
Sure you don't. Reading your previous posts, how could one ever come to the conclusion that YOU would care about NYC not being on this list.

Quote:
Hey, I don't see San Fransisco there either.
You're correct. You know what else you don't see? Any San Franciscans on here whining about not being on the list.

We don't have this odd insecurity that you guys have (for whatever reason) that causes you to take issue with your city NOT being listed for something negative.

Last edited by jman650; 05-11-2009 at 02:33 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have to disagree with some part of what you said. LA is always in the movies, but NYC is as well. Have you been to the movie theaters lately? Have you seen the movie called fighting? there are many other movies that NYC is portrayed in. So stop with the lying.
Yes, both are in the movies. So what? That just means that they've had equal exposure through cinema, and NYC has failed to develop enough of a rep recently to make this list. Who cares anyway?? You guys are actually getting bent out of shape b/c your city isn't perceived to be the worst anymore? What's wrong with you people?

And how do you figure was he lying? What exactly was he lying about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
He just a hater.
Yeah I know, seriously! I mean why couldn't he show the respect Mario was when he threw his little, ineffective jab at SF?

You guys are hilarious lol. So can you explain how he was somehow being a hater at any point in what he said?? Is it that he ruffled some feathers by speaking up? But its okay for you guys to do it, right? LMAO you insecure NYers are all comedy. Too bad you make your city look bad in the process of entertaining us.

Last edited by jman650; 05-11-2009 at 02:34 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Aww, somebody's mad they're not included. Ok, NYC has the worst reputation. ESPECIALLY the South Bronx. Happy now?

Also, you could say both LA and NYC's crime reputations were built in the 70's 80's and 90's. NYC's not alone there...In fact many, many cities throughout the nation saw huge crime spikes in that time period, and some had spikes even later (such as Philly, which was worse in the mid 90's onwards than it was in the 80's and early 90's).
Careful Rah. You don't want him to break out the infamous "South Bronx Stats" again that he thinks impresses anyone, do you? Just tell him we're all terribly fearful of the South Bronx now b/c it was horrible in the 70s so he can get some rest tonight.

Quote:
I just find it funny that NYC in the 70's through the early 90's has to be brought up EVERY time crime is mentioned, as if the world owes the existence of high crime rates to NYC...or no city can ever match NYC's crime or something. It's kinda like a famous older brother who's mad that his younger brother is now more famous, 20 years down the line:

"you have more crime than me? impossible, remember me in the 70's 80's and 90's? remember meeeeee??"
LOL exactly. Its like the washed-up boxer that feels the need to prove he's still got it b/c he's threatened by the prospect of his younger counterpart whoopin him. I'm finding it particularly entertaining now when I enter a thread and just wait for mention of their former "glory." Usually Mario is the first one to bring it up.

The funniest part is that they try to deny that they're taking pride in it. That's the only thing I find more pathetic than the need to wear their old crime stats like a badge of honor. To have that ridiculous fascination with extreme crime rates in your hometown, and then to not even have the courage to admit that you take pride in it is pretty sad.

Once a few months back Mario tried to deny that he was glorifying crime in NY. LOL. There's about as much truth to that as there would be in somebody claiming that dementor loves Chicago.

Quote:
What does San Francisco have to do with anything? I never mentioned it.
Nothing at all, but he was desperate. You never mentioned it, but you exposed him pretty good by stating logic alongside fact, and that left him pretty short of options other than to try and take a jab at you. He thought stating the obvious would bother you. As if we don't know SF does not have a rep for high crime, and are somehow hurt by that fact lol. We actually benefit from the fact that people think our crime is lower than it is.

Its also why his buddy labelled you a "hater". They have this misconception that the rest of us take just as much pride in our high crime rates. They don't get that we're really not proud of it b/c its nothing to be proud of. A normal response would have been to thank you for commenting on how vastly improved their city is.

Apparently with this lot, that's the ultimate in disrespect. LMAO pathetic!

Last edited by jman650; 05-11-2009 at 02:37 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,996,223 times
Detroit BY FAR! Other than its automobile industries, crime and ghetto are its two other claims to fame (or shall we say notoriety)....

Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM

163 posts, read 494,402 times
These two threads go hand in hand

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ml#post8841104

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,692,109 times
jman,Don't ind Mario here's a Fresh Ny'er,he'll vote for Ny no matter what,He will Bash La and everyother city than Ny as much as he wants,not that I care for his post just ignore Him.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,075,582 times
I added other: NYC. Look at all the crime that they produce for the TV shows or movies. That does generate bad rep and 95% of the shows are based in NYC, not places like Detroit or Camden. A large majority of people view a city from what they see on their tv screen.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,095,056 times
All major cities have crime and heavy crime areas--Philly, Chicago--but for reputation some of the worst aren't on the list--Memphis-Newark-Camden--these cities are more pervasive with crime-ridden areas and Memphis has the reputation(true or not I don't know) of being the murder capital of the country at times. Unfortunately, I live on an interstate that runs directly from Memphis to New Orleans--another one that has random murders on the streets, in tourist areas, and residential neighborhoods.
For example, my son lives in Atlanta and it has crime but i feel perfectly safe in Atlanta except for some areas. I don't feel safe anywhere in new Orleans at any time of day. Washington, D.C. has bad locales but i can visit there, take th emetro, and walk around freely in the tourist spots. Not so--newark--wouldn't want to be there anytime or any place.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,682,251 times
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/MetroCrime2008_Rank_Rev.pdf

Crime statistics for Metro areas compiled from FBI data. NYC is in negative territory. You can probably "thank" 9/11 for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City