Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you like better?
California 137 71.35%
Georgia 55 28.65%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Hawaii?
Hawaii is one of (if not the) most unique in the US, but it's not the most varied.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,297,318 times
Live? Georgia, Atlanta to be exact.
Visit? California! SF and LA are amazing vacations.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM

161 posts, read 182,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hoang View Post
(1) California has a better education program than Georgia
---Average SAT Scores of Georgia: 1460
---Average SAT Scores of California: 1510
(2) Besides, who cares about the illegal aliens. Make them citizens.
(3) With the recession, every state have economic problems. That'll change when the economy go up
most cali kids probably go out of state for college cuz schools there are so bad (lausd? really? hah!). at least thats what i heard

Old 07-28-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollster31 View Post
most cali kids probably go out of state for college cuz schools there are so bad (lausd? really? hah!). at least thats what i heard
If that's what you heard, you need to stop listening to people who have no clue what they're talking about. That doesn't make any sense considering we have UCLA, Stanford, USC, UC Berkeley, all of which are highly-regarded schools that many people from all over the US and abroad hope to get into.

LAUSD does suck, so you heard that right. But that's one school district. I know that since you come from a state where one city makes up the bulk of the state's population, culture, etc. this may be hard to grasp, but go across the hills into the SFV/SGV and the schools are way better. Go south to Long Beach, they're way better. Not all of California is LA.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If that's what you heard, you need to stop listening to people who have no clue what they're talking about. That doesn't make any sense considering we have UCLA, Stanford, USC, UC Berkeley, all of which are highly-regarded schools that many people from all over the US and abroad hope to get into.

LAUSD does suck, so you heard that right. But that's one school district. I know that since you come from a state where one city makes up the bulk of the state's population, culture, etc. this may be hard to grasp, but go across the hills into the SFV/SGV and the schools are way better. Go south to Long Beach, they're way better. Not all of California is LA.
but california's largest city is la, therefore la is representative of california. 4 million out of 37 million is a lot of people. therefore if the largest city sucks at education, every city sucks at education.

just like how georgia is representative of atlanta, massachusetts with boston, nevada with las vegas, new york with nyc, illinois with chicago, etc. etc. why is california any different from this rule?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:04 PM

23 posts, read 45,668 times
I've lived in Metro Atlanta my entire life and i have almost died of boredom. I've been to San Francisco and Los Angeles and i would do ANYTHING to live in one of those cities. I never run out of things to do in these cities. There's only one catch.

MONEY.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLpersian View Post
I've lived in Metro Atlanta my entire life and i have almost died of boredom. I've been to San Francisco and Los Angeles and i would do ANYTHING to live in one of those cities. I never run out of things to do in these cities. There's only one catch.

MONEY.
come to nyc man! it will blow you away if sf and la blew you away. trust me, everyone who ever comes to the city loves it.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLpersian View Post
I've lived in Metro Atlanta my entire life and i have almost died of boredom.
No wonder; look at where you live.

LA and SF definitely have more to do than Atlanta, but no way is Atlanta boring.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
well most of it feels like mexico...so...

where is this supposed variety? doesnt georgia have the contrast between tropical beaches and mountains as well? and north carolina? and new jersey?

arizona has deserts and mountains. washington has forests, mountains, and a coast.

yeah, cali isnt that unique in that regard.
Where's the variety?

The highest and lowest points in the continental US (less than 200 miles from each other, no less), many different mountain ranges, Mediterranean climates, desert climates, alpine climates, temperate rainforests, the largest/oldest/tallest known living organisms on earth (redwood trees, giant sequoias, bristlecone pines), a huge agricultural region, salt water lakes, the deepest alpine lake in North America, volcanoes, a huge bay, etc, etc, not to mention the various cities. The state is very varied, and most of it does NOT feel like mexico (So Cal yes, in terms of climate...Nor Cal? NO). Your irrational hate for California is strange.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
but california's largest city is la, therefore la is representative of california.
I'm not saying that LA isn't a massive part of the California lexicon - it most certainly is. But...

Quote:
4 million out of 37 million is a lot of people.
...how can a city that has 9.25% of a very large state that extends many hundreds of miles north-south be the only representation of a place?

You've made it clear that you have a baseline contempt for California; a lot of that probably stems from the fact that you've got no idea what the state is like. In terms of landmass, we're three times as big as New York. You've pointed this out many times yourself (that we're "too big" a state and could be split in two).

Total logical fallacy, based on your narrow interpretation of what it's like in NY. I mean, in one of your threads, you were all like, "SF is the #4 city in California. Don't compare it to NYC. Compare it to NY's #4 city, Yonkers." That proves that you really just have absolutely no valid perspective on California. Our #4 city is 4x bigger than your #4 city, and while ours is known all over the world and attracts millions of tourists, has been featured in countless films, TV shows, songs, books; has spawned cultural movements that have changed the American diaspora... how many people have seriously heard of Yonkers outside of a passing ancdote outside of the Northeastern US??

Quote:
therefore if the largest city sucks at education, every city sucks at education.
No. This is another gross logical fallacy... not only is it a logical fallacy, it's just plain wrong.

Quote:
just like how georgia is representative of atlanta, massachusetts with boston, nevada with las vegas, new york with nyc, illinois with chicago, etc. etc. why is california any different from this rule?
Cause we aren't any of those states. We're bigger, we have more people, and the'yre spread over a much greater span.

Georgia has Atlanta. After Atlanta (420k), GA has Augusta, with 195k.

Mass has Boston. After Boston (617k), Mass has Worcester, with 181k people.

Nevada has Las Vegas. After LV (580+k), NV's second largest city is Henderson, with 257k people.

New York has NYC. After NYC (8+ mil), NY's largest city is Buffalo, with 260k people.

California has LA (3.8 mil), SF (800+k), Sacramento (466k), and San Diego (945k). Our #10 city in population is Anaheim, which at 336k people is bigger than your #2 city by 76k people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City