Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 01:15 AM

494 posts, read 804,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I didn't say all rushed people are rude or all slow people are nice...just that you tend to have a lot of rude people in the northeast and many people up there are always in a rush. Not my kind of lifestyle. Give me the beautiful beach towns of Florida.

And the occasional cat 5 hurricane. Have you ever ventured outside the city and it's burbs ( be it Philly or Pittsburgh ) in PA? I strongly suspect you haven't. ANY city you tend to go to people tend to be more rude doesn't matter if it is Philly or Miami, etc. Ofcourse a lot of this has to do with how people approach each other. I do agree that in general the NE tends to have more snobby/rude people then anywhere else in the country except perhaps S.CA? Ofcourse west of all the major cities in the ne and their burbs it is not nearly as bad.

Sorry but you couldn't pay me to live in Florida. Can keep all that heat and humidity, cat 5 hurricanes etc. Plus i do enjoy all 4 seasons. If you hate winter then yeah FL is obviously the better choice. FL has some very nice beaches but other then that it is flat and not very interesting like PA is thanks to the mountains etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Well, having lived in CA and HI, yes PA has some pretty scenery but it doesn't impress me that much. I do love Florida's wetlands though. I find them and the tropical plants so much more appealing.

As for Hurricanes, they do go further north than Florida...remember Sandy? And serious hurricanes aren't even that common in Florida.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 AM

494 posts, read 804,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Well, having lived in CA and HI, yes PA has some pretty scenery but it doesn't impress me that much. I do love Florida's wetlands though. I find them and the tropical plants so much more appealing.

As for Hurricanes, they do go further north than Florida...remember Sandy? And serious hurricanes aren't even that common in Florida.
S.FL/FL Keys is awesome in that regard with the wetlands/tropical plants.

As for Major/Serious hurricanes see this..500 years of hurricane history - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

On average one major ( Cat 3 or stronger ) hits FL a decade.

Oh and Sandy didn't do much in PA unlike NJ and NY. And all knows they are not as common up that way. FL is the highest risk state.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 PM

52 posts, read 109,537 times
Per Wikipedia, of all the states, Florida ranks #5 in population growth, Pennsylvania ranks #42. Even Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas are growing faster than PA. PA is clearly in a state of decline.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:13 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Per Wikipedia, of all the states, Florida ranks #5 in population growth, Pennsylvania ranks #42. Even Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas are growing faster than PA. PA is clearly in a state of decline.
Do explain, how can a state be simultaneously growing yet declining? Slow growth is still growth, is it not?

Old 06-30-2014, 09:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Florida is a great place to visit in the winter, or maybe even spend an entire winter or two in, but I would never live there year round. The heat and humidity are already bad enough here, and I don't need to be trapped in my air-conditioned house for 5 months of the year. I also prefer my four seasons and denser, more compact cities, which is something Florida lacks. I understand the appeal of it, but it's definitely not my thing.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvmdmd View Post
Also note that many of the nations most developed and most expensive states such as PA, NJ, CT, etc all have slower growth rates, the extremely high cost of living and development scarcity around the urban centers are a big reason why these states are growing at slower rates.

And I would live in PA, NJ, or CT over Alabama and Mississippi any day. Hell would freeze over before I would move down there.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
The Philadelphia area blows anything out the water that Florida has to offer including Miami. Miami is great to visit, just not live year round.

Pittsburgh area blows anything out of the water that Florida has to offer excluding Miami and Orlando.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:11 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
The Philadelphia area blows anything out the water that Florida has to offer including Miami. Miami is great to visit, just not live year round.

Pittsburgh area blows anything out of the water that Florida has to offer excluding Miami and Orlando.
Southeast Florida has top-notch beaches and decent weather. OTOH, Greater Philly has great city amenities and a lot of historic things to see. I would say that Greater Philly's local economy is better than Southeast Florida/Miami MSAs local economy but someone can make the argument that Southeast Florida has more international influence (especially in South America).

With that being said, I don't find much appeal in both of those areas compared to other major areas in the country.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Southeast Florida has top-notch beaches and decent weather. OTOH, Greater Philly has great city amenities and a lot of historic things to see. I would say that Greater Philly's local economy is better than Southeast Florida/Miami MSAs local economy but someone can make the argument that Southeast Florida has more international influence (especially in South America).

With that being said, I don't find much appeal in both of those areas compared to other major areas in the country.
Greater Philadelphia competes with some of the best the country has to offer. Easily. Great city amenities, some of the best suburbs in the country, easy beach access and easy mountain access. Close to other major cities, etc.

I would say Florida as a whole beats the state of PA, however Philadelphia and Pittsburgh outmatch most of Florida. Philadelphia alone outmatches anything in Florida.

My girlfriend and I just came back from a 4 day trip to Miami Beach. While the area is great, it does not offer much for a year long resident. There's a reason those condo towers in Miami are 75% part time vacation homes and time shares, and not full time residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City