Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs Philly
Atlanta 145 38.36%
Philadelphia 233 61.64%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:03 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Or because there are many more Atlanta boosters than Philly on this site
Its possible.But why are there more people voting for Philly?I bet if the question was where would you rather live;Philly or Atlanta,Philly would still win.What I find strange is why that is not true by reality.That is what I said about "vendettas".Some people will like anything as long as it is not in the South.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeradford View Post
philly looks the best and i rather live in philly then atlanta
Gee,all of ONE(1)post and that was the most compelling thing to say out of all the threads and topics on C-D?

Old 11-22-2009, 11:19 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
First off, I will give credit to Atlanta. Atlanta is improving. If they keep growing, one day they will be a skyline for some of these cities to compete with. They have to fill in some gaps. However, I don't believe some do that Atlanta is all that bad. I think, if I were to see it up close, I would be impressed. Not to say that photo's don't help the cause. I just think it is easy to over react to pictures both good and bad. I thought Los Angeles skyline was better in person. Then again, I wasn't expecting much. I have been to NYC too many times, so no place really impressess me that much. What's more important to me than a skyline as I am getting older is the city as a whole. Does it offer alot? Is there alot to do. Is there a nice balance between neighborhoods and business? These types of things matter more to me. I have lived in cities with nice skylines, which really didn't have much else to offer. Los Angeles wasn't built up llike Chicago or NY but they have a nice vibe. In regards to not offending anyone's home. I will refrain from saying which cities that I think fall into the category of sterile or boring.

With all that mumbo jumbo being said, I would vote Philly. Philly's skyline is really nice. Atlanta is nice too but it "looks" too spread out still.
A good point made here. Comparing skylines is a rather superficial past-time here on C-D. People have come to realize that the quality of a city is not in its skyline but in activity going on at ground level. I think the density argument is a better indicator as to what constitutes a great metropolitan area, much more so than a skyline.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I love my hometown here and I think Atlanta's skyline is wonderful and only going to get better but Philly just has more of my personal preference of architecture. I had to vote Philly for now. In a few years probably Atlanta though.
I agree.(partially).Philly has some great structures that Atlanta will never have.Like City Hall,Rittenhouse Square, Independence Hall etc...I also like the stone used in the older homes like my Aunts house in Yeadon or my other Aunts house in Mt.Airy.That having been said,it is not at all transferable in Philly's skyline.You can see none of it in its skyline.There is not much variety in Philly skyline.I dare anyone to take the top 5 tallest buildings of each city and compare to see which scraper is the best.I can say without question,Atlanta would win all 5.

Last edited by afonega1; 11-22-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
A good point made here. Comparing skylines is a rather superficial past-time here on C-D. People have come to realize that the quality of a city is not in its skyline but in activity going on at ground level. I think the density argument is a better indicator as to what constitutes a great metropolitan area, much more so than a skyline.
This maybe true,but what I have seen on here or elsewhere is people who do not move into those urban dense filled areas.They move from either a very urban city in the North to the suburbs down South,and then complain because there is no public transportation in Peachtree City.
Most people do not complain that the city itself is that inadequate.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
There is not much variety in Philly skyline.I dare anyone to take the top 5 tallest buildings of each city and compare to see which scraper is the best.I can say without question,Atlanta would win all 5.
I would highly consider paying attention to Philadelphia's skyline next time you see it.

Old 11-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I would highly consider paying attention to Philadelphia's skyline next time you see it.
You mean 2 months ago when I was last there?Or when I go back to visit my family for Christmas?

Old 11-22-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
when I go back to visit my family for Christmas?
Yes

The Whole Variety thing/top five buildings thing shows me either

1. You have not payed much attention
2. You are biased

Probably the latter

Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Yes

The Whole Variety thing/top five buildings thing shows me either

1. You have not payed much attention
2. You are biased

Probably the latter
I highly doubt the skyline has will have changed much in Philly in less than 6months.Well thats your opinion.But its rather shallow if you try and simplify your perception of someones views because you do not agree.

1)I love Philly
2)I hate Philly
No bias at all,just opinions.In my opinion if the majority of a cities high rises were built prior to 1970's then how can the skyline be so varied?Most of Philly's stock is older post modern or neo-classical styles.Neither in (Philly's case) stands out overwhelmingly in its skyline.Especially when until 1980's there were height restrictions.That is why I said skyline wise,Philly looses.I agree with the other poster that said it looks like a mini NYC,but with less architectural stand-outs.

Oh and BTW im not from Atlanta.I used to live in Philly as well as much of my family is still there.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Variety isn't subjective

Top 5 thing is subjective, and therefore you can truley think Atlanta owns all 5 top spots, though im sure if Comcast center or One Liberty were in Atlanta you would gladly put them up in your top five
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City