Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NY/NJ vs FL
NY/NJ 48 57.14%
FL 36 42.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I agree with you. I like NY/NJ better because it's my home, also. Aside from that I think it is better here all-around. I just don't understand why so many people who picked NY/NJ feel the need to bash and mischaracterize a great state (to visit or live in) like Florida. If I were to leave NY/NJ, I have a short list of places I would want to go, and Florida is on that short list. It's great there.
just think of WINTER Florida weather and don't realize what the other 9 months are like with heat indexes of over 100 degrees. You like those temps for that long a time period, my hats off to you. I don't and never have (lived here before). I just plain could never see what the appeal was in this state anyway. Long before I ever set foot in it. Well, to each his own.

No, the employment situation is not better. It's just that my husband has a now very obscure expertise in the IT field, and somplace in Florida needed it. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:53 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Its currently 68 in San Diego, California. So its actually warmer in South Jersey than it is in Southern California. 69 sounds good to me.
I'd sacrifice a few degrees of temp in exchange for some sun and no rain, so I think San Diego still wins...

Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
just think of WINTER Florida weather and don't realize what the other 9 months are like with heat indexes of over 100 degrees. You like those temps for that long a time period, my hats off to you. I don't and never have (lived here before). I just plain could never see what the appeal was in this state anyway. Long before I ever set foot in it. Well, to each his own.
I've spent plenty of time in Florida during the non-winter months and it's not that bad. Most days were very pleasant,, despite the heat and humidity. Plenty of air conditioning and outdoor activities are possible just about every day. In Florida, they know what kind of weather they are dealing with and do a good job adapting to it. I loved being able to go to a bar or restaurant and sit out on their deck or patio which was covered and had fans, it was very comfortable to relax that way, being outside but still shielded from the sun and cooled off with a nice breeze. In NJ I have 3 months to do that; the rest of the year I'm forced to be indoors most of the time.

As you said, YOU could never see the appeal in Florida's weather but as I mentioned before, YOU are the minority. Most people easily see the appeal to warm weather and plenty of sunshine.

Quote:
No, the employment situation is not better. It's just that my husband has a now very obscure expertise in the IT field, and somplace in Florida needed it. That's all.
Apparently Florida's job market is better in your case, since Florida was able to provide a job opportunity that no company in the NY/NJ area or the rest of the nation could provide. You should be thankful to Florida for that. If not for a Florida job opportunity your husband would remain unemployed.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:14 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
As you said, YOU could never see the appeal in Florida's weather but as I mentioned before, YOU are the minority. Most people easily see the appeal to warm weather and plenty of sunshine.
She is clearly not in the minority considering the Northeast is one of the highest population centers in the United States.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
She is clearly not in the minority considering the Northeast is one of the highest population centers in the United States.
The Northeast will always be one of the highest population centers in the US as it is the oldest part of the US. When people leave here, though, Florida is one of the top destinations that they move to. Plus, with the exception of NY City, Florida attracts far more visitors.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:22 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Are you sure about that? you need to do some more research. The south is more populated.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:23 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
I just don't think the measure of a place is how many people move there or visit there. Sure that has something to do with it, but it's not even in my list of top considerations.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:24 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default My husband should have gotten out of IT

Quote:
I've spent plenty of time in Florida during the non-winter months and it's not that bad. Most days were very pleasant,, despite the heat and humidity. Plenty of air conditioning and outdoor activities are possible just about every day. In Florida, they know what kind of weather they are dealing with and do a good job adapting to it. I loved being able to go to a bar or restaurant and sit out on their deck or patio which was covered and had fans, it was very comfortable to relax that way, being outside but still shielded from the sun and cooled off with a nice breeze. In NJ I have 3 months to do that; the rest of the year I'm forced to be indoors most of the time.

Apparently Florida's job market is better in your case, since Florida was able to provide a job opportunity that no company in the NY/NJ area or the rest of the nation could provide. You should be thankful to Florida for that. If not for a Florida job opportunity your husband would remain unemployed.
years ago. The fact that Florida still uses ancient technology where other places don't, says a lot about Florida companies and the state of its economy. Nothing to be "grateful" to Florida for. The STATE of Florida didn't hire him.

Anyway, you hiberate for 3 months and I hibernate for 12 months. I don't like sun, heat, humidity, or summer activities. My perogative. I think you will find, and I posted a thread about this, the majority of people would probably like a week or two vacation in the winter in Florida, but they would not want to live here year round either. That seems to be the majority view from around the country stated in that thread.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:36 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times
While I can't argue that some people don't like heat, I think it is ridiculous to say that Florida has 9 months of 100 degree heat indexes. In Orlando, the weather is wonderful from November through March. Averages 70s highs and 50s lows. April and October aren't that bad either, so it's really just 5 months of hell. The north has 5 months of hell too, at least, but instead of sweating you have to put on layers of clothing just to walk outside, then wait for your car's heater to turn on while you freeze to death. To each his own indeed...the lesser of two evils to me is the heat.

Average Weather for Orlando, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 06-18-2009, 02:41 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
years ago. The fact that Florida still uses ancient technology where other places don't, says a lot about Florida companies and the state of its economy. Nothing to be "grateful" to Florida for. The STATE of Florida didn't hire him.

Anyway, you hiberate for 3 months and I hibernate for 12 months. I don't like sun, heat, humidity, or summer activities. My perogative. I think you will find, and I posted a thread about this, the majority of people would probably like a week or two vacation in the winter in Florida, but they would not want to live here year round either. That seems to be the majority view from around the country stated in that thread.
Your Perogative seems to be bashing Florida, even if you have to make up Moderator cut: .. claims. Or over egzagerate things like Florida's heat.

Last edited by Keeper; 06-18-2009 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: removed stupid.. let's not get personal..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City