Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most Underrated City?
Albuquerque 57 16.15%
Charlotte 30 8.50%
Denver 44 12.46%
El Paso 17 4.82%
Portland 38 10.76%
Milwaukee 53 15.01%
Oklahoma City 25 7.08%
Tucson 9 2.55%
Other (You name it) Has to be on the top 50 Largest! 80 22.66%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 PM

159 posts, read 511,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I would put Portland, Denver and Milwaukee at the top of the list, the other's are just nice small cities to visit.

The rest aren't small cities lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabq View Post
The rest aren't small cities lol?
I don't want to sound elitist but Tucson, El Paso, Alba-whatever, Oklahoma City to me aren't big boy cities they don't hold a candle to Portland, Milwaukee, Denver. They aren't major league cities not in the baseball aspect but on a national level. Charlotte I guess you could make an argument is a big league city however to me Charlotte is just "new money".

Again not ragging on those smaller cities I know they are great cities but they don't belong in the same category as a Denver or Milwaukee.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:39 PM

159 posts, read 511,391 times
Quote:
I don't want to sound elitist but Tucson, El Paso, Alba-whatever, Oklahoma City to me aren't big boy cities they don't hold a candle to Portland, Milwaukee, Denver. They aren't major league cities not in the baseball aspect but on a national level. Charlotte I guess you could make an argument is a big league city however to me Charlotte is just "new money".

Again not ragging on those smaller cities I know they are great cities but they don't belong in the same category as a Denver or Milwaukee.

In what aspects? Culturally, Albuquerque (not alba whatever), Tucson, El Paso all have more culture than Milwaukee and Denver >.< If you mean as importance to the country, true those cities aren't as important. Yet. They are some of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. so don't be suprised if they become more important in a couple years :/

Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
New money or not, I think Charlotte ranks in the category of Denver, Milwaukee and Portland.

Are you using something like national sports teams and MSA's around 2 million or greater as the criteria for large cities?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
What does it mean for a city to have "more culture" than another?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:58 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What does it mean for a city to have "more culture" than another?
Good question, but of course its an opinion and not a fact. Still most reasonable people will say that although San Francisco and Daly City are both cities right next to each other --- its obvious that one has more "culture" than the other.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good question, but of course its an opinion and not a fact. Still most reasonable people will say that although San Francisco and Daly City are both cities right next to each other --- its obvious that one has more "culture" than the other.

Agreed, the same people who argue who has more theater or museums are the same people that haven't been to either in the last 5 years.

So let's me see if I can define culture:
theaters
museums
art galleries
foreign born people?
architecture ?
ethnic food spots/delis ?
music
bars?
music festivals?
festivals?
neighborhood festivals?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times
Quote:

Alba-whatever?, are you that Uneducated. Well It is Albuquerque fyi, anyways.. we know you are biased for your precious Milwaukee. Albuquerque is at 524,000+ that is considered a "Big City" I know, I'm an Urban-Suburban planner. Denver (city proper) is still in the 580,000+ zone.. so its not so big.. the metro is maybe same with Milwaukee (city-proper) at 602,191. Your like lost in your own world, Oklahoma City already has an NBA team.. and Albuquerque's small league sports do pretty well. Especially with baseball. And Lobo Basketball. Not many universities in this country can sell out 24 times in a row, in fact thats 4th in the nation. We are not a small city anymore that was 2000 when we were in 460,000.. Times are changing.. So at least google Albuquerque if you dont know how to spell it.

...Well and Albuquerque has more culture than Milwaukee will ever have. You just need to get out more.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:

Milwaukee

Photo by compujeramey

Charlotte
Photo by James Willamor

Keep in mind that Charlotte's second tallest building is actually missing from this photo. If Milwaukee is 'big league' then so is Charlotte. IMHO, both cities are just midsized. Chicago is big league to me. Just saying...

I will give you this though. Milwaukee is MUCH more urban than Charlotte. Charlotte sprawls quite a bit (but so does every town in the south). Anyways, both are midsized US cities. Make no mistake about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
New money or not, I think Charlotte ranks in the category of Denver, Milwaukee and Portland.

Are you using something like national sports teams and MSA's around 2 million or greater as the criteria for large cities?
If he is, then Charlotte is larger than Milwaukee.

Milwaukee
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/?id=milwaukee-wi-usa

Charlotte
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/?id=charlotte-nc-usa

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-16-2009 at 11:52 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
^^ both those cities have very nice skylines

and i'm impressed with the love for ABQ - any pics of that city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City