Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is LESS southern, Austin or NOVA(North Virginia)?
Austin 34 21.38%
North Virginia 125 78.62%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 01:24 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I think it’s the crowd you hang out with. Two big NASCAR events are in Austin and Fort Worth. Trust me it’s popular here in Texas.

https://circuitoftheamericas.com/eve...Truck%20Series!

https://www.texasmotorspeedway.com/
I specifically mentioned that there is now a NASCAR race in Austin? I still don't know a single person who is a NASCAR fan having grown up in Texas. Again, I'm not saying that they don't exist, but to suggest that NASCAR is a particularly popular sport in the suburbs of Austin is very much against my personal experience. Even my wife's extended family who are from extremely rural parts of Texas don't follow NASCAR to my knowledge. (It's football, football, football...)

I don't find that a state of 30 million hosting two races a year does much to disprove that. California also has multiple races on the NASCAR calendar.

Edit: here is some data for you. NASCAR popularity by state. Note Texas at the very bottom below Massachusetts.

Last edited by whereiend; 08-21-2023 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 06:10 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Rural areas always keep their heritage more so than urban areas. Not just in the south. I.e. New England.
Not always. Exhibit A is a state in New England.

Quote:
I don’t disagree that the cities mentioned have drifted from their old southern heritage as compared to Montgomery, Alabama. I disagree that the change makes them less southern. I see it as the South evolves and by nature, rural cities and smaller towns maintain their heritage the most.
The cities absolutely become less characteristically Southern as we currently define it as more and more non-Southerners migrate there in large numbers.

I think the hangup here is that a geographically descriptive term ("Southern") functions more as a cultural descriptor which makes things complicated in the midst of relatively rapid cultural change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City