Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please vote for the best rail outside N.E., Chicago, Bay
Atlanta 55 29.57%
Cleveland 10 5.38%
Dallas 10 5.38%
Denver 4 2.15%
Detroit 0 0%
Houston 3 1.61%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Kansas City 1 0.54%
Los Angeles 58 31.18%
Miami 3 1.61%
Minneapolis 3 1.61%
Orlando 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 0.54%
Phoenix 2 1.08%
Portland 14 7.53%
Saint Louis 2 1.08%
Salt Lake 2 1.08%
San Diego 1 0.54%
Seattle 7 3.76%
Tampa 1 0.54%
Other 9 4.84%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 02:35 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
I see a lot of discussion about mileage and stations, but what about ridership?
From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ransit_systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 03:27 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Historically, as in 150+ years ago when many of the western states were still territories. The country has evolved considerably since then and use of "Southern" in this case is seemingly wielded these days by those who look down their noses at DC and Baltimore as lesser for whatever reason. Which is rather comical given the provincial nature of cities like Philadelphia and Boston.
The country has evolved considerably in the 159 years since the Civil War -- and slavery? Of course. "Southern" is not a term I "wield", but mentioned as a matter of historical context, as I was merely addressing another poster who wondered why certain areas are still referred to as being in the South. For me, it's merely a matter of context, not 'looking down [my] nose' at certain regions or cities, and certainly not against Baltimore and DC, the latter of which I lived in . . . and love (and still consider my 2nd home).

Old 01-24-2024, 10:32 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinBueno View Post
I see a lot of discussion about mileage and stations, but what about ridership?
As of 3rd Qtr 2023, these were the avg weekday ridership numbers of those aforementioned heavy rail systems:

New York City Subway (MTA)- 6,262,300
Washington Metro (WMATA)- 475,000
Chicago (CTA)- 388,600
Boston (MBTA)- 283,900
PATH NJ- 183,300
SEPTA N/A
SF BART- 158,400
Atlanta (MARTA)- 98,700
(Metro) Los Angeles- 73,700
Miami Metrorail- 45,400
Baltimore N/A
Cleveland- 9,700
Honolulu- 3,700

https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uplo...rship-APTA.pdf

Old 01-25-2024, 12:11 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Actually BART, WMATA, and MARTA all have the similar designs for their trainsets.
Um, the cities that have identical railcar designs are Atlanta, Baltimore and Miami. Budd (later Transit America) built the cars for all three.

Washington's railcars have a fish-belly cross-section that distinguishes them from every other subway car fleet in the country. The initial order was built by Rohr Industries; subsequent orders have been built by Breda, Alstom, Kawasaki and <mumble>.

BART's original fleet, the oldest of this group — BART (opened 1971) being the first totally new rapid transit system in the country to open since Cleveland's Red Line — had a radically different design from anything before or since, with sloped ends on the front and rear cars of each train (where the operator's cab was located). BART's track gauge (5' 6") was also unique. I believe that the more recent car order is a little more conventional-looking.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:04 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Um, the cities that have identical railcar designs are Atlanta, Baltimore and Miami. Budd (later Transit America) built the cars for all three.

Washington's railcars have a fish-belly cross-section that distinguishes them from every other subway car fleet in the country. The initial order was built by Rohr Industries; subsequent orders have been built by Breda, Alstom, Kawasaki and <mumble>.

BART's original fleet, the oldest of this group — BART (opened 1971) being the first totally new rapid transit system in the country to open since Cleveland's Red Line — had a radically different design from anything before or since, with sloped ends on the front and rear cars of each train (where the operator's cab was located). BART's track gauge (5' 6") was also unique. I believe that the more recent car order is a little more conventional-looking.
Yes, BART is stuck with its non-standard gauge, of course, but the new cars (the old fleet is now 100% retired)
all have flat fronts. The most important distinction for passengers is that there are three sets of doors
on each side, rather than the two sets that the old cars had.

What is a fish-belly cross section? I haven't heard that expression before.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Hitachi is the latest manufacturer for the upcoming 8000 series trains. They should begin production in 2025, if not by late this year.

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/me...ign-Review.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
The center "belly" of the DC Metro trains have a wider look as the train then slants inward starting at the center towards the top, and originally were designed with a signature hexagonal shape at the front of the trains. So even with their various rolling stock by different manufacturers, they keep that signature look in shape/design even with the more modern trains.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...ck#2000-series

Old 01-25-2024, 04:22 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Yes, BART is stuck with its non-standard gauge, of course, but the new cars (the old fleet is now 100% retired)
all have flat fronts. The most important distinction for passengers is that there are three sets of doors
on each side, rather than the two sets that the old cars had.

They should regauge BART

Old 01-26-2024, 09:46 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
That sounds like 1-2 years of utter disaster, my wild guess. It would presumably require new footings as well as rails, followed by testing. I imagine they'd need to shut down each segment for quite a while. There would be lengthy periods where you'd ride the train to the closed segment, take a bus, and then ride another train. They'd organize the closures around existing crossover tracks. The bay crossing would be particularly challenging, with presumably several months of work minimum, and buses stuck on the bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City