Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times

Advertisements

Last time I checked Full House stopped airing years ago!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 02:27 AM

318 posts, read 320,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
List of people from Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a gigantic list of people from Chicago, including musicians and entertainers. I know Chicago has a great comedy scene as well as theater. It's also famous for the Blues, and holds a festival to celebrate it annually, too.

Both cities have made great contributions to American pop culture
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Well, lets see Chicago does have: Michael Jordan, Oprah, Obama; that in itself is tough to beat.
List of people from Chicago? How about a list of people IN Chicago?
The fact that someone was born in Chicago and left the city as soon as it was possible simply proves how uninspiring the city is.
Jordan, Oprah and Obama. Wow, the world is on its knees, Chicago

Last edited by thefinalcut; 06-26-2009 at 02:41 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
Chicago hasn't had an impact on the psyche of those outside the US Midwest since the days of Micheal Jordan ended.
Unfortunately that's not entirely true. Oprah pollutes the airwaves with pseudo-intellectual gibberish all the time...

Old 06-26-2009, 02:32 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
I'm just glad Chicago house House Music!!!

Go to any club in Europe and they're still playing house.

Most underrated genre in the country! And no, its not techno, trance, or disco. If your a tourist you probably won't find the House Clubs here, and if you've never heard Chicago House than you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyways...this thread is pretty pointless. Pop culture has NO influence on quality of living.

I like both cities by the way.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm just glad Chicago house House Music!!!

Go to any club in Europe and they're still playing house.

Most underrated genre in the country! And no, its not techno, trance, or disco. If your a tourist you probably won't find the House Clubs here, and if you've never heard Chicago House than you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Anyways...this thread is pretty pointless. Pop culture has NO influence on quality of living.

I like both cities by the way.

I CAN go to any club in Europe and they are mostly playing... trance.
Give it a rest, house is old news and never became popular genre outside of dance floor and clubs.

Do Chicago substandard public schools, terrible weather and high crime have any impact on quality of life?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Last time I checked Full House stopped airing years ago!!!
So did Good Times!!! Almost 2 decades before Full House stopped airing!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Then don't comment on it. This thread is for those who are interested in discussing the subject. Plenty of what gets discussed on this forum has NO influence on quality of living. So what?

Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I CAN go to any club in Europe and they are mostly playing... trance.
I believe you are absolutely correct. To the best of my knowledge, trance is by far the biggest electronic genre in Europe. Way beyond house.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
I'd say the Bay.

Everyone has an Apple/Iphone, its where all the cool internet sites are located(google,ebay,craigslist etc etc), everythings hi-tech, they are at the forefront of new laws and bans, first REAL high-speed rail line coming between SF and L.A

and come on...it's in California
The Bay easily. And it would be nice if people could either answer the question or just avoid the thread entirely. Lame derogatory comments from insecure Midwesterners who seem to think there's some shame in being outdone here are unnecessary. Chicago has plenty it can claim and has won in other polls vs. SF. If SF is more dominant in pop culture why is it so threatening that some of you feel the need to belittle the relevance of pop culture. Some of you are pathetic. SMH

Old 06-26-2009, 07:29 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Jordan, Oprah and Obama. Wow, the world is on its knees, Chicago
Settle down buddy . The thread is about the impact to American pop culture. Whether you like Oprah or not, she has had an enormous impact in pop culture. Is there someone similar in or SF that can compete? Hell, we can even bring McDonalds into the mix. Yeah, you can talk about their crappy food and how it started in CA, but it wasn;t until its Chicagoland days did it become into the behemoth known around the world as it is today; Golden Arches, Ronald McDonald, Happy Meals; thats pretty impressive. There you have it; two simple example which have a great impact to American Pop Culture.

So lets hear other arguments for SF; im not dissing it by any means, but just scrolling through the post, I dont see that much supporting data other than a blurb about Apple/Google, and pointed remarks against Chicago.

BTW, we all know that Perfect Strangers was the far superior show on the TGIF lineup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City