Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:28 AM

318 posts, read 321,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You've never been to a Chicago House club obviously.

Ask those in the music industry about it...or some good ol Chicagoans.

House music is still alive and kicking. Chicago House music is trance on steroids and led to this whole electronica movement.

Also the concept and message behind "Jack" music is way, way before its time
Who cares about Chicago House Clubs? Is Chicago another Ibiza or Miami by any chance? Trance was born in Germany and electronica roots are in Detroit not Chicago...

Last edited by thefinalcut; 06-27-2009 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
First off- Michael Jordan is from Wilmington, North Carolina, not Chicago. Oprah is from Mississippi. So if we include them for "Chicago" we must include everyone who is even loosely associated with San Francisco as well.

So lets see -

Jack Kerouac
Allen Ginsburg
Ken Kesey
Hunter S. Thompson
The Grateful Dead
Janis Joplin
Ansel Adams
Gary Snyder
Clint Eastwood
OJ Simpson
Carlos Santana
Joe Montana
Joe Dimaggio
Jefferson Airplane
Sly and the Family Stone

Chicago, I associate with a particular style of electric blues, gangsters, and crooked politicians. I haven't seen a very thorough list yet, but I'm skeptical it is as influential as SF.
Great post, great points!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Ya know...I tried to believe that...but then I realized midwesterners say that to EVERYONE here...lol. The only people that say otherwise(and agree that Chicago is sooo influential) are those just trying to take down CA cities because of their hatred of the West

Doesn't it make you think twice and re-evaluate the thought that no one really cares about chic outside of the cornfield infested midwest?
If you think about it the reason for it is that Chicago is so isolated from the rest of the big US cities that Chicagoans simply do not know what the rest of country thinks about them. Chicago is the self-proclaimed inventor of anything

Old 06-27-2009, 10:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
If you think about it the reason for it is that Chicago is so isolated from the rest of the big US cities that Chicagoans simply do not know what the rest of country thinks about them. Chicago is the self-proclaimed inventor of anything
I am curious as to what drives your fascination with Chicago? Did you grow up around the area and get picked on a lot as a kid? Your resentment for the city has clouded your sense of reality.

Some people here are coming off as lower/lower middle class* provincial types who think that taking the 'image' of their city will help them stratify their current circumstances.

*Not trying to incite class war. But could be reason for certain users who do not actually discuss things of merit, merely insular thoughts of 'image' of certain cities. I make the generalization based on the argumentation and grammar skills of said posters.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM

94 posts, read 281,969 times
thefinalcut, jay100, and LAnightmare really help create a crappy image of Californians on this forum. It's like you're almost VIOLENTLY opposed to anyone saying that cities outside of California could be better at certain aspects of life than any city in California. Even New York City!

Sure, I stand up for Chicago on these forums just as you stand up for California, only difference being that I (and most Chicago forumers) don't trash and bash other cities left and right while doing so like you guys.

Quote:
Here's that mentality again that anyone from the Midwest is incapable of travelling. Actually, I would make that argument for people in California as it's quite apparent from your arguments. And you think we're isolated? California is isolated from EVERYTHING else in the United States except for its own cities. No wonder you can't fathom that anything else could trump California. Chicago is much closer to cities along the east coast, scattered throughout the midwest, the south, etc.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
I am curious as to what drives your fascination with Chicago? Did you grow up around the area and get picked on a lot as a kid? Your resentment for the city has clouded your sense of reality.

Some people here are coming off as lower/lower middle class* provincial types who think that taking the 'image' of their city will help them stratify their current circumstances.

*Not trying to incite class war. But could be reason for certain users who do not actually discuss things of merit, merely insular thoughts of 'image' of certain cities. I make the generalization based on the argumentation and grammar skills of said posters.
Why do you have to resolve to insults to make your point? Yes, America has a certain image of Chicago so instead of being utterly defensive you should probably spend more time listening and working on changing it or at least focus on merits. I made the point about Chicago being very isolated, are you disputing this? Chicago is very isolated and very seldom destination for people from other big cities, there is simply not much that could draw to Chicago a resident of LA, SF or NYC... As a result Chicagoans lack that any points of reference to properly assess city's aspects or image. Even constant clashes in this forum prove my point over and over.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Why do you have to resolve to insults to make your point? Yes, America has a certain image of Chicago so instead of being utterly defensive you should probably spend more time listening and working on changing it or at least focus on merits. I made the point about Chicago being very isolated, are you disputing this? Chicago is very isolated and very seldom destination for people from other big cities, there is simply not much that could draw to Chicago a resident of LA, SF or NYC... As a result Chicagoans lack that any points of reference to properly assess city's aspects or image. Even constant clashes in this forum prove my point over and over.
You didn't answer my question. What is your fascination with Chicago? If it has such a bad image in America as you state, why do you waste the time with bashing it in every post? Shouldn't you be above it? The more you bash it, the more significant you make the city seem, as you are giving it attention. It is obviously worthy of your time.

Oh, and I am currently a resident of NYC. I have also been to over 40 countries in 6 continents. Chicago is a world class city. It is one of my favorite cities in the world. There is A LOT that Chicago offers that draws people in.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You didn't answer my question. What is your fascination with Chicago? If it has such a bad image in America as you state, why do you waste the time with bashing it in every post? Shouldn't you be above it? The more you bash it, the more significant you make the city seem, as you are giving it attention. It is obviously worthy of your time.

Oh, and I am currently a resident of NYC. I have also been to over 40 countries in 6 continents. Chicago is a world class city. It is one of my favorite cities in the world. There is A LOT that Chicago offers that draws people in.
I do not really care where you are located, neither I care about post that as argument simply state: "There is A LOT that Chicago offers that draws people in" withouth giving ANY examples. Try me, tell me what attraction could make a New Yorker come to Chicago other than visiting his parents

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
They envy Chicago. If you already paid attention, most of the guys who bashed Chicago & New York were Angelenos. They are very insecure and have an inferiority complex.

Quote:

Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago14 View Post
Here's that mentality again that anyone from the Midwest is incapable of travelling. Actually, I would make that argument for people in California as it's quite apparent from your arguments. And you think we're isolated? California is isolated from EVERYTHING else in the United States except for its own cities. No wonder you can't fathom that anything else could trump California. Chicago is much closer to cities along the east coast, scattered throughout the midwest, the south, etc.

Are you isolated from any maps? Calif has access to its own cities and then others like Vegas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City