Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:31 PM

330 posts, read 681,767 times

Advertisements

Did someone actually call Ferris Bueller's Day Off a "great movie"? Some of those other 80s Chicago movies were somewhat entertaining, at least to watch once or twice, but let's get serious here.

"Pac-Man
Galaga"

Pac Man and Galaga were both developed by Namco, a Japanese company. They have nothing to do with Chicago. Midway just published them (or some versions of them) in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
^ and if we're talking old video games getting published in the US, San Francisco has Sega USA anyways....so they're evenly matched in the 80's video game department there.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I don't know if you've ever heard of John Hughes, but he is responsible for many, many great movies that take place in Chicago. John Hughes grew up in Chicago, and his most famous movies were filmed in Chicago. Maybe the filming crews were from California, but the ideas for these movies were definitely not invented in California, as you stated. They were written by John Hughes, who is from Chicago. Some of his most famous Chicago movies include:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (my favorite)
The Breakfast Club
Pretty In Pink
Sixteen Candles
Home Alone
Uncle Buck
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

There were more. You are free to look them up for yourself. Also, what on earth does this have to do with San Francisco?
Wasn't Risky Business in Chicago too?

Looks like it's the University of Illinois!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
^ and if we're talking old video games getting published in the US, San Francisco has Sega USA anyways....so they're evenly matched in the 80's video game department there.
Good point. I forgot about all the video game stuff out here.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I never said asians were better than other races...or that any race was better than another race. I'm not sure where you got that from. What i did was look at the numbers, in which it's obvious that the Bay Area has a larger percentage of minorities, especially of asian decent. Our latino population also makes up a larger percentage of our population.

The Bay has a higher percentage of hispanic people which is also nearly the same size in numbers, despite the Bay being 2 million people smaller, and the bay has a much larger number and higher percentage of asian people.

We have more people who are foreign born, and more people speaking foreign languages at home.

That's why i say the Bay is more diverse.

We do have less black people, and less large groups of european ancestry or large groups of european immigrants, such as Polish..but all things considered, i would say the Bay edges Chicago out in the diversity department (does Chicagoland have the largest Afghan population in the US? Largest Filipino population? Largest Tongan population outside of Tonga? A significant Samoan population? Significant Vietnamese, Japanese and Salvadoran and Nicaraguan populations, etc, etc? The Bay Area does). I don't know why you're arguing with me here...it's all laid out in my previous post.

As far as whether diversity is "great" or not, I'll say that one: I think it IS great.

and two: Both cities ARE very diverse. I was responding to someone else who seemed pretty sure that Chicago is way more diverse than SF, and challenged people to prove him wrong...which i did.
Nicely done

Old 06-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
But don't forget, San Francisco invented the Pacific Ocean. Tough to beat that one.
But I mean Chicago invented the Great Lakes and all. Don't count yourselves out!

Old 06-30-2009, 03:36 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Wasn't Risky Business in Chicago too?

Looks like it's the University of Illinois!
It definitely was. As I mentioned in my post, there were quite a few more John Hughes movies filmed in Chicago. The list is on the internet - just Google it.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
But I mean Chicago invented the Great Lakes and all. Don't count yourselves out!
We do our best to hang in there. Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
Did someone actually call Ferris Bueller's Day Off a "great movie"? Some of those other 80s Chicago movies were somewhat entertaining, at least to watch once or twice, but let's get serious here.
What movies people like are personal opinion.. IMO Ferris Bueller's Day off is a classic movie in the mind of a lot. Just because people don't have the same thought as you, mean they are by any means wrong

Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 PM

116 posts, read 245,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Mountain Biking indeed did start in SF, well just north on Mt. Tamalpais in Marin County thus the brand of mountain bikes called Marin.
I find it hard to believe that no one in Europe ever biked a mountain first before San Francisco was even a city.

Quote:
And the rave scene may not have started in SF, but it SF is the rave capital of the US.
I realize that the rave scene is huge in SF but saying that anything like that ever started there and has any cultural influence is a totally different thing. SF imported something that started and was already huge somewhere else. So what. Detroit really was the rave capitol of the US. Techno itself started there. House started in nearby Chicago years later. The biggest parties (DEMF) started in Detroit and I have no doubt based on population and proximity to the birth of electronic music alone, let alone House music and the huge amount of empty warehouse space, that there were, at any given time, more "raves" happening in Chicago than in San Francisco. And likewise more happening in New York City than Chicago. That's what happens when you have more population and more European influence, and the cities are a lot closer together. In fact Chicago and New York had a 24/7 high-power commercial House/Trance/Techno FM radio station before San Francisco ever did (I work in radio and was excited to see Dance becoming big, though it never became London).

Last edited by yoyobubba; 06-30-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City