Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 04:31 PM

318 posts, read 321,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
This is pointless if you are talking about CHICAGO. Chicago is diverse and receives immigrants from all around the world. Chicago's O'Hare Int'l Airport has nonstop flights to places all over the world. If you peak into Chicago's diversity, you would see that many ethnic groups and nationalities are well represented. In fact I could make a case that Chicago's population is MORE diverse than SF's.

*2nd largest African American population
*2nd largest Mexican population
*3rd largest Italian population
*Largest Polish population (outside Warsaw)
*2nd largest Greek population
The list goes on and on. Even the Asian populations are well represented. Chicago enjoys cultural prominance like those major cities (immigrant hubs) on the coasts. Your point is irrelevant when Chicago is the subject. I would agree with you if you talked about other midwestern cities, but definitely NOT Chicago.
Every large American city is diverse and every has an airport. Of course the third largest city in the US will have a few largest populations however many of those counted as Italians or Poles in Chicago do not have much to do with cultures of countries their parent or grandparents came from. Statistical diversity of Chicago is not equal to cosmopolitan feel of San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
If bastardized versions of books made into mangled musicals with torturous songs is elite theatre, then yes. New York would represent America best in this regard. If clinging to the same tired musicals from fifty years ago is to represent the pinnacle of American achievement, then yes. I can think of no better city than New York.
Spoken like true Midwestern tourist. No, New York thater is not only Annie Get The Gun and Cats. Broadway and off-Broadway is however American, and arguable English speaking world pinnacle of theater art. New York has produced incredible number of actors and directors both stage and film.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
No, New York is not the "pinnacle" of theatre and Broadway is a revolting mockery of talent.

Anyone involved in theatre would know this. Lastly, anyone involved in theatre would recognize Chicago for what it is. Your ignorance only tells me you've rarely been to theatre...

... Unless it was to see Wicked, that sterling example of taste, talent and production "Broadway style".

You only say it because Chicago does not have Broadway and 39 big theaters so it has to contend with "Broadway in Chicago" leftovers series where Wicked and other Broadway leftovers are brought to Chicago and become big hits. .... "Anyone involved in theater" knows that...

Last edited by thefinalcut; 07-02-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Statistical diversity of Chicago is not equal to cosmopolitan feel of San Francisco.
Statistically speaking,
The Bay Area actually has more foreign born residents than Chicagoland and is 3rd behind NY and LA. That is a fact.

Also, The Bay Area, along with LA and NY are the only 3 combined statistical areas to have more than 1 Million+ Hispanics and more than 1 Million+ Asians, the two biggest groups of immigrants in this country. Another fact.

But as far as your comment on feeling cosmopolitan, there really is no contest between these 2 areas. The Bay Area wins all the way in that regard.

That said, Chicago is not a slouch in this category at all. Its one of the leaders in fact, it just so happens that the Bay Area happens to be more cosmopolitan.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
LOL I'm on my iphone right now
We appreciate your business.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Statistically speaking,
The Bay Area actually has more foreign born residents than Chicagoland and is 3rd behind NY and LA. That is a fact.
That was my point, claiming diversity based on number "Greeks" or "Poles" who are often 3rd generations Americans is misleading. Comparing the number of foreign born residents is much more indicative of cosmopolitan feel and cultural diversity.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
That was my point, claiming diversity based on number "Greeks" or "Poles" who are often 3rd generations Americans is misleading. Comparing the number of foreign born residents is much more indicative of cosmopolitan feel and cultural diversity.
It is misleading, but often times they maintain a culture-rich ethnic neighborhood which does count for something. I don't know if this is the case in Chicago. I'm sure someone can inform us.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 AM

94 posts, read 281,969 times
Quote:
It is misleading, but often times they maintain a culture-rich ethnic neighborhood which does count for something. I don't know if this is the case in Chicago. I'm sure someone can inform us.
Even 2nd and 3rd generation Americans living in Chicago carry on their cultural traditions. There are neighborhoods all over Chicago that have their own vibe and ethnic scene.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's not misleading at all. Thousands of people from Eastern Europe still immigrate to Chicago and Milwaukee on a regular basis. I work with quite a few recent arrivals from Poland.

Just because white people in the Western US have no connection to their ethnic European culture, doesn't mean the rest of the country is like that too. Chicago may not have the largest Asian population, but at least they still have a sizable one. SF on the other hand, doesn't have any white-ethnic neighborhoods to speak of.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:35 AM

Speaking of Immigrant Stock, immigrants and their US Born Children, The Bay Area, Los Angeles and Miami are the only 3 areas in the country where this group is the majority of the total population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City