Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger Impact on American Pop Culture?
San Francisco Bay Area, California 59 62.11%
chic-land, midwest 36 37.89%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:48 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I CAN go to any club in Europe and they are mostly playing... trance.
Give it a rest, house is old news and never became popular genre outside of dance floor and clubs.

Do Chicago substandard public schools, terrible weather and high crime have any impact on quality of life?
Do you know where Trance originated from??

Take your foot out of your mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:54 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I believe you are absolutely correct. To the best of my knowledge, trance is by far the biggest electronic genre in Europe. Way beyond house.
You've never been to a Chicago House club obviously.

Ask those in the music industry about it...or some good ol Chicagoans.

House music is still alive and kicking. Chicago House music is trance on steroids and led to this whole electronica movement.

Also the concept and message behind "Jack" music is way, way before its time

Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Settle down buddy . The thread is about the impact to American pop culture. Whether you like Oprah or not, she has had an enormous impact in pop culture. Is there someone similar in or SF that can compete? Hell, we can even bring McDonalds into the mix. Yeah, you can talk about their crappy food and how it started in CA, but it wasn;t until its Chicagoland days did it become into the behemoth known around the world as it is today; Golden Arches, Ronald McDonald, Happy Meals; thats pretty impressive. There you have it; two simple example which have a great impact to American Pop Culture.

So lets hear other arguments for SF; im not dissing it by any means, but just scrolling through the post, I dont see that much supporting data other than a blurb about Apple/Google, and pointed remarks against Chicago.

BTW, we all know that Perfect Strangers was the far superior show on the TGIF lineup
Dementor/Advocactusdiavoli/Euros!

Welcome back

So good to see you again! You gave yourself away by your writing style and using the word parochial in one of your posts!

I must say though, I'm not a fan of the new pen-name. I liked the old ones better. Can you possibly change it and come up with something in the vein of your old ones?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 AM

177 posts, read 479,610 times
You guys all do realize that Gary Indiana, part of chicagoland, is home to the biggest 'pop' icon the world has ever seen right?

Michael Jackson

(and the rest of his family)

Anyway, pop culture is ....yawn.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:34 AM

322 posts, read 800,299 times
why does there always have to be a "reason" a thread was made when California wins...yet every other thread about "manhattan density" ..."chicago public transportation" ...etc etc is glossed over and filled with boosters?

I don't think you guys will ever get my existence on here ... and that's fine but I am truly proving a point everytime an out of stater comes in and bashes CA or a thread about it

and for the record I believe the Internet IS culture... and before you get all technical and say "blah blah SF didn't invent the internet" all I am saying is that they utilize it the most and come up with cutting edge ideas that people alll around the world use in every day life(twitter for example which is the craze these days).

Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,346,364 times
The internet was born of communications between Stanford and UCLA, no?

Old 06-26-2009, 10:35 AM

322 posts, read 800,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
If you say so, lol...kill em with facts 'Monk .

Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,149 times
Why are all these threads just people saying "X city sucks"? Barely anyone can make a case for a city without putting another down. Here, off the top of my head is a case for Chicago:

Obama, Oprah, Michael Jordan, House, Hip-Hop (Kanye being most popular), The Skyscraper, Improv/Sketch Comedy, Playboy, Old-School Gangster (relevant with new movie), McDonalds

This is hardly an exhaustive list as it is just off the top of my head. Anyone willing to make a solid case for San Francisco without dissing Chicago? They are both great cities.

San Francisco: Apple/Google/Tech Sector, Gay movement, keep them coming...

Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
And no, the Internet was not born of a Stanford and UCLA collaboration, though it may have played a strong roll in its development. In fact, many attribute the birth of the Internet to the University of Illinois. (I hope Al Gore isn't lurking).

Many also believe the personal computer was born in Urbana, Ill., at the -- drumroll-- University of Illinois.

EDIT-- I just research it. There are more citations for UCLA being birthplace of Internet, so I concede the post above. Somebody alert Al Gore.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
@ Rickmahorn: Hey man, we live in the age of Slash and Burn politics. Unfortunately nowadays the only way to properly promote yourself is to tear apart everything you face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City