Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is overall a better state, NC or GA?
North Carolina 35 33.33%
Georgia 70 66.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Ok, first of all, I proved you wrong in another thread that Charlotte is a much larger tourist city than Augusta or Savannah, so I can't believe you actually want to bring that argument up again???? Omega Psi Phi is holding their national convention in Raleigh this summer. How many Georgia cities outside Atlanta have ever held a major national greek convention, not a regional????

And as for Fortune 500 companies, Winston-Salem is home to two, BB&T and Reynolds American, and with VF in Greensboro that's three for the CMSA. And Raleigh is home to two, Progess Energy and The Pantry. How many are in those other Georgia cities you named? Greensboro and Raleigh also have "major airports" compared to those Georgia towns. Often folks in Charlotte will fly out of one them and vice versa.

The point is, you said there is no reason for people in Charlotte to go to those cities, just like there's no reason for people in Atlanta to visit the other Georgia cities. And you were wrong. Again, if you're trying to compare those little towns in Georgia to the major cities in NC you're way off base.
Haha.Delusional much?Actually the consensus was that based on a percentage of each cities economy,Savannah was greater.Which is what I initially stated.But one correction at at a time.

It is silly for you to keep bringing up crap like a greek convention.Im not saying that Raleigh does not hold more amounts of somethings than Augusta does,even some venues that Augusta have not had.What I am saying is that they are very few and between.
Greensboro Airport ranks:86th
Savannah :89th
Wow so major!!!Not bad for a "little town"
Raleigh i will give you that.Its obvious.But all the major cities in GA have airports that are commensurate to its population.
Delta flies to Savannah and Air Tran(among other airlines.) goes to both.
http://www.faa.gov/airports/planning...ry_np_comm.pdf

Atlanta airport is bigger than Raleigh,Greensboro,Charlotte and Wilmington's airport combined.Yet Savannah,Augusta both have sizable airports

Was it not you that tried to say Atlanta does not have much more in quality than Charlotte and several people including me proved you wrong?

Columbus has Aflac.Some have fallen further and off due to economy mainly.That I admit was an oversight.Like Synovus,Total Systems Services,and Caremike Cinemas.Still does not change the fact that they still exist and that Columbus has supported them in the past.Same is true for companies that have been purchased.Some of these companies are owned by international conglomerates,but they have there North American Headquarters in these "little cities"

Quote:
Carmike Cinemas Inc. is a movie theatre corporation headquartered in Columbus, Georgia in the United States of America. It currently operates 250 theaters in 36 states, making it the fourth largest theatre company in the United States

The question should be how Columbus,GA( a city of under 200,000)could have the headquarters that employees over 10,000 people worldwide as the 152nd largest company in America.Especially since these are just "little cities".

I never said " there is no reason for people in Charlotte to go to those cities"Thats not what I meant to imply.I was trying to say that not as often as people in Atlanta might have a reason to go to Savannah.A lot of People in Atlanta often have second homes in Savannah.Do people have second homes in Raleigh?Greensboro?

And for the record Raleigh is major only because of its airport, but its more of a "regional city".A major city tends to be national and international in scope.Greensboro is just not major in nobodys mind except yours and maybe other North Carolinians

Last edited by afonega1; 03-05-2010 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
I like both of them. I would have to give the edge to Georgia though.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Greek convention? While that is a good event to have in your city. Savannah gets 3 million visitors because its a tourist destination. Augusta gets 2 million visitors. Keep in mind Savannah's CSA was 400,000 and Augusta's MSA was 535,000 in 2008.

Augusta events...... Masters, Southern Nationals, ESI Ironman, Nike Peach Jam, Nike Nationals, Augusta Futurity, Bass/ESPN Elite Series, IMBA World Summit.

IMBA World Summit 2010 (http://www.imba.com/summit/2010_World_Summit.html - broken link)

I don't know if the poster was calling Augusta or Savannah little towns. Or were they calling some of the other GA cities little towns. But if they were talking about Augusta and Savannah. Then every city in NC except Charlotte or Raleigh is a little town.

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-05-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Greek convention? While that is a good event to have in your city. Savannah gets 3 million visitors because its a tourist destination. Augusta gets 2 million visitors. Keep in mind Savannah's CSA was 400,000 and Augusta's MSA was 535,000 in 2008.

Augusta events...... Masters, Southern Nationals, ESI Ironman, Nike Peach Jam, Nike Nationals, Augusta Futurity, Bass/ESPN Elite Series, IMBA world Summit.

IMBA World Summit 2010 (http://www.imba.com/summit/2010_World_Summit.html - broken link)

I don't know if the poster was calling Augusta or Savannah little towns. Or were they calling some of the other GA cities little towns. But if they were talking about Augusta and Savannah. Then every city in NC except Charlotte or Raleigh is a little town.
Thats exactly what she was doing.She thinks there nothing of note in Augusta ,Savannah or any other towns in GA.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Haha.Delusional much?Actually the consensus was that based on a percentage of each cities economy,Savannah was greater.Which is what I initially stated.But one correction at at a time.

It is silly for you to keep bringing up crap like a greek convention.Im not saying that Raleigh does not hold more amounts of somethings than Augusta does,even some venues that Augusta have not had.What I am saying is that they are very few and between.
Greensboro Airport ranks:86th
Savannah :89th
Wow so major!!!Not bad for a "little town"
Raleigh i will give you that.Its obvious.But all the major cities in GA have airports that are commensurate to its population.
Delta flies to Savannah and Air Tran(among other airlines.) goes to both.
http://www.faa.gov/airports/planning...ry_np_comm.pdf

Atlanta airport is bigger than Raleigh,Greensboro,Charlotte and Wilmington's airport combined.Yet Savannah,Augusta both have sizable airports

Was it not you that tried to say Atlanta does not have much more in quality than Charlotte and several people including me proved you wrong?

Columbus has Aflac.Some have fallen further and off due to economy mainly.That I admit was an oversight.Like Synovus,Total Systems Services,and Caremike Cinemas.Still does not change the fact that they still exist and that Columbus has supported them in the past.Same is true for companies that have been purchased.Some of these companies are owned by international conglomerates,but they have there North American Headquarters in these "little cities"

The question should be how Columbus,GA( a city of under 200,000)could have the headquarters that employees over 10,000 people worldwide as the 152nd largest company in America.Especially since these are just "little cities".

I never said " there is no reason for people in Charlotte to go to those cities"Thats not what I meant to imply.I was trying to say that not as often as people in Atlanta might have a reason to go to Savannah.A lot of People in Atlanta often have second homes in Savannah.Do people have second homes in Raleigh?Greensboro?

And for the record Raleigh is major only because of its airport, but its more of a "regional city".A major city tends to be national and international in scope.Greensboro is just not major in nobodys mind except yours and maybe other North Carolinians
Wow, you wrote a "lot". Regarding corporate headquarters, there are several regional/north american headquarters in the Triad and Triangle. Many more than in those other GA cities, although I notice you only keep talking about Columbus. Like RBC Bank and IBM in Raleigh, and Volvo, Mack Trucks and FedEx in Greensboro to name a few. But that was your measuring stick, not mine. Anyway, the fact that Raleigh has a pro sports team should tell you it is on a completely different level than somewhere like Columbus or Macon, etc. I understand your pride for your state, but seriously outside of Atlanta, there's really no other major cities in Georgia, and certainly none that would compare to Raleigh or Greensboro.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:51 PM

30 posts, read 56,741 times
Quote:
And North Carolina is not more balanced as a state. The metro of Atlanta and CSA can reach in 30 mins to 1 hr metro Macon, Columbus, Athens, and Augusta.

Atlanta is bigger than Charlotte and Raleigh put together.
It is more balanced of a state because one metro does not seem to be the heart of the whole state. This could be a advantage or disadvantage, depends on how you see it. With North Carolina, there are three major metros and non seem to destroy each other. You can't say the same for Georgia. North Carolina is more balanced. That does not have to be a bad thing for Atlanta or Georgia, but it is a fact.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Wow, you wrote a "lot". Regarding corporate headquarters, there are several regional/north american headquarters in the Triad and Triangle. Many more than in those other GA cities, although I notice you only keep talking about Columbus. Like RBC Bank and IBM in Raleigh, and Volvo, Mack Trucks and FedEx in Greensboro to name a few. But that was your measuring stick, not mine. Anyway, the fact that Raleigh has a pro sports team should tell you it is on a completely different level than somewhere like Columbus or Macon, etc. I understand your pride for your state, but seriously outside of Atlanta, there's really no other major cities in Georgia, and certainly none that would compare to Raleigh or Greensboro.
Augusta has Club Car, ESI, Tomberlin Group, and E-Z-GO

Companies in Augusta are leading the world into the future. This is a older article.

After four years of development, Augusta electric vehicle maker Tomberlin Group is ready to produce the Anvil, a four-person, street-legal, low-speed electric car.

The Tomberlin Group, an Augusta-based electric vehicle company, will show off the Anvil at 8 a.m. Monday on CBS' Early Show.

They will appear again at 5 p.m. Monday on Bloomberg TV.

On Tuesday, the company will appear on Fox Business News at 7:45 a.m.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...s_529007.shtml

Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStatesville View Post
It is more balanced of a state because one metro does not seem to be the heart of the whole state. This could be a advantage or disadvantage, depends on how you see it. With North Carolina, there are three major metros and non seem to destroy each other. You can't say the same for Georgia. North Carolina is more balanced. That does not have to be a bad thing for Atlanta or Georgia, but it is a fact.
Raleigh/Durham and Winston-Salem/Greensboro make a CSA.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Raleigh has a Pro-sports team?LOL.Im sorry really?I did not know.Regarding corporate headquarters.Looks like you are WRONG again.
Volvo North Amercian Headquarters are in New Jersey.
Contact Us | Footer | www.volvocars.com/us.
Fed Ex is Headquatered in Memphis.
IBM: Armonk, Town of North Castle, New York
And Mack is owned by Volvo
RBC you can have.Nice attempt at stretching the truth though.I understand your state pride with all those North Carolina advertisements everywhere but dang!!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 PM

30 posts, read 56,741 times
Quote:
And North Carolina is not more balanced as a state. The metro of Atlanta and CSA can reach in 30 mins to 1 hr metro Macon, Columbus, Athens, and Augusta.

Atlanta is bigger than Charlotte and Raleigh put together.
Quote:
Raleigh/Durham and Winston-Salem/Greensboro make a CSA.
Ok well, 3 major CSA. You know that Georgia is top heavy with dominant Atlanta, and than everything else. In North Carolina, no one CSA dominates to that degree. The fact that Atlanta is such a monster plays exactly into the point that I am making in saying the state is not balanced. The ATL owns Georgia, you know that man. Charlotte does not own N.C. neither does Raleigh, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem. Atlanta's dominance over its own state is a major reason why it is a major metro on a national scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City