Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is overall a better state, NC or GA?
North Carolina 35 33.33%
Georgia 70 66.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM

60 posts, read 46,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well I don't know of any city Charlotte's size that has the nightlife spread throughout the metro as opposed to having the bulk within the city itself. I mean you can find stuff to do in the outlying towns, but there's not a whole bunch of people driving from the city to those spots.
There alot of people driving to Decatur that's where I party because everything stays open till 6am.. There are alot clubs and bars in Decatur

Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM

60 posts, read 46,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
Yea the closing of Buckhead Village did change the seen in Atlanta a bit. Like I said in another thread, Atlanta nightlife is in a bit of transition right now. Midtown is becoming the new center of nightlife ,but the economy has slowed the progress. I think this is a much better location than Buckhead. It's right in the middle of everything. Buckhead does have The Streets of Buckhead coming, so it's not dead. It will be a different vibe out there though.
If your talking about a party district being slow in progress I would say yes, I your sayng nightlife as a whole then I would say no it's not in a transition there is so many clubs, strip clubs bar throughout the city and metro. I went o Jay Z Mansion party that's was after the concert the party was hot hot hot

Old 03-03-2010, 12:19 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane82 View Post
There alot of people driving to Decatur that's where I party because everything stays open till 6am.. There are alot clubs and bars in Decatur
yep.
The same with old natty, and the buford hwy area. It's like a ring around Atlanta for nightlife. We don't die we multiply

Old 03-03-2010, 12:41 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,108 times
Quote:
If your talking about a party district being slow in progress I would say yes, I your sayng nightlife as a whole then I would say no it's not in a transition there is so many clubs, strip clubs bar throughout the city and metro. I went o Jay Z Mansion party that's was after the concert the party was hot hot hot
Yes I was mainly talking about a party district. Atlanta still has plenty to do all over. I heard Beyonce and Jay and some other folks were at Stats the day after. I didn't make it to the mansion party, but I was at a house party for the Super bowl with a bunch of celebs. It was crazy! I bet that Jay Z party was crazy too.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:10 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
From an outsider's perspective, NC and GA seem like two peas in a pod.

The main difference, I'd say is, Atlanta. It's huge, and it's really the only truly "major" city in the core area of the southern states (not counting Florida and Texas). Of course, North Carolinians may not envy the traffic and crime that come with hosting such a behemoth city.

The other difference, of course, is that NC has a fair number of mid-sized metros: Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and Greensboro/Winston-Salem, and then some sizable smaller cities too. Georgia is pretty much just Atlanta and the rest of the state.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
Greensboro/Winston-Salem and Raleigh/Durham are four diffrent cities.

Augusta metro was 540k in 2008. Which is higher than every metro in North Carolina except Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro.

Have any of these people who make these comments. Actually visited cities outside of Atlanta recently.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times
There are other places in GA who are growing, have the large interstates, tall building downtown, upscale retail, etc. I-20 in Richmond county runs through West Augusta. I-520 runs through West Augusta, South Augusta, and East Augusta. Before it turns into I-520 palmetto pkwy in North Augusta, SC. The interstates don't run through downtown. After 6:30 it runs through alot of the interchange.

YouTube - Interstate 520 [HD]

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-03-2010 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Right, but they constitute two fairly large urban areas, which is why they are CSAs.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Good Senairo but end the end of it all The Lamborghini what still be on top because its equipt with more and its more powerful. thats the point we are making.
In my mind I was picturing Atlanta as the Corvette and NYC/Chi as the Lambo. Anyway, if the speed limit in most towns is in the 35-55mph range, and on the interstate 55-70mph, do you really need all that power in the Lamborghini? I use this as an analogy to what I will deem extra ammenities offered by cities. But, IMO if you can afford a Lamborghini, why settle for a Vette? I'm just making an argument that a Vette is way more than sufficient to handle the everyday tasks of driving. Same with, in this case Charlotte vs Atlanta or smaller metro vs larger metro, the smaller metros have way more than the essentials of life, but if you can afford (however you may want to interpret this analogy) a bigger metro by all means go for it.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

Augusta metro was 540k in 2008. Which is higher than every metro in North Carolina except Charlotte, Raleigh, and Greensboro.

Have any of these people who make these comments. Actually visited cities outside of Atlanta recently.
I get what you're saying about other metros in GA. I guess with how huge Atlanta is it kind of overshadows all other metros in the state. Savannah is another city that does well. It is so drastically different and offers ammenities that Atlanta doesn't offer so it also stands out. But Augusta, Macon, Columbus also deserve mention. As well as smaller towns and communities because these areas also have unique flavor to offer that shouldn't be overshadowed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City