Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is overall a better state, NC or GA?
North Carolina 35 33.33%
Georgia 70 66.67%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I see where you're coming from. I was just saying that Atlanta has a lot of the same things as NY and CHI, but I would never act like Atlanta is now on par with them. This is what qc dreamin was getting at with the Charlotte and Atlanta comparison. Trust me, I have seen their past post about Atlanta.
I see where you're coming from. IMO, Atlanta is enough for me. Nothing against CHI and NYC but at a certain point I think big cities offer the same thing and one city can be so large its overwhelming. I think of it like a Corvette against a Lamborghini. Both are sports cars, but is a Corvette any less of a sports car? I hope this gets my point across.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 AM

649 posts, read 1,423,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see where you're coming from. IMO, Atlanta is enough for me. Nothing against CHI and NYC but at a certain point I think big cities offer the same thing and one city can be so large its overwhelming. I think of it like a Corvette against a Lamborghini. Both are sports cars, but is a Corvette any less of a sports car? I hope this gets my point across.
I totally agree.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM

60 posts, read 46,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Good Senairo but end the end of it all The Lamborghini what still be on top because its equipt with more and its more powerful. thats the point we are making.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
i don't buy this theme that NC has more transplants than Georgia, not in any meaningful or significant way.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
When was the last time you experienced the nightlife here in Charlotte and what exactly did you do?
I can see where he's coming from in regards to the nightlife in Charlotte. I have friends in Charlotte also who frequently go to Atlanta for fun because Charlotte nightlife isn't what it should be for a city that size. Also, not that this really matters but Charlotte is always ranked near the bottom on many sites when it comes to the largest cities in the country in regards to nightlife.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:07 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I can see where he's coming from in regards to the nightlife in Charlotte. I have friends in Charlotte also who frequently go to Atlanta for fun because Charlotte nightlife isn't what it should be for a city that size. Also, not that this really matters but Charlotte is always ranked near the bottom on many sites when it comes to the largest cities in the country in regards to nightlife.
I can think of a couple of cities around our size that are better in the nightlife department (Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, etc.), but I was asking how long ago he's been here because the nightlife has come a pretty long way just within the last couple of years. I like to party when I go to Atlanta too and surely I wouldn't put Charlotte's nightlife ahead of Atlanta's (even though it's not quite the same in Atlanta since Buckhead Village is gone), but it's surely not desolate here on the weekends at all.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
I can think of a couple of cities around our size that are better in the nightlife department (Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, etc.), but I was asking how long ago he's been here because the nightlife has come a pretty long way just within the last couple of years. I like to party when I go to Atlanta too and surely I wouldn't put Charlotte's nightlife ahead of Atlanta's (even though it's not quite the same in Atlanta since Buckhead Village is gone), but it's surely not desolate here on the weekends at all.

I see what you're saying and Atlanta's nightlife isn't the same because Buckhead Village has left. However, in Atlanta the nightlife is spreaded all throughout the metro in places like Decatur and Marietta vs. having it in one city.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is too short! View Post
I lived in Atlanta off and on for most of my life. I now live in a coastal town in NC.

GA has more of a urban flashy feel. People in GA are big consumers and have the best shopping in the Southeast. You'll find a lot of sporting events in one concentrated area. In my experience there are a lot of great restaurants in town if you are a foodie. In the suburbs there are many chain restaurants that struggle to keep employees (the food quality and consistency struggle for this reason). Traffic, Traffic and more traffic. I spent the better portion of my day in the car just getting from one place to the next. Everything is new, new, new - no history since Atlanta was burned in the Civil War. Not as many day trips or weekend getaways as NC - if you like that sort of thing. Florida panhandle beaches 6 hours from Atlanta and GA/SC beaches 5 hours.

NC - More laid back and casual. The urban areas are more spread out between Charlotte and Raleigh and many fun cities to explore are Asheville, Wilmington, New Bern, Beaufort. NC also has a fabulous coastline with boating, fishing and beautiful beaches. There is more of a military presence in NC. Tons of history and historic places to visit. VA/DC area is an easy drive. Traffic does exist in Charlotte and Raleigh but these cities in no way compare to Atlanta's massive urban sprawl.
A bigger Military presence?No way.Not to mention the importance to each branch of the military represented.Some of the biggest bases the ARMY and AIR FORCE have are in Georgia and Texas(of course Ft. Bragg is a behemoth)
Army
Ft Benning-38,000
Ft Stewart-12,000
FT Gillem-1,000
Ft McPherson- It is the home of the headquarters for the U.S. Army Installation Management Command, Southeast Region; the U.S. Army Forces Command; the U.S. Army Reserve Command (Worldwide Headquarters); the U.S. Army Central Command and some other Army units.
Ft Gordon-20,000
Hunter Army Airfield

Air Force
Robins Air Force Base- 20,000 Air Forces Materiel and Services Command,Air Logistic Center(One of the Air Force’s five air logistics centers) ,Worldwide Headquarters AIR FORCE RESERVES. Robins AFB is the largest industrial complex in Georgia
Moody Air Force Base
Dobbins ARB

Navy
Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base-12,000

Marines
Albany Marine Corps Logistics Base

North Carolina

AIR FORCE
Pope Air Force Base -5000 Fayetteville
Seymour Johnson Air Force Base

ARMY

Fort Bragg - Fayetteville- 50,000 Several airborne units of the U.S. Army are stationed at Fort Bragg, notably the XVIII Airborne Corps HQ, the 82nd Airborne Division, and the United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC).
Simmons Army Airfield

COAST GUARD
USCG Air Station Elizabeth City

MARINES
Camp Lejeune Marine Base - Jacksonville
Cherry Point Air Station - Havelock
New River Air Station -

NAVY
Cherry Point Naval Air Depot

Also,lets up the ante.I can name specific things that have a broad appeal to a larger number of people with mass appeal to do in Georgia.Such as:

The other thing is Atlanta has heavy rail that is substantially more than anything in North Carolina.

Savannah trumps anything as historic in North Carolina.
In Georgia you go see:
A revolutionary fort(Fort Fredrica/Fort King George/Fort Pulaski)

A community of Gullah/Geechie people off the coast and witness a culture that has its own dialect that speaks and practices that of their African ancestors.

See the former cottages and island playground of the Rockerfellers,Vanderbuilts,Morgans

You can visit 10,000 year old Native American mounds in Macon

Go to a presidential Library.

See 2 Nobel peace prizes.Martin Luther King Center/Jimmy Carter Presidential Library
Beautiful scenic largest Swamp land in North America like Ofenokee Swamp.

See the Chief Vann House, the first brick residence in the Cherokee Nation that has been called the "Showplace of the Cherokee Nation"

What things with such broad appeal is there to do in North Carolina that you cannot do in Georgia?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I see what you're saying and Atlanta's nightlife isn't the same because Buckhead Village has left. However, in Atlanta the nightlife is spreaded all throughout the metro in places like Decatur and Marietta vs. having it in one city.
Well I don't know of any city Charlotte's size that has the nightlife spread throughout the metro as opposed to having the bulk within the city itself. I mean you can find stuff to do in the outlying towns, but there's not a whole bunch of people driving from the city to those spots.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM

649 posts, read 1,423,226 times
Quote:
Yea the closing of Buckhead Village did change the seen in Atlanta a bit. Like I said in another thread, Atlanta nightlife is in a bit of transition right now. Midtown is becoming the new center of nightlife ,but the economy has slowed the progress. I think this is a much better location than Buckhead. It's right in the middle of everything. Buckhead does have The Streets of Buckhead coming, so it's not dead. It will be a different vibe out there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City