Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Hi-Speed Rail line are you looking forward to?
California Corridor (Sac, SF, SJ, LA, SD) 49 20.85%
Pacific NW Corridor (Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver) 14 5.96%
South Central Corridor (Tulsa, OKC, Little Rock, Dallas, SA) 15 6.38%
Gulf Coast Corridor (Houston, New Orleans, Mobile) 14 5.96%
Chicago Hub Network (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, KC, St. Louis, MSP, Milwaukee, Louisville) 60 25.53%
Florida Corridor (Tampa, Orlando, Miami) 13 5.53%
Southeast Corridor (Raleigh, Charlotte, ATL, Savannah, Jacksonville) 40 17.02%
Keystone Corridor (Philly-Pitts) 14 5.96%
Empire Corridor (Buffalo, Alpany) 3 1.28%
Northern New England Corridor (Boston, Portland, Montreal, New Haven) 13 5.53%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The Bos-Wash corridor is a perfect example of where HSR makes good sense: the cities are close enough together that flying isn't always practical, besides which both the aviation and highway infrastructure are stretched to the limits of conceivable capacity and a third option is actually a necessity rather than a luxury. My issue is with the idea some have that everyone everywhere needs to be connected to each other by HSR when our existing transportation infrastructure is already perfectly adequate for the job. In other words, HSR makes sense as an intra-regional transportation option in some cases, but not so much as an inter-regional transportation option.

Not to mention during a ride on the NE corrider i actually had an hour of productive work each way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think the reason why the South needs it more than the North is due to the fact that the North already has something similiar to a high speed rail ready. I could be wrong and right now I can't remember the name of it.

Any news on the high speed rail developments?
Yeah, the Northeast Corridor has something that's a start, but it's not true high speed rail. The NEC is on the award list so hopefully that means lots of improvements to the Acela service to make it a real high speed rail service.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think the reason why the South needs it more than the North is due to the fact that the North already has something similiar to a high speed rail ready. I could be wrong and right now I can't remember the name of it.

Any news on the high speed rail developments?
Florida's High speed rail is getting started, thanks to the stimulus bill. There will be a stop in Tampa, Lakeland, Disney, Orlando and Orlando's Airport. They plan on extending it to Miami after that, but that could take some time.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:40 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
HSR can only work if there are major centers of population within close proximity. I'd like to see a Chicago hub to Milwaukee, Detroit, Indy, etc.

California between SF, LA and SD would be a decent choice too.

I'd actually consider the Texas Triangle (D/FW, Houston, SA/Austin), but there are three major airlines that are headquartered in that state that would fight like hell to keep that from happening.

A Houston-Baton Rouge-New Orleans-Pensacola HSR connection would be great too. I-10 can get a bit awful at times, and there is a huge NO-Houston connection in terms of relocation (way before Katrina), leisure and business.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times
It's HUGE and "BREAKING NEWS" in OHIO ... the long anticipated "3-C LINK" high speed commuter rail line linking the major cities of Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnatti is now moving forward. The state of Ohio just received $400 MILLION in federal stimulus funds to allow this long talked about rail line to become a reality. This is FANTASTIC news for the entire state ... and these 3 major cities. It will undoubtedly spur further growth ... a true benefit for Ohians!

Old 01-30-2010, 06:05 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Bad news for Georgia, they are only receiving $750,000 due to lack of interest from politicians. While NC and Florida have received huge funding to build their corridors, Georgia will have a huge gap, and Atlanta could be one of the only cities without a link to HSR.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM

117 posts, read 330,917 times
I Vote for California b/c this states suck with public transportation and im ready to see how this works out.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:03 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Bad news for Georgia, they are only receiving $750,000 due to lack of interest from politicians. While NC and Florida have received huge funding to build their corridors, Georgia will have a huge gap, and Atlanta could be one of the only cities without a link to HSR.
Georgia better get its act together or it will find its most important city crippled by lack of support on the state level and polititans who's thinking reflects that of the 1950's. I know Atlantans are starting to get frustrated too. I have a few friends myself who are about ready to pack up and call it quits on this state.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
It's HUGE and "BREAKING NEWS" in OHIO ... the long anticipated "3-C LINK" high speed commuter rail line linking the major cities of Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnatti is now moving forward. The state of Ohio just received $400 MILLION in federal stimulus funds to allow this long talked about rail line to become a reality. This is FANTASTIC news for the entire state ... and these 3 major cities. It will undoubtedly spur further growth ... a true benefit for Ohians!
That's great news.

I'm really looking forward to Florida's, California's, Ohio's, & improvements to the Acela.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Heres some clips form the NEC in 130 mph @ Princeton JCT Station , Amtrak uses inner trax and NJT uses the outer trax , unless its a Emergency then it doesn't matter, NJT always uses the inner trax for Express Trains & Equipment moves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4ts1nU1qLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHKBb7mmPjE

~Corey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City