Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,774,925 times

Advertisements

The west coast is building legit high speed rail capable of actual high speeds. Sure, the NE has the Acela high speed rail line but it's not really high speed compared to other countries or what the west coast is building. The trains will travel over 200+ mph on the west coast high speed rail. It is the first of its kind in the U.S.

Japan is offering to loan the U.S. 4 billion dollars to help pay for part of the maglev line between D.C. and Baltimore. The plan is to eventually build it all the way to Boston. It would travel at a speed of over +310 mph and cut the trip from Baltimore to D.C. down to 15 minutes. The Japanese want to have the D.C. to Baltimore segment built before the next decade which would be by 2024.

Which coast would you say has the best plan for the future? Should the U.S. invest in maglev technology or continue with high speed rail? Thoughts?

D.C. to Boston
Japan offers to lend US half the cost of 'Super Maglev' train between Washington and Baltimore - Telegraph

L.A. to San Fran
10News - Legal setbacks slow $68 billion California high-speed rail project - 10News.com - News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:18 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
How does it currently take 1 hour to get from Baltimore to DC for a 30 Mile trip? A 15 Minute trip from DC to Baltimore in 2024 really does not sound impressive. Last I heard they were talking about making a 30 Minute trip from Center City to Manhattan.

I mean it currently takes only 1 Hour to get from Philadelphia to NYC or Baltimore/DC on the Acela.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How does it currently take 1 hour to get from Baltimore to DC for a 30 Mile trip? A 15 Minute trip from DC to Baltimore in 2024 really does not sound impressive. Last I heard they were talking about making a 30 Minute trip from Center City to Manhattan.

I mean it currently takes only 1 Hour to get from Philadelphia to NYC or Baltimore/DC on the Acela.

Because Marc commuter rail travels too slow and has too many stops!

The trip to NYC from D.C. would be 1 hour on the Maglev train. The trip from Center City to Manhattan would be really fast with Maglev too. If the Maglev is built, it will end air traffic in the Bos-Wash corridor completely. Who would take a plane anywhere in the N.E. if you could get to Boston from D.C. that fast?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Because Marc commuter rail travels too slow and has too many stops!

The trip to NYC from D.C. would be 1 hour on the Maglev train. The trip from Center City to Manhattan would be really fast with Maglev too.
Ok, that makes sense-I thought they were talking about Amtrak for some reason. I think it's a no-brainer, especially if a foreign country wants to give us $4 Billion for it.

I think HSR makes sense on both the East and West Coast.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
This is more practical in the Northeast.I dont find this to be the most prudent way to spend transportation dollars out west.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Ok, that makes sense-I thought they were talking about Amtrak for some reason. I think it's a no-brainer, especially if a foreign country wants to give us $4 Billion for it.

I think HSR makes sense on both the East and West Coast.

I don't agree about HSR. I think maglev would work better on the east and west coast. I wonder if it's too late to build maglev between L.A. and San Fran?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is more practical in the Northeast.I dont find this to be the most prudent way to spend transportation dollars out west.
Then what is the cost of not building HSR in CA, IOW, expanding highways and increasing airport capacity?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

I guess we would need to figure out if maglev could be built between L.A. and San Fran and what it would cost. I don't think it's too late to switch. Why are things so expensive here to build anyway? SMH........

Old 01-09-2014, 10:47 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I guess we would need to figure out if maglev could be built between L.A. and San Fran and what it would cost. I don't think it's too late to switch. Why are things so expensive here to build anyway? SMH........

The 100 billion dollar question. Part of it is tactical opposition: delay and litigate about professed concern of cost which... drives up cost.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,015,161 times
The first leg of the California train is taking it through Bakersfield.
A more logical approach would be to connect it to the three large coastal population centers (San Diego, LA and San Francisco with limited stops every 50 -100 miles.

The second leg should be a Las Vegas Spur.
The deal with Fresno, Sacramento and Bakersfield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City