Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better?
Seattle 214 76.98%
Minneapolis 64 23.02%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Read the thread. There are plenty of examples as to why. That you don't what they say doesn't change the message,
We've shut you guys down on several occasions.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:53 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
We've shut you guys down on several occasions.
Pretty much like this guy did.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
You don't know who I am so I don't know why are trying to make rude false assumptions about me. I think I am gifted with smarts and I post many positive meaningful posts like some other people on city-data too. You also are very rude with many of your posts on city-data, especially with some of the posts you sent to me about a week ago. I saw you put up other posts recently on this thread but I don't respect opinions coming from you so I will just ignore it.

Anyways, I already said there are some nice things about Minneapolis, but there are 10 cities in the USA I like much more than Minneapolis. Most Americans are like me and actually like those other 10 cities (including Seattle for one example) much more than Minneapolis, so this is just popular American opinion. Also, most Americans as well as most people from outside America simply sort of forget about Minneapolis and don't consider living in or visiting Minneapolis because of those 10 other USA cities that exist that most choose to think about more and consider visiting and living in more. I know the truth hurts, but this just how it is.
You just post obnoxious opinions with no facts behind them, until somebody puts you in a corner and you back facts only on the few things that you can actually come out ahead on. Your attitude about Seattle comes off as elitist and pompus, which nobody likes. Seattle and the Twin Cities couldn't be closer in size than they currently are, even though Seattle is more popular and growing faster. So to say that Seattle is just SO much more popular or so much more well liked doesn't manifest itself with population, GDP, or growth alone. It comes down to amenities and opinions, and at the end of the day the two cities are essentially sister cities (as is Denver). I know you'd like to think Seattle is an elite U.S. city, but it's not.....I know the truth hurts, but that's just how it is.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,042 times
First you say this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
You just post obnoxious opinions with no facts behind them, until somebody puts you in a corner and you back facts only on the few things that you can actually come out ahead on. Your attitude about Seattle comes off as elitist and pompus, which nobody likes.
Then you say this...

Quote:
Seattle and the Twin Cities couldn't be closer in size than they currently are, even though Seattle is more popular and growing faster.

Seattle Population 563,374
Minneapolis Population, 382,578

Surely you jest.

Their respective metro sizes are close, but as cities they are not.

Just sayin. Check your facts. The question wasn't about the Twin cities. It was about Minneapolis and Seattle.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
First you say this...

Then you say this...

Surely you jest.

Their respective metro sizes are close, but as cities they are not.

Just sayin. Check your facts. The question wasn't about the Twin cities. It was about Minneapolis and Seattle.
Oh my GOD!!!!!!! MSA popultions only! Notice how I said "Twiin Cities" and not Minneapolis! It's called "context", and in the contex of what I said, it was inferred that I was talking about metro stats: population, GDP, etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Pretty much like this guy did.

My impression of Seattle responses to surveys:

Better weather: rain is so much better than snow, and it's like sunny every day in the summer

Better economy: Starbucks and Microsoft are so much cooler than 3M or Land o' Lakes, you probably don't even have any Fortune 500 companies

Better skyline: we have mountains and an ocean...Seattle, hands down!

Better food: if you don't have a seafood market you can't have good food

Better schools: Since University of Washington is better than the University of Minnesota, Seattle has better schools overall

These aren't even arguments, they are purely subjective opinions. Humility, facts and context are not a part of these discussions at all. Most people in the country and even in Minneapolis know that Seattle probably has a better skyline than Minneapolis, but it's the way you represent your city that makes me and others want to argue with you. And Seattle's skyline, although slightly better, is just that -- SLIGHTLY. It's not Manhattan vs. Tulsa, it's very much an apples-to-apples comparison.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM

818 posts, read 1,387,790 times
Quote:

Minny has 56 square miles of land area, where Seattle has 86 square miles. Their densities are the same, meaning if Minny had 30 miles extra its population would mirror Seattle's. Minny and Seattle are more comparable than not, sure Seattle has better scenery and IMO weather but Minny and Seattle are #s 1 and 2 in literacy. Minny is a respectable city.

FYI I live in NYC and dont have a dog in this fight

Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,824,436 times
Not a very fare comparison Downtown Seattle is almost twice the size of Minneapolis.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 AM

292 posts, read 752,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Seattle easily wins this over Minneapolis. Seattle in my opinion has the third best skyline in the USA.

Is there ANYTHING positive that Minneapolis beats Seattle in?
Sorry, but San Francisco's skyline has to come in third, ahead of Seattle. Not only does SF have over twice as many buildings over 400 feet than Seattle, but it's one of the few skylines that looks so much more impressive in person than in pictures (it's usually the opposite).

Last edited by overunder12; 04-28-2011 at 02:19 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
I love the Seattle skyline and its just as beautiful in person. San Francisco has a nice skyline but it's definately not third imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City