Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you like better?
Seattle 214 76.98%
Minneapolis 64 23.02%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 PM

39 posts, read 46,721 times

Advertisements

This one ain't even close. Sorry Minneapolis but it is Seattle by a mile.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:03 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoFace View Post
This one ain't even close. Sorry Minneapolis but it is Seattle by a mile.

Have you seen either skyline in person? Didn't think so.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post

Have you seen either skyline in person? Didn't think so.
Not sure why you're eye rolling, most people agree with TexasTwoFace. Furthermore, what the hell does "seeing either in person" have anything to do with a skyline which is better captured in photos than by most human perspectives, or do you routinely fly a helicopter to work?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:38 AM

I have seen them both in person, I'm not sure why you assume I haven't, but at any rate I'm not sure it matters since the skylines can be captured better, by more angles, at different times of day over different times of year with cameras than I could ever imagine to hope to view them from my own two feet.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Not sure why you're eye rolling, most people agree with TexasTwoFace. Furthermore, what the hell does "seeing either in person" have anything to do with a skyline which is better captured in photos than by most human perspectives, or do you routinely fly a helicopter to work?
I eye rolled because a not even close comment would be better suited for a Seattle vs Fargo comparison. I give Seattle's skyline the nod over Minneapolis, but I don't think it's "not even close" or "Seattle by a mile." Yes, I've seen both in person (from different perspectives) and yes, I've seen the thousands of photos that include the Space Needle and the Seattle skyline.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoFace View Post
I have seen them both in person, I'm not sure why you assume I haven't, but at any rate I'm not sure it matters since the skylines can be captured better, by more angles, at different times of day over different times of year with cameras than I could ever imagine to hope to view them from my own two feet.
I think he's more critical of your "not even close" comment, considering that Minneapolis arguably has better architecture amongst the buildings that make up its skyline than Seattle does, and yet Seattle is so much better it's "not even close" -- how? Because of its size? It's larger but not by leaps and bounds. Because of its backdrop? That's my guess as to why people favor Seattle so heavily, yet that has nothing to do with downtown per se, but it can be considered part of a "skyline", depending on how it's defined.

Seattle has more skyscrapers and a nicer backdrop, I agree, but overall the two downtowns have a fairly similar number of high-rises (both between 225 and 300) and both have well-placed building layout and concentration, with denser-than-average downtown building clusters. They're more similar than they are different, let's put it that way. And if that's true, then one is probably not leaps and bounds better than the other.

Other downtowns that are in Seattle's league:

-Pittsburgh (a bit smaller, but much more beautiful architecture, IMO)
-Denver (also has a nice backdrop with mountains, and isn't too much smaller)
-Philadelphia (actually bigger than Seattle, but arguably not quite as pretty and the backdrop isn't either)
-San Francisco (also bigger than Seattle, and I prefer its backdrop to Seattle's as well, but some would differ and hence, they're comparable)
-Boston (similar in size, similarly right along the waterfront)
-Miami (although much larger now, it's not nearly as iconic IMO and the building mix isn't as interesting)

Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Not even close as in where Seattle regularly pops up on top ten skylines in the world and Minneapolis has a hard enough time making a top ten US skylines. It is not that Minneapolis has a garbage skyline but that it's being compared to one of the best makes it's not even close in my personal estimation.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Seattle pops up on lists because Seattle gets frequent media attention because Seattle is on the West Coast. Do you seriously take those lists as hard fact?

I literally can't think of ten US skylines that are easily better than Minneapolis and I can DEFINITELY EASILY think of ten skylines in the world that are easily far better than Seattle.

If you took out the Space Needle and showed both skylines to someone who had never seen either, I can't imagine they would say "not even close."

Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 PM

I didn't take that as fact since it was someone's opinion and any debate between skylines is just people's opinions but my own opinion was that Seattle has the far superior skyline, and the lists plus this poll demonstrate that I am of the majority opinion. Plus for arguement's sake Chicago, New York, Seattle, Dallas, San Fransisco, Miami, Philadelphia, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Houston.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:03 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Two_Times View Post
Seattle. Like I said before, Minneapolis' skyline is very ugly to me because of the lack of "filler" buildings. Every major scraper tries to look "unique". The architects have no sense of surroundings and fitting in when designing the buildings there.
Agree. Someone pointed out the space needle earlier, but I think the second Seattle pic without the Needle is more impressive.

Filler building applies to a city like Houston too. Yep, t's tall, but seems sparse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City