Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times

Advertisements

Scenes from around the Phoenix area:

Light Rail bridge over Tempe Town Lake towards Mill Ave. area

View north towards Uptown

Looking south towards Phoenix from the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort...Yes, those are old growth areas with huge trees and parks between the Cliffs Resort and the Central City area.

Less than a block area of Scottsdale Waterfront

I didn't take any of these photos...I can not take a decent picture to save my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:31 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Except for the first two pictures, and the one with the ugly light rail train, the other pics look like areas of Tempe, Chandler, Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale, and suburban sections of Phoenix (Desert Ridge). Are they taking Phoenix architectural styles and queues and using them in Dallas? Ugh get your own style! Those look awfully Phoenician and southwestern and not Texan and Southern...hmmm
Not exactly. It's what those of us in more cosmopolitan environs call being diverse with a wide range of styles and cultures.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:35 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Scenes from around the Phoenix area:

Light Rail bridge over Tempe Town Lake towards Mill Ave. area

View north towards Uptown

Looking south towards Phoenix from the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort...Yes, those are old growth areas with huge trees and parks between the Cliffs Resort and the Central City area.

Less than a block area of Scottsdale Waterfront

I didn't take any of these photos...I can not take a decent picture to save my life!
AWESOME JOB!!!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:45 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,272 times
"Actually, no. ...using green energy sources, reclaiming water for landscaping, basically, as little impact on the environment as possible...."

But those things do cost more. I'm not saying that the light rail shouldn't be built responsibly, but it was asked what the difference between the Metro and DART is, and someone said the Metro is "green". Using solar and wind energy to power the light rail costs more than if nuclear or coal energy were used. And if it costs more to operate, they've got to get the money somehow, and it will either be in fare or tax.
Not saying one or the other is better, just pointing out the difference.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Not exactly. It's what those of us in more cosmopolitan environs call being diverse with a wide range of styles and cultures.
Oh, so playing on semantics to make unoriginal sound cool! Yes, that makes sense. Now I understand Dallas...

Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"Actually, no. ...using green energy sources, reclaiming water for landscaping, basically, as little impact on the environment as possible...."

But those things do cost more. I'm not saying that the light rail shouldn't be built responsibly, but it was asked what the difference between the Metro and DART is, and someone said the Metro is "green". Using solar and wind energy to power the light rail costs more than if nuclear or coal energy were used. And if it costs more to operate, they've got to get the money somehow, and it will either be in fare or tax.
Not saying one or the other is better, just pointing out the difference.
Depends on the product and your time constraints for "economical" and cost saving. Some products, including those used as recycled hardware for station art and building etc, were cheaper to acquire and have remanufactured locally. Green energy does cost more today but what of the economic impact of ignoring these technologies today in favor of old technologies? What costs a little more today will cost many times more in the future to retrofit, upgrade, reinstall, and I have a strong belief that in the near future solar and wind will be cheaper especially in cities like Phoenix. Remember some returns on investments are seen over time and with huge financial incentives in some cases. The old adage, "planning for tomorrow...today," applies here emphatically.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Here are some more photos of only downtown Phoenix:

Some of these have been shared before.

This one is very old, as noted by the existence of Patriot Square park in the back where CityScape's first tower has already reached its vertical height. But I just love the look of the Historic City Hall and County Courthouse.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-01-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 11:51 AM

"and I have a strong belief that in the near future solar and wind will be cheaper especially in cities like Phoenix."

Wishful thinking, at best.

Have you ever thought of the real estate needed to power Phoenix with wind and solar? What about the cost of the hardware and maintenance? What backup is there for when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine? How does one manage that system?
Neither wind nor solar technologies are new, and the U.S. government (both federal and some state) have spent millions upon millions on these technologies since the 1970's. Yet, together, they equal less than 1% of all U.S. energy. Why? Because a) they don't work on a large scale and b) they cost too much. If that statement wasn't true, you'd see a lot more wind and solar farms across America right now.
One prediction I have is that if solar and wind become even just 15% of the total energy source for Phoenix, there will be restrictions on when one can use electricity. Lights out after 10 PM! Sadly, I think that will be a reality.

Why Wind Won't Work

Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"and I have a strong belief that in the near future solar and wind will be cheaper especially in cities like Phoenix."

Wishful thinking, at best.

Have you ever thought of the real estate needed to power Phoenix with wind and solar? What about the cost of the hardware and maintenance? What backup is there for when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine? How does one manage that system?
Neither wind nor solar technologies are new, and the U.S. government (both federal and some state) have spent millions upon millions on these technologies since the 1970's. Yet, together, they equal less than 1% of all U.S. energy. Why? Because a) they don't work on a large scale and b) they cost too much. If that statement wasn't true, you'd see a lot more wind and solar farms across America right now.
One prediction I have is that if solar and wind become even just 15% of the total energy source for Phoenix, there will be restrictions on when one can use electricity. Lights out after 10 PM! Sadly, I think that will be a reality.

Why Wind Won't Work
Yes, but this is all old information that has been recently updated with new advances in technologies and efficient cross-generation. Basically, solar technologies of the 70's were an immediate catch, carry, use, or lose system. Today, solar tubes, plasma salt tanks, etc. make it easier and more efficient to produce, store, and rely on solar than in the past. Wind is less reliable as wind farms will have to be placed in area with the greatest percentage of wind prone regions. However, Phoenix having a lack of sunny days to have a massive solar energy system feeding the grid is comical. Unless our sun super novas Arizona will have plenty of sunshine. The energy companies have already agreed to build solar farms and generating facilities located on federal, state, indian reservations and private land. Here are some articles to get you caught up.

Governor signs more solar bills - Phoenix Business Journal:

Arizona green jobs growing at faster clip

Skyrocketing solar projects creates demand for desert land

Arizona utility plans new solar thermal plant | Industries | Industrials, Materials & Utilities | Reuters

News Release: APS Pilot Envisions Interconnected Solar Rooftops, 05/11/2009

Old 08-01-2009, 12:43 PM

I was already caught up. I'm pretty versed on this, thank you very much.

All that you've pointed out to me is that TAX money is being used to make solar energy happen. But why not private money? Because it is a bad investment, and investors know that. So you have the tax payers fit the bill, then make all sorts of "incentives" to give the impression that it's financially worthwhile.
If it were financially worthwhile, solar energy would already be a major source of energy. Instead, it has to be forced down everyone's throat and paid for with our children's money.
Here is a question: how much real estate would be required to build a solar farm large enough to power Phoenix metro? What would it cost to build it and maintain it? What would that do to real estate prices in the state? What happens at night and on cloudy days (Monsoon, especially, when the demand for energy is highest)?
And we haven't even started talking about the negative environmental impact of solar and wind. Yes, there are some bad side-effects, like, for example, with wind, migration and death issues with birds and soil degradation.

American Thinker Blog: Not so Green Solar Energy

Also, for every "green" job created, how many "non-green" jobs are lost? The fact that one industry is growing at the hands of government means nothing if another industry is being destroyed at the hands of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City