Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 07:49 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,015,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Hey hey, were not that bad are we?
Many of my family are from California, its just a stereotype, some true some NOT true. I don't mind California migration as long as they aren't the naked PETA protesters like they get in Seattle at Pike's Place Market, half naked, decorated like fish yelling at the traditional fish throwers at the market!!! That pi$$es me off! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Many of my family are from California, its just a stereotype, some true some NOT true. I don't mind California migration as long as they aren't the naked PETA protesters like they get in Seattle at Pike's Place Market, half naked, decorated like fish yelling at the traditional fish throwers at the market!!! That pi$$es me off! LOL!
Haha, well believe it or not, most of us arent like that at all. I come from the Los Angeles suburb of Torrance. Torrance is a very moderate place, and we are pretty much ordinary people for the most part. Its very laid back and an excellent place to raise a family. I loved growing up there. In fact we rarely ventured into most of LA unless we had to. My dad worked on Figureoa St. downtown, so he had to go every day. Not a fun trip up the 110. I always prefered going to El Segundo, Long Beach, and Redondo Beach for fun as opposed to LA.

Im afraid every place has its good and bad people. Take any major city in the US and you can find people who are like what you describe (yes, even Phoenix and Dallas). You can also find very conservative and religious people in any major city the in the US.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Haha, well believe it or not, most of us arent like that at all. I come from the Los Angeles suburb of Torrance. Torrance is a very moderate place, and we are pretty much ordinary people for the most part. Its very laid back and an excellent place to raise a family. I loved growing up there. In fact we rarely ventured into most of LA unless we had to. My dad worked on Figureoa St. downtown, so he had to go every day. Not a fun trip up the 110. I always prefered going to El Segundo, Long Beach, and Redondo Beach for fun as opposed to LA.

Im afraid every place has its good and bad people. Take any major city in the US and you can find people who are like what you describe (yes, even Phoenix and Dallas). You can also find very conservative and religious people in any major city the in the US.
Oh, I know, LOL, preaching to the choir here, I graduated from USC! LOL, but there is just a MUCH, MUCH greater percentage and presence of those weird type in Cali and L.A. LOL! But then, the percentage of those that are quite "normal" in Cali and L.A. outnumber the freaks and weirdos. LOL!

Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson2930 View Post
Well, just to add my own opinion.

I've live in Dallas my entire life. That is 38 years. Depending on where you are, and what you make of it, Dallas is a great city. I'm actually moving to Phoenix, in the next few months. But just because it's time for change. It's not that I don't love my home town. But it does have its ups, and it's downs. We have great museums, theatres, and parks. You just have to know where to go. Concert halls, stadiums, and the best six - flags in the world. However,

The traffic can be absolutely horrible, and yes the summers are extremely hot. But the winters aren't that bad. Because honestly, we almost have a non- existant winter most of the time. During the entire winter season we have maybe 2 weeks totally that's really, cold. I think I put on a heavy coat for maybe 3 days this winter. As a matter of fact, Christmas day the sun was out and it was a little warm. So I didn't wear a Jacket.

As far as schools go, please don't put your children in DISD, unless they are in North Dallas, or Highland park area. Otherwise, stick to the suburbs, if you have children in school. Stay with places like, Richardson, Mesquite, Plano.

Yes we have great shopping. Especially at the galleria, or the North Park mall. And the Allen Outlet mall is absolutely heaven. (That's for the shoppers)

But spring time is beautiful, and so is the fall. If you can get through the 3 months of extreme heat, and 109 in the shade in august, you can survivie Dallas. Like any other city, it has it's good and it's bad. But some words of advice. If you come to visit, stay away from South Dallas, West Dallas, and Oakcliff. Not places for visitors. You could accidently stumble across the wrong neighborhood. Not all parts of those areas are bad, but if you don't know where you're going. You could end up in some pretty rough areas. If you plan on moving to Dallas. Try to get a place in one of the suburbs. Because there's literally no real crime going on in the suburban areas. The cops in these areas are bored to death. You catch them just sitting in their cars twiddling their thumbs sometimes. But watch you speed, and moving violations, because they love to write tickets. Pick places like Mesquite, Plano, Richardson, Allen, Addison, that way you're a little bit away, but still close enough in to get to downtown dallas in about 20 minutes if you need to . Close to the center.

I hope this helps some
Thank you KWILSON! I have lived in Phoenix my whole life but am looking to move to Dallas for the same reason, just a change.... and I know a few people there which helps. I'd really like to live downtown though, just to be near it all. Any neighborhoods in particular downtown you would recommend for a 30 year old female?

And about the weather - everyone should know that here in Phx we have 5 months of extreme heat. Yes, you get used to it, but it's at least 4 months of 105+ temps, and with the monsoons it definitely gets humid. But Scottsdale is fun for sure, lots of shopping, restaurants and bars.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:44 AM

223 posts, read 596,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

The "sea of red" you are seeing is basically a lot of sparsely populated, almost empty land. If the state was colored in red & blue based on population, not land area, it would be a lot closer to 50% blue and 50% red.
Take a look at this page, and scroll down; they have red/blue maps based on voting results, not land area. I don't know if there is one for Texas alone, though ...

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Take a look at this page, and scroll down; they have red/blue maps based on voting results, not land area. I don't know if there is one for Texas alone, though ...
Looks like Texas is still much more red than AZ as AZ looks much more purple when broken down by county. Maricopa is a pretty solid purple for this last election. Doesn't surprise me, McCain is a local hero and well respected in Arizona. However, if the candidate wasn't McCain, I think Arizona would have gone for Obama.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
I don't mind California migration as long as they aren't the naked PETA protesters like they get in Seattle at Pike's Place Market, half naked, decorated like fish yelling at the traditional fish throwers at the market!!! That pi$$es me off! LOL!
Hey, if theyre dressed like fish, that just gives you the excuse to run up and shove a hook through their cheek and then drag them around the street on a wire, then chop their heads off, fillet them, and toss em in some broiling water and serve them fresh on a platter.

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hey, if theyre dressed like fish, that just gives you the excuse to run up and shove a hook through their cheek and then drag them around the street on a wire, then chop their heads off, fillet them, and toss em in some broiling water and serve them fresh on a platter.

PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

LMAO! Great new use for the PETA acronym! I'm sure one of those fish tossers got ahold of one of the human fish and put 'em on ice!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:35 PM

223 posts, read 596,307 times
Quote:
I've spent 25 years in and around SF / Bay Area. The majority of people, even in the Bay Area (perhaps the most liberal place in the country), are simply hard working people getting on with life. Sure, in SF itself we have a few 'weird goings on' (like the monthly 'Critical Mass' bicycle event) but by and large, it's not noticeably different. Most people, like myself, breeze in on BART, work, and breeze out again. The Bay Area is full of hard working, high-energy people and the prevailing issue is work obsession, not 'PETA' or bike riding or whatever. Further - the small group that are really into the PETA stuff, or the bike riding stuff, or whatever, are the LAST people to consider moving to AZ. My die-hard SF buddies won't even move 25 miles out to the East Bay because it's 'too hot' and 'too conservative' - so I don't think you have too much to worry about from the CA invasion!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I've spent 25 years in and around SF / Bay Area. The majority of people, even in the Bay Area (perhaps the most liberal place in the country), are simply hard working people getting on with life. Sure, in SF itself we have a few 'weird goings on' (like the monthly 'Critical Mass' bicycle event) but by and large, it's not noticeably different. Most people, like myself, breeze in on BART, work, and breeze out again. The Bay Area is full of hard working, high-energy people and the prevailing issue is work obsession, not 'PETA' or bike riding or whatever. Further - the small group that are really into the PETA stuff, or the bike riding stuff, or whatever, are the LAST people to consider moving to AZ. My die-hard SF buddies won't even move 25 miles out to the East Bay because it's 'too hot' and 'too conservative' - so I don't think you have too much to worry about from the CA invasion!
NOT true, I see them all the time. I don't spend much time in Surprise, Chandler, Ahwatukee, Goodyear, etc. but those type of Californians are all over the Central City area. Come downtown, uptown, Melrose, Tempe, Central Scottsdale and you will see more than enough of these type of Californians. Then they get in their WV's and tailgate! LOL, it's just annoying! Yesterday, there were some PETA protesters outside of KFC, LOL! See them all the time at First Fridays and sometimes they gather in front of a restaurant there trying to get people to not eat the sushi...often yelling: "Fish have Feelings too!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City