Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 08:48 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In my world Aerosmith, Donna Summer, New Edition hell even the Dropkick Murphy's are more relevant than Bruce Springsteen and Frank Valli.

I've never heard of Frank Valli....and I do not know any Bruce Springsteen songs. Honestly? I thought he was an actor until like 2 years ago.

I don't know any Frank Sinatra but I know hes uber-famous.

Maybe that is homerism because they play on the radio a lot in MA? Idk.
Wow on Springsteen. And I don't even like any of his recent stuff. But damn he's famous the world over much moreso than Donna Summer or New Edition or the Dropkick Murphys lol. No contest there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 08:48 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
All of those and you left out Boston?
I'm a young person who listens exclusively to hip hop. I dont know 'Boston'- i feel like I've heard of them but I couldn't like a name you a song or the era they're from. I also feel like I heard they weren't from Boston when i was like..12. I also think I got them confused with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Wow on Springsteen. And I don't even like any of his recent stuff. But damn he's famous the world over much moreso than Donna Summer or New Edition or the Dropkick Murphys lol. No contest there.
I just have no idea of his relevance lol. I feel like ike hes always the butt of some joke I dont get lol..When I hear Bruce Springsteen I think of some Vin Diesel-looking guy with a guitar. Time for Google...

EDIT: This man looks nothing like Vin Diesel.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:51 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Sinatra, Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Whitney Houston, Frankie Valli (Jersey Boys). Jersey dominates in this category.

Many of the other ones people are bringing up are just due to personal memories but not nearly as famous. Some of you are seriously comparing Aerosmith, Boston, NKOTB and Bobbi Brown to the legendary timeless names I listed above??? That's some serious homerism
Aerosmith, The Cars, Boston, James Taylor, New Kids on The Block, Donna Summers... I think we can all agree the NJ list is more notable, but it's not like they're playing a different sport. Aerosmith has sold more records than Sinatra or Bon Jovi, two positions behind Springsteen.

But Massachusetts had quite a run in the 80s-early 2000s in the Indie/Alternative/Hard Rock world.

Of course this is completely subjective.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:56 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,087,937 times
Quote:
I just have no idea of his relevance lol. I feel like ike hes always the butt of some joke I dont get lol..When I hear Bruce Springsteen I think of some Vin Diesel-looking guy with a guitar. Time for Google...

EDIT: This man looks nothing like Vin Diesel.
Too funny. He's gotten stale recently. His recent one man Broadway act where he charged exorbitant prices really turned off a segment of his fanbase from what I heard. I was never a huge fan but I loved his Born in the USA album in the 80's.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:58 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
In my world Aerosmith, Donna Summer, New Edition hell even the Dropkick Murphy's are more relevant than Bruce Springsteen and Frank Valli.

I've never heard of Frank Valli....and I do not know any Bruce Springsteen songs. Honestly? I thought he was an actor until like 2 years ago.

I don't know any Frank Sinatra but I know hes uber-famous.

Maybe that is homerism because they play on the radio a lot in MA? Idk.
This just means you're not much into music. Just like someone who's not really into sports might not have any idea or Messi or Federer are.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Aerosmith, The Cars, Boston, James Taylor, New Kids on The Block, Donna Summers... I think we can all agree the NJ list is more notable, but it's not like they're playing a different sport. Aerosmith has sold more records than Sinatra or Bon Jovi, two positions behind Springsteen.

But Massachusetts had quite a run in the 80s-early 2000s in the Indie/Alternative/Hard Rock world.

Of course this is completely subjective.

Just a few groups- Google says

Whitney Houston has sold 200 million records

Jersey Boys sold 175 million (who the hell are they??)

Donna Summer has sold 130 million records.

Aerosmith has sold 150 million

Bruce Springsteen at 150 million.

James Taylor at 100 Million

NKOTB is at 80 million

New Edition/Bell Biv Devoe/Bobby Brown are at 77 million

Boston is at 75 million

The Cars has sold 24 million

Old 10-28-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This just means you're not much into music. Just like someone who's not really into sports might not have any idea or Messi or Federer are.
Very far from that. I wrote for a music blog for years and also hosted a radio show in college. I actually was the vice president of the temple of hip hop at my college and brought Rakim, and Joyner Lucas and other to campus. Got to do some interviews. I am very into hip hop, funk//boogie, rnb, and house. I just don't listen to other genres because I don't enjoy them. I'm not around people who listen to these people- not my world.

EDIT: I use to like punk rock for a brief spell. Once went to a Green Day concert. Have some Yellowcard and the Caesars but thats all very old

Old 10-28-2022, 09:04 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times
Quote:
Just a few groups- Google says

Whitney Houston has sold 200 million record

Jersey Boys sold 175 million (who the hell are they??)

Donna Summer has sold 130 million records.

Aerosmith has sold 50 million

Bruce Springsteen at 150 million.

James Taylor at 100 Million

NKOTB is at 80 million

New Editions/Bell Biv Devoe/Bobby Brown are at 77 million

Boston is at 75 million

The Cars has sold 24 million
Heh?

150 million.

They have 5 albums between 507 - 73 of the best selling albums of all time.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Heh?

Over 150 million.

They have 5 albums between 507 - 73 of the best selling albums of all time.
typo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City