Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 12:41 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Everywhere Im not I guess. That's assuming id watch the Red Sox. The only baseball I watch is when I actually go to an Orioles game.

I'm not being a contrarian I just feel like there are other "New York songs" kind of similar to this. I've def never heard this son though. It feels like it should be part of some Burlesque show. I never heard it on WODS back in the day so it doesn't register.
Maybe this is a generational difference, but if you look at some of the greatest producers in the history of rap music such as Pete Rock, Kanye West, Just Blaze, or even Jazzy Jeff, they all have a really deep knowledge of music that most of the younger producers do not. Guys used to dig through the crates looking for obscure songs to sample. Now guys just fire up their MacBooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 01:07 PM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Maybe this is a generational difference, but if you look at some of the greatest producers in the history of rap music such as Pete Rock, Kanye West, Just Blaze, or even Jazzy Jeff, they all have a really deep knowledge of music that most of the younger producers do not. Guys used to dig through the crates looking for obscure songs to sample. Now guys just fire up their MacBooks.
Yes an no. Producer today are sampling people who are idk to them. Like Aaliyah, Tweet, Mase, blue Cantrell, Michael Jackson, Case and other from the 1990s. Often times those people s smash hits are older than the producers.

Add to this hip hop was popular my entire life. There was really less need and exposure to non hip hop music or at least non black music. Like in comparison to someone born in the 1970s. You can be more siloed. I’d love to hear people sample LTD or the New Jersey Connection or Buddy Miles but that’s like really really old now.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:30 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
1. You live in California- where its more expensive and equally appealing.
2. MA does not have a high tax burden relative.
3. Nice things cost money.
4. I rent a 2 bedroom in Somerset County NJ for 2200. Thats not bad at all
1. Where do you get the impression that I live in California? I haven't lived in California in over a decade. And I left California for the same reason - taxes and CoL.
2. It has a high tax burden relative to what I consider acceptable.
3. Some nice things cost less money than other nice things.
4. You're in Somerset County.

Old 10-28-2022, 07:31 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Seems like a bit of a narrow mindset.
Not really.

If the economics are unacceptable, everything else is irrelevant. Therefore, if the economics are unacceptable, the location(s) in question are excluded from consideration.

Old 10-28-2022, 08:58 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
1. Where do you get the impression that I live in California? I haven't lived in California in over a decade. And I left California for the same reason - taxes and CoL.
2. It has a high tax burden relative to what I consider acceptable.
3. Some nice things cost less money than other nice things.
4. You're in Somerset County.
Your location is in CA according to your profile.

And Somerset County is very nice but its far out

Old 10-30-2022, 05:11 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Neil Diamond is a name I've heard and I'm assuming he makes music too.
"Sweet Caroline (BAH-BUH-BUH)...good times never seemed so good (SO GOOD! SO GOOD! SO GOOD!)..."

I've been in too many rooms full of drunk white kids singing along to this chorus to not know Neil Diamond's music.

Old 10-30-2022, 05:21 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
they play New York, New York literally everywhere here.

The Red Sox even played it when they beat the Yankees in 2018, which was hilarious.

Then you have this 2021 mashup which is brilliant, which was played everywhere last year. It was like #1 on Tiktok and Reels for a good 3-4 weeks:
[soundcloud=400]159513770[/soundcloud]
The Red Sox play Sweet Caroline every game. Gag! And Dirty Water is kind of ironic as the other Fenway Park theme song. I remember Boston before the clean water act in the Combat Zone era. The song did a pretty good job portraying Boston 50 years ago.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:49 AM

327 posts, read 223,816 times
I am not particularly fond of geographically small states, but I think Massachusetts is superior to New Jersey due to greater variation in culture, climate and topography.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:42 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"Sweet Caroline (BAH-BUH-BUH)...good times never seemed so good (SO GOOD! SO GOOD! SO GOOD!)..."

I've been in too many rooms full of drunk white kids singing along to this chorus to not know Neil Diamond's music.
Oh yea I know sweet Caroline of course. Just didn’t know or think about who sang it.

Old 10-30-2022, 11:15 AM

6,818 posts, read 6,062,057 times
Neil Diamond is from NY anyway. Not NJ or MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City