Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 01:53 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket, and most of the Mass coastline are more scenic than any Jersey Shore beach. I'll say that much. But as far as where the elite goes on vacation; who cares about those people and where they go? Part of the Jersey Shore's appeal is its accessibility and variety of destinations to a broader range of demographics and middle class families. It also offers a better variety of amenities and entertainment right at the beach.
These people have the means an ability to go literally everywhere. And they go to Nantucket. That speaks to the quality of the place.

Plus he said Cape May or Asbury Park were equivalent to Nantucket or Martha’s Vinyard. And they are pretty obviously not the same kind of place.
Just like people from NJ/NY go to the Berkshires. They choose it over the more accessible NNJ highlands. Because it’s better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 02:04 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
These people have the means an ability to go literally everywhere. And they go to Nantucket. That speaks to the quality of the place.

Plus he said Cape May or Asbury Park were equivalent to Nantucket or Martha’s Vinyard. And they are pretty obviously not the same kind of place.
Just like people from NJ/NY go to the Berkshires. They choose it over the more accessible NNJ highlands. Because it’s better.
Eh... bringing it back down to earth, I've skied awesome slopes in the Colorado Rockies and been to many beautiful mountain towns out there; but going Aspen never crossed my mind as its elite status is off putting. I feel the same way about Nantucket. Jersey Shore gives you a better bang for the buck when booking a beach vacation. Because there's more to do right at the beach and a better variety of destinations and beach towns to choose from.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Eh... bringing it back down to earth, I've skied awesome slopes in the Colorado Rockies and been to many beautiful mountain towns out there; but going Aspen never crossed my mind as its elite status is off putting. I feel the same way about Nantucket. Jersey Shore gives you a better bang for the buck when booking a beach vacation. Because there's more to do right at the beach and a better variety of destinations and beach towns to choose from.
Aspen has elite status cause it’s objectively better than like Berkshire East. Not just randomly out of thin air

Old 01-08-2024, 02:13 PM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Aspen has elite status cause it’s objectively better than like Berkshire East. Not just randomly out of thin air
You twisted my point, there are several other mountain towns in Colorado that offer as good of quality for a mountain vacation experience as elitist Aspen. Berkshire East is neither here nor there and a bit out of context.

Cape May is not the answer to Marthas Vineyard, but it stands on its own as one of the best beach towns on the East Coast nonetheless.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:40 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

Also statistically Massachusetts has 1 restaurant per 505 residents and NJ 1 per 577 residents.

The facts do not show there are more places to go in New Jersey
Way wayyy more local restaurants in walkable areas. Ive extensively lived in both states. NJ wins there.

Why are you so defensive over this?

Old 01-08-2024, 02:44 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Way wayyy more local restaurants in walkable areas. Ive extensively lived in both states. NJ wins there.
When anecdote goes up against data, data wins.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Why are you so defensive over this?
But that’s not true.

It’s actually demonstrably false. You get that answer by factoring out places in Massachusetts that well outstrip anywhere in NJ (you know, anywhere near Boston) the fact is NJ loses a lot of people every day due to commuting. So lots of restaurants that should be in NJ are actually in New York or Pennsylvania.

Although Massachusetts does have a plethora of like ~10-25 location “local chains” so depending on your definition of local restaurants, you might be correct.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM

Quote:
You twisted my point, there are several other mountain towns in Colorado that offer as good of quality for a mountain vacation experience as elitist Aspen. Berkshire East is neither here nor there and a bit out of context.

Cape May is not the answer to Marthas Vineyard, but it stands on its own as one of the best beach towns on the East Coast nonetheless.
I don’t think there is a huge difference in demographics between Aspen, Breckinridge, Telluride, and Vail. Especially in the Mega Pass era where everyone has access to everywhere now.

But the general point that places get exclusive for a reason is true.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:57 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
When anecdote goes up against data, data wins.
Restaurants per capita, is not data to what we are talking about lol. NJ has more TOD/residents per capita, theres quite literally no space left lol

Old 01-08-2024, 03:01 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Restaurants per capita, is not data to what we are talking about lol. NJ has more TOD/residents per capita, theres quite literally no space left lol
Never been to Willingboro I see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City