Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 05:11 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
If NJ can get extra points for being close to Rehoboth, DE, can Mass get some points for being close Hampton Beach, NH, which is the closest thing we have in New England to a Jersey style beach (and you don't have to pay to get on the sand)?
I'd say Old Orchard Beach comes closer as they actually still have amusement park rides, water slides, and an ocean pier. These are all missing from Hampton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I imagine Salisbury Beach could fit the bill too with the arcade, restaurants, bars, boardwalk, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Salisbury is trashier than any NJ beach lol

Even Hampton Beach NH is slightly worse than Seaside Heights.
I don't see how Salisbury and Hampton could be comparable to a Jersey Shore boardwalk town. Like literally, where's the boardwalks?

This..... is a boardwalk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtrgHa7qZgQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 05:18 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Salisbury is trashier than any NJ beach lol

Even Hampton Beach NH is slightly worse than Seaside Heights.
Atlantic City would be damn close to the most rundown city in all of Massachusetts let alone the shore

Old 01-09-2024, 05:19 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'd say Old Orchard Beach comes closer as they actually still have amusement park rides, water slides, and an ocean pier. These are all missing from Hampton.

I don't see how Salisbury and Hampton could be comparable to a Jersey Shore boardwalk town. Like literally, where's the boardwalks?

Thank you, my god. These Bostonians need to visit NJ first before they say this stuff lol

Old 01-09-2024, 05:55 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Like literally, where's the boardwalks?
Is this a rhetorical question?

Edit: fwiw, I’m more than happy to concede NJ beating MA in terms of honky-tonk beaches. I just question it being a blow-out in terms of beaches in general considering P-Town, Nantucket, and the Vineyard (let alone places like Plum Island, Horseneck, Crane, Duxbury, or anywhere along the Cape Cod national seashore)

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 01-09-2024 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 08:08 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:

If I never walked on or saw another boardwalk in my life, I’d be perfectly fine.

I’ll take the towns dotted along the North Shore, South Shore, Cape and the Islands all day. Not to say Jersey doesn’t have nice, scenic coastal towns too. But nowhere near the level of variety and uniqueness. Even the changes in topography are so much more dramatic.. Aquinnah Cliffs, National Seashore Dunes, the rugged coast in Essex County, the sandy beaches of the South Shore, the rolling hills and farms along the South Coast.

Frankly, I think Massachusetts coastal beauty is far underrated. Overshadowed by Maine to the North, and a victim of Cape Cod/Nantucket/Martha’s Vineyards success. So much more to it, so much natural beauty and one-of-a-kind towns and cities.

Last edited by mwj119; 01-09-2024 at 08:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 08:10 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:

Edit: fwiw, I’m more than happy to concede NJ beating MA in terms of honky-tonk beaches. I just question it being a blow-out in terms of beaches in general considering P-Town, Nantucket, and the Vineyard (let alone places like Plum Island, Horseneck, Crane, Duxbury, or anywhere along the Cape Cod national seashore)
No it doesn’t. And that’s why the Cape and Islands full of people who drive more than 25 minutes to get there

Old 01-09-2024, 08:25 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No it doesn’t. And that’s why the Cape and Islands full of people who drive more than 25 minutes to get there
Agreed.

The fact that Massachusetts has 60 more miles of coastline doesn’t hurt, either.

Old 01-09-2024, 09:27 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Some of this is public access. My town has tons of beaches. Nobody from more than 25 miles away is able to get access. It’s either private or town residents & property owners. There’s one small state park but the beach is lousy. Massachusetts property law is you can only access below the high tide mark for fishing, fowling, or navigating. Above the high tide mark is private property. The Cape and Islands have lots of public access so people go there.

Old 01-10-2024, 04:10 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:

Yeah I get that, and I stated that overall the Mass coast is more scenic a few pages back, because it is. But if we're putting Hampton and Salisbury into the discussion, I'd say the appeal of those beach towns have declined over the years and one can do better at a beach town that actually has a real boardwalk with more intact amenities on the Jersey Shore.

You mentioned a boardwalk at Salisbury, there's never been an actual boardwalk there. Down in Jersey. I can't say Wildwood is my kind of beach town but when I visited a couple summers ago it reminded of what Salisbury Beach used to be like when I was a kid (I loved it back then), so there was some nostalgia there. But Wildwood is adjacent to Cape May and Stone Harbor which are both charming and upmarket and very scenic. I like the contrast between all the beach towns down there as they're all very different. I think that's the point that's being missed here is that the Jersey Shore has a better variety of beach towns to choose from with a wider range of amenities.

Asbury Park gave me Revere Beach vibes as they're both pretty urban. But I'd also venture to say Asbury has more to offer (more bars, restaurants, landmarks). Then within walking distance is Ocean Grove which is vastly different, a lot quieter, and kind of reminded me of Oak Bluffs.

For the outdoorsy nature minded crowd seeking more tranquility that's where I'd pick Mass and suggest places like the Aquinnah cliffs, Cape Cod National Seashore, Cuttyhunk Island, and Cape Ann.

Plum Island is beautiful, I've spent a lot of time at Sandy Point and the Reservation. But brrrrr.... that's some really cold water up there with very coarse granular in the sand. If given the choice between there or Island Beach State Park in NJ which is a similar long stretch of undeveloped beach on a barrier island, I'd choose IPSP or Long Beach Island. The water is warmer, the beach sand is fine granular. It makes a difference. The beach sand at IBSP and Stone Harbor is really nice to walk on for long distances.

It's not a blowout for either state in terms of coastal appeal as it depends on what one is looking for in a beach destination. But some posters seem to be convinced that it is a blowout for Mass when it's fairly obvious that they aren't very familiar with what the whole Jersey Shore is actually like. I think a big part of that is New Jersey can be difficult to get from most of New England with the hassle of having to get through CT and NYC metro enroute and they don't have to travel far to reach quality beach destinations. I've taken a liking to the Jersey Shore in recent years since its new to me and as beautiful as the New England coast is, the water anywhere north of Chatham is pretty freaking cold. And from where I travel from here in northern VT the Jersey Shore isn't that much further than southern New England.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-10-2024 at 04:32 AM..

Old 01-10-2024, 08:35 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
It's not a blowout for either state in terms of coastal appeal as it depends on what one is looking for in a beach destination. But some posters seem to be convinced that it is a blowout for Mass when it's fairly obvious that they aren't very familiar with what the whole Jersey Shore is actually like. I think a big part of that is New Jersey can be difficult to get from most of New England with the hassle of having to get through CT and NYC metro enroute and they don't have to travel far to reach quality beach destinations. I've taken a liking to the Jersey Shore in recent years since its new to me and as beautiful as the New England coast is, the water anywhere north of Chatham is pretty freaking cold. And from where I travel from here in northern VT the Jersey Shore isn't that much further than southern New England.
This sums up my feelings exactly.

New England is much better with natural preservation and quaint coastal villages. Everyone knows that. We all get it and see it. If super curated, reserved and cute is all I cared about, I'd also look only at New England coast as "superlative."

But the Jersey Shore is a whole other vibe that, to me, activates all of the senses in a truly stimulating way. It's just as iconic, but in a different model.

Are parts of it "tacky"? Sure, but that description is overblown. Many parts feel quite classy/upscale, especially these days. You don't get people shelling out multi-millions for beachfront homes in many parts without it feeling upscale.

There's so much more action packed into Jersey Shore beach towns, that they feel much more complete, vibrant and usable, if you will. That's the difference in a nutshell as someone with a lot of experience in both regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City