Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Massachusetts Vs New Jersey
MA 193 57.10%
NJ 145 42.90%
Voters: 338. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2022, 09:08 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
typo!
Yup, my bad. Just figured out those numbers were in order of quantity and that was a typo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2022, 09:09 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Very far from that. I wrote for a music blog for years and also hosted a radio show in college. I am very into hip hop, funk//boogie, rnb, and house. I just don't listen to other genres because I don't enjoy them. I'm not around people who listen to these people- not my world.
Yeah, but someone who's really into sports or music would at least be relatively knowledgeable about key players/influencers in sports or genres that they are not into. I know who Lewis Hamilton, Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon are without having watched motor racing one day in my life. I bet Stephen A. Smith knows who those guys are and I'm sure he's not big into racing. These are things you would be expected to know as someone who covers the world of sports.

People like Frank Sinatra, the Beatles, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Pele transcend their niches. Most people know who they are. It's unlikely to be really into music and not have heard of Sinatra or know much about him the same way it's unlikely to be really into sports and not have heard of Michael Jordan or know much about him other than the fact he was some guy who was really good at this thing called The Basket Ball.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:22 AM

21,677 posts, read 12,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but someone who's really into sports or music would at least be relatively knowledgeable about key players/influencers in sports or genres that they are not into. I know who Lewis Hamilton, Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon are without having watched motor racing one day in my life. I bet Stephen A. Smith knows who those guys are and I'm sure he's not big into racing. These are things you would be expected to know as someone who covers the world of sports.

People like Frank Sinatra, the Beatles, Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan and Pele transcend their niches. Most people know who they are. It's unlikely to be really into music and not have heard of Sinatra or know much about him the same way it's unlikely to be really into sports and not have heard of Michael Jordan or know much about him other than the fact he was some guy who was really good at this thing called The Basket Ball.
Uh... if your goal is to convince me I am not into music it's not working. I understand what you're saying but-no. I don't know all of the people and never will.

I know Dale Earnhardt and Frank Sinatra. Of course, I know Frank Sinatra- but I couldnt name you a song. Im not really the type of person who is going to listen just because they are or were popular, id need a soft intro. Unlike Springsteen I have an idea of what this voice sounds like. I know Bruce Springsteen makes music (for the last 2 years) but I don't know Frank Valli so I'm not into music- okay I guess. Its like asking me to know the leading goal scorer in hockey from 2002-2010. I dont know..Wayne Gretzky Jr lol? But i can tell you Kevin Martin and Corey Maggette were to heavily underrated West coast slashers at the 2 spot in the early to mid 2000s. Kevin Martin esp. with that release..

Like I could tell you a lot more about Dion and the Belmonts than I could, Bruce Springsteen ( I think i had him confused with Bruce Willis). I just don't like his type of music I find it too straightforward and boring really. That whole lane is like if I were to listen to other music that I don't typically- Id rather listen to A Guy Called Gerald, Miles Davis, or Nirvana...

But I spend a lot of time focused on hip hop. That where Ive shot my videos, blogs, etc etc. And if you didnt consider hip hop music then thatd be an issue.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:22 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,843,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I like the classics. I’ll be at Boston Symphony Hall listening to Beethoven and Shostakovich this week. I saw Bruce Springsteen years ago in Burlington. Is he still alive?
How droll. While Springsteen is alive today he will be, unlike Beethoven, long since forgotten 250 years after his birth.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I'm a young person who listens exclusively to hip hop. I dont know 'Boston'- i feel like I've heard of them but I couldn't like a name you a song or the era they're from. I also feel like I heard they weren't from Boston when i was like..12. I also think I got them confused with the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
I think Chris Rock coined the concept of being "Black Famous." This is when he said to Kevin Hart, "The difference between you and me is I'm famous. You're Black Famous." In other words, Kevin Hart was only famous among Black people, which at that time was true but really isn't true any longer. It was funny when he said it though.

I also think there's such a thing as being "White Famous." These are celebrities that White people will know and hardly any non-White people will know.

Examples of Black Famous celebrities are Yolanda Adams, Frankie Beverly, Leon, Larenz Tate, Issa Rae and Clifton Powell. 98%+ of Black people will know they are and less than 2% of non-Black people will know who they are. Tyler Perry would have been in this category 10 years ago but I think he's sort of broken out of that box a bit.

Neil Diamond might be a good example of "White Famous." Tons of White people know who he is, but the name likely wouldn't register in a Black barbershop or beauty salon.

Frank Sinatara is FAMOUS. Probably more famous than Springsteen, who is also FAMOUS. Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight' gets a ton of rotation at Black weddings.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I know Frank Sinatra- but I couldnt name you a song.
I'm sure you've heard this even if you didn't know it was Frank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0Vdb1RUCk

Same thing with BORN IN THE USA. It's just one of those songs that it's impossible to not hear if you grew up in the USA.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I think Chris Rock coined the concept of being "Black Famous." This is when he said to Kevin Hart, "The difference between you and me is I'm famous. You're Black Famous." In other words, Kevin Hart was only famous among Black people, which at that time was true but really isn't true any longer. It was funny when he said it though.

I also think there's such a thing as being "White Famous." These are celebrities that White people will know and hardly any non-White people will know.

Examples of Black Famous celebrities are Yolanda Adams, Frankie Beverly, Leon, Larenz Tate, Issa Rae and Clifton Powell. 98%+ of Black people will know they are and less than 2% of non-Black people will know who they are. Tyler Perry would have been in this category 10 years ago but I think he's sort of broken out of that box a bit.

Neil Diamond might be a good example of "White Famous." Tons of White people know who he is, but the name likely wouldn't register in a Black barbershop or beauty salon.

Frank Sinatara is FAMOUS. Probably more famous than Springsteen, who is also FAMOUS. Sinatra's "The Way You Look Tonight' gets a ton of rotation at Black weddings.
Man...the first song played at the black wedding I went to that got everyone up and dancing was Every Little Step I Take (it was in Rhode Island ..). I didn't hear The Way You Look Tonight. I heard more dancehall than Springsteen or Sinatra, bruv.

I just played the Way you Look Tonight I have never in my life heard this song. I see that title and I think of it more like "the closer i get to you...the more you make me feel." which isn't him at all lol.

When you said Born in the USA my mind went to "Iiiii just wanna rock and roll and night and party everyday.." But i looked it up- I have heard that Song before but usually like in the parking lot outside some football game or in the lobby of some tire shop lol. Not a song Ive heard anyone say the name of out loud.

Neil Diamond is a name I've heard and I'm assuming he makes music too. I fall into the paradigm you're talking about. Mad famous white people that I don't know. I just learned who Sarah Jessica Parker was. I thought she was Jeniffer Anniston. But I'm good on Essence Atkins vs Robin Givens vs the Mowry Sisters

Old 10-28-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you've heard this even if you didn't know it was Frank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK0Vdb1RUCk

Same thing with BORN IN THE USA. It's just one of those songs that it's impossible to not hear if you grew up in the USA.
the music sounds familiar. Like Iw as watching a documentary on Las Vegas in the 50s and 60s and I'm pretty sure this was in the background. The lyrics I've never heard. I'm more familiar with the fictional Frank Sinatra spin-off, Dino Spumoni... lol. But enough of this tangent. Back to the topic.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:19 AM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
the music sounds familiar. Like Iw as watching a documentary on Las Vegas in the 50s and 60s and I'm pretty sure this was in the background. The lyrics I've never heard. I'm more familiar with the fictional Frank Sinatra spin-off, Dino Spumoni... lol. But enough of this tangent. Back to the topic.
they play New York, New York literally everywhere here.

The Red Sox even played it when they beat the Yankees in 2018, which was hilarious.

Then you have this 2021 mashup which is brilliant, which was played everywhere last year. It was like #1 on Tiktok and Reels for a good 3-4 weeks:
https://soundcloud.com/rburg/empire-...new-york-intro

Old 10-28-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
they play New York, New York literally everywhere here.

The Red Sox even played it when they beat the Yankees in 2018, which was hilarious.

Then you have this 2021 mashup which is brilliant, which was played everywhere last year. It was like #1 on Tiktok and Reels for a good 3-4 weeks:
[soundcloud=400]159513770[/soundcloud]
Everywhere Im not I guess. That's assuming id watch the Red Sox. The only baseball I watch is when I actually go to an Orioles game.

I'm not being a contrarian I just feel like there are other "New York songs" kind of similar to this. I've def never heard this son though. It feels like it should be part of some Burlesque show. I never heard it on WODS back in the day so it doesn't register.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City