Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 07:05 PM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I think it's really neat, having the Eisenhower presidential library in that city. Except, it's not in that city, it's in Abilene. But I persistently think that it's in Wichita, because their airport is named after Eisenhower, so I conflate the two in my mind. Also, I remember when I was a kid, I saw a picture of a tornado hitting Wichita, and it stuck in my brain for some reason. Though, now that I think about it, it might have been a tornado in Wichita Falls, TX. So, apparently, my opinion of Wichita is based on other places. Maybe I ought to go there sometime and see it for myself, so I can form a real opinion about it.

Oh, what the heck. Abilene, KS.
I've been there, and I've visited the Eisenhower Presidential Library and Boyhood Home there twice — my grandparents had friends who lived in the town.

It's also the end of the Chisholm Trail, the route Texas cattle ranchers followed to bring their herds to the railhead in the 1870s. From Abilene, the cows would head to slaughter in Kansas City or Chicago by rail.

It's a pleasant enough town in the part of Kansas that really is flat and featureless. But aside from the Eisenhower Library and the Chisholm Trail legacy, it doesn't have that much to recommend it over similar smaller Kansas cities like Salina to Abilene's west or Hutchinson to its south.

Now to take you to the next sizable city to Abilene's east, in what most consider the most scenic region of the Sunflower State:

Junction City, Kan. I'll also throw in next-door Manhattan, home to Kansas State University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 07:50 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'll also throw in next-door Manhattan, home to Kansas State University.
Hometown of Cassandra Peterson, better known as Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

Spearfish, SD

Old 11-19-2021, 07:53 AM

3,889 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
Hometown of Cassandra Peterson, better known as Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

Spearfish, SD
Located near Mt. Rushmore, which I've always wanted to visit. Clovis NM.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:26 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Located near Mt. Rushmore, which I've always wanted to visit. Clovis NM.
An isolated military town, west of the Texas/New Mexico border. It's probably okay, but there's nothing that'd compel me to want to necessarily visit there.

Back to Kansas, and a small/midsize city with a well known space museum(Cosmosphere): Hutchinson, KS

Old 11-22-2021, 07:07 PM

899 posts, read 518,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
An isolated military town, west of the Texas/New Mexico border. It's probably okay, but there's nothing that'd compel me to want to necessarily visit there.

Back to Kansas, and a small/midsize city with a well known space museum(Cosmosphere): Hutchinson, KS
Not too far from Wichita, and it's not at all dangerous. Seems alright.

Stanhope, NJ

Old 11-23-2021, 09:10 AM

3,889 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Not too far from Wichita, and it's not at all dangerous. Seems alright.

Stanhope, NJ
Peaceful, rural community. Stillwater OK.

Old 11-23-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Peaceful, rural community. Stillwater OK.
The college town, where at one of its bars(Willie's Saloon, and yes still open to this day), Garth Brooks was a regular music performer there back in the 1980s. And where Oklahoma State University is located.

Rutland, VT

Old 11-24-2021, 10:27 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Rutland, VT
I liked it. It's surrounded by breathtaking and rugged mountain views, and has a bit more of a blue collar feel compared to some other Vermont towns. My wife and I made a brief pit stop at the Hannaford's there to get some last minute supplies prior to camping at Coolidge State Park.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

Old 11-24-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I liked it. It's surrounded by breathtaking and rugged mountain views, and has a bit more of a blue collar feel compared to some other Vermont towns. My wife and I made a brief pit stop at the Hannaford's there to get some last minute supplies prior to camping at Coolidge State Park.

Fort Walton Beach, Florida
I think there's a military base of some sort, there? I do like how it is close to Destin, and all this Panhandle beach town offers though.

Slightly crossing the state line, for the next one: Dothan, AL

Old 11-24-2021, 03:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
The college town, where at one of its bars(Willie's Saloon, and yes still open to this day), Garth Brooks was a regular music performer there back in the 1980s. And where Oklahoma State University is located.
Right, you are about Willies as pictured, snapped on 11/24/21. Since Garth Brooks left, it has changed looks by getting new siding, but still a dive bar, in my opinion.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City