Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Lifestyle is for you?
LA Lifestyle 26 45.61%
NY Lifestyle 31 54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:52 PM

318 posts, read 322,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Inquirer View Post
Nothing more than cable outlets LA is the one making the shows.
And the Chinese are making iPhones. Goooo China! Shame on you Cuppertino
Kid, TimeWarner, Hearst, News Corp. and Viacom are much more than "cable outlets" and most American TV networks are headquartered in New York.

Quote:
Who reads NY Times besides new yorkers, I am more happier with the Los Angeles Times.
That's what I meant by saying New Yorkers are much more sophisticated New York Times is a paper with a national circulation and it is read by sophisticated people around the world. You can easily get a copy in any large airport and city in the world. LA Times? What's that?

Quote:
Most advertising agencies are based in LA, ever wacthed a car comercial? Times square is not a agency. Broadway is irrelevant in todays world. Some big TV networks are based in LA: ABC, CW, NBC, E! Disney, Nick. Atlanta also owns some networks too.
Funny. Most creative agnecies are based in New York, according to wikipedia "Seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks have their headquarters in New York"
And no, NBC and ABC are not based in LA but New York

Quote:
The UN once again no real POWER!!!
Scream louder, it will give more credibility to you posts
I am not going to dispute this as it is off topic.. Hope you will learn about the world more some time

[/quote]Whatever your opinion. Not mines. [/quote]

These are not opinions but facts, New York is the largest media market in the US and it gets more than a fair share of media organizations headquartered in this city.

Media in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-17-2009, 02:52 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,024,870 times
LA. Much more laid-back, a greater variety of neighborhoods than New York (from high-rise, older apartment buildings to tract homes), nicer people, more consistent weather, numerous changes of scenery within 2 hours, just as diverse, less dense.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,188,314 times
It depends on where I am at in my life. If I was in my twenties, I would take NYC. But LA is very attractive for an older person. As you become older, NYC gets too hectic.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:56 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,380,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Los Angeles is more of a giant suburb
Yeah, and New York is a giant housing project...

Old 07-17-2009, 02:56 PM

74 posts, read 279,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Kid, TimeWarner, Hearst, News Corp. and Viacom are much more than "cable outlets" and most American TV networks are headquartered in New York.

That's what I meant by saying New Yorkers are much more sophisticated New York Times is a paper with a national circulation and it is read by sophisticated people around the world. You can easily get a copy in any large airport and city in the world. LA Times? What's that?

Funny. Most creative agnecies are based in New York, according to wikipedia "Seven of the world's top eight global advertising agency networks have their headquarters in New York"

I am not going to dispute this as it is off topic.. Hope you will learn about the world more some time

Whatever your opinion. Not mines. [/quote]

These are not opinions but facts, New York is the largest media market in the US and it gets more than a fair share of media organizations headquartered in this city.

Media in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/quote]

I Went to Hong Kong and only found copies of LA Times.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,318,997 times
New York is only as hectic as you want it to be.

You can live a very calm and quiet life if you want. Maybe not in Midtown, but certainly in Brooklyn or even the Upper West Side.

However, people who move to New York tend to unusually ambitious. They choose careers that require long hours. They attend a lot events, performances, etc. They live very full lives, but it self-imposed; they don't want to sit a home and chill out. Top lawyers and executives lead hectic live wherever they live. It's the nature of the job not geography.

Some people complain about the subway, but I don't think the subway is any more stressful that an LA freeway. And you get to read a book if you want.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,780,423 times
Quote:
Ever heard of Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Culver City, Hollywood they offer the BEST!!!!
New York is the fashion capital of the world; there are many things in New York that can not be found in Beverly Hills. New York is the nightlife capital of the world has the best restaurants in the United States.

Hollywood is a dump, Culver City is boring, Santa Monica is only good if you enjoy the beach, Beverly Hills is overrated and does not have stores/culture on the same level as Manhattan.

I've spent significant time in LA and in NY and NY is just a far more sophisticated city in regards the people and the culture. Not to say I hate LA because I would gladly take a home in Pacific Palisades but I would much rather take a home in the West Village or Tribeca.

Edit: New York = Manhattan and Los Angeles = Westside.

Last edited by Americanboy; 07-17-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM

804 posts, read 2,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
and the shows made in LA.

Quote:
Anyone with a brain cell knows the LA times. Oh please everyone across the world does not read the NY times. They read the paper there city provides. Do people in London read Ny times no they read there own newspaper along with the rest of the world.

Quote:
let's see some proof. NBC is based in LA ever heard of NBC studios in Burbank? ABC is also in LA along with E!, Disney, G4, and Nick.

Quote:
totally clueless.

[/quote]Whatever your opinion. Not mines. [/quote]

Media in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/quote]

I can easily pull up a media in LA wiki page. Please!!

Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM

804 posts, read 2,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
New York is the fashion capital of the world; there are many things in New York that cannot be found in Beverly Hills. New York is the nightlife capital of the world has the best restaurants in the United States.

Hollywood is a dump, Culver City is boring, Santa Monica is good if you like the beach, Beverly Hills is overrated and does not have stores/culture on the same level as Manhattan.

I've spent significant time in LA and in NY and NY is just a far more sophisticated city in regards the people and the culture.

Edit: When I say New York I mean Manhattan and when I mean LA I mean the Westside. I don't know what goes on in Astoria or Van Nuys.
Your so full of it. Hollywood is improving it's not even a dump anymore it's 2009 not 1990. You wouldn't like it if I said New York is filled with trash every where cause at one time it was so get over it. Beverly hills is overrated by what standard you probally never been to LA just making up things you here other people say about LA that are not true cause Beverly Hills is very upscale. Culver city is gorgeous and has a lot of great resturants, but of course you wouldn't know cause you never went. LA also has it's share in the fashion world. Ever heard of Americas Top Model yeah made in LA.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 PM

35 posts, read 66,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yeah, and New York is a giant housing project...
Los Angeles= oversized El Barrio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City