Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Lifestyle is for you?
LA Lifestyle 26 45.61%
NY Lifestyle 31 54.39%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Pretty evasive...I don't think YOU know the labels.
Tom Ford, Comme des Garcons, Yohji Yamamoto, Rick Owens for starters?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-17-2009 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: rude and insulting

Old 07-17-2009, 05:18 PM

59 posts, read 86,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I'm sorry...that question wasn't posed to you.

...but I get that New York "all about me", the he11 with everyone else who isn't a NY'er attitude.
I don't care if the question was posed to me or not. This is a forum, the purpose of forums is to quote people to debate topics. My point is that living in LA near those beaches does not benefit me because I do not like beaches. I prefer pools and water parks. So, the only thing that I was doing is staying on topic of this thread, which is about lifestyle preferences comparing the two cities.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:20 PM

318 posts, read 321,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yes, it is. I'd expect Miami and Honolulu to easily beat it out, let alone Ibiza and the like. And Vegas easily beats it out for nightlife. You can hardly call it the undisputed nightlife capitol of the world. You may think it is, but like the poster you responded to who is obviously more reasonable than you said, that is debatable.
I don't agree. Both Ibiza and Las Vegas beat New York in certain types of entertainment but New York provides a truly wholistic experience from Metro Opera to Carnegie Hall, Blue Note, Webster Hall and the general club scene. New York provides in at the highest professional levels.

Every performer in the world would like to have a chance on Broadway or Carnegie Hall. Those venues are so famous they became institutions.

I think the problem with New York is that it is very unique American City, it's not bigger Chicago or Houston. It's unique. It's different. Due to large number of wealthy, well travelled residents (Even New York's mayor is a billionaire!) everything that New York offers is world class... You guys are trying to dispute this like this was not a known fact since New York became the number one city in the US and the largest media and entertianment market in the country.

Last edited by thefinalcut; 07-17-2009 at 05:32 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 05:27 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
I agree. You are totally clueless.
Yes, YOU are.

Quote:
New York Times is an accliamed, Pullitzer winning newspaper with global circulation while LA Times is a little local newspaper owned by Chicago Tribune and has only local circulation. Of course not everyone around the world reads New York Times, that's a hyperbole, but you can get it around the world. People do care what New York Times has to say.
Its hilarious that you would even opt to use the term "hyperbole" to describe what the other poster said about the NY Times, yet neglect to acknowledge to hyperbole you've used to describe the LA Times. Here's a clue for ya , from Wikipedia:

"The Los Angeles Times is the second-largest metropolitan newspaper in the United States and the fourth-most widely distributed newspaper in the United States.

The Times's most recent Pulitzer Prize was awarded in 2009. Reporters Bettina Boxall and Julie Cart won the Explanatory Reporting prize "for their fresh and painstaking exploration into the cost and effectiveness of attempts to combat the growing menace of wildfires across the western United States."

Previously it had won thirty-eight Pulitzers, including four in editorial cartooning, and one each in spot news reporting for the 1965 Watts Riots and the 1992 Los Angeles riots. In 2004, the paper won five prizes, which is the third-most by any paper in one year (behind The New York Times in 2002 (7) and The Washington Post in 2008 (6)).

Its interesting how often and how much you choose to talk about things you know nothing of.

The NY Times might be more reputable and have a larger circulation, but just like when you used to use your Euros1 ID before you got that one kicked off this site, your gross use of hyperbole undermines your own argument.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
What I dont understand is why people think NYC is only apartments and condos. There is actually much more of an option of living in very different housing in NYC than LA. You have a an even amount of houses and apartments as well to add in the mix, brownstones, townhouses, and lofts. Aswell as yards, parks, and beaches.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
What I dont understand is why people think NYC is only apartments and condos. There is actually much more of an option of living in very different housing in NYC than LA. You have a an even amount of houses and apartments as well to add in the mix, brownstones, townhouses, and lofts.
Because they're ignorant.

[quote] Large apartment complexes or high rise apartments are the single most common housing type in Los Angeles, accounting for 43.88% of the city's housing units.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

After apartments, it's townhomes. Most people in Los Angeles do not live in single family homes....and if they do they're shacks.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
I donot agree. Both Ibiza and Las Vegas beat New York in certain types of entertainment. New York provides a truly wholistic experience from Metro Opera to Carnegie Hall, Blue Note, Webster Hall and the general clubs scene. New York provide its and at the highest professional levels.

Every performer in the world would like to have a chance on Broadway or Carnegie Hall. Those venues are so famoud they became institutions.

I think the problem with New York is that it is very unique American City, it's not bigger Chicago or Houston. It's unique. Due to large number of wealthy, well travelled residents (Even New York's mayor is a billionaire!) everything that New York offers is world class... You guys are tyring to dispute this like this was not a known fact since New York became the number one city in the US and the largest media and entertianment market in the country.
I agree that it has some of the best nightlife offered in this country. What I don't agree with is some of you calling it the undisputed champion of the world in this category. Same goes with whenever you guys refer to it in the same way in just about any other category. It arguably has more strengths than any other single city in the US and most of the rest of the world. But that doesn't automatically make it the best at every single thing it does like several of you make it out to. And nightlife is one of them. I know many people who would argue that Miami or Vegas (as well as several other places) have better nightlife than NYC. If you want your opinion to be respected, then respect that of others.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 PM

318 posts, read 321,183 times
Quote:
Its hilarious that you would even opt to use the term "hyperbole" to describe what the other poster said about the NY Times, yet neglect to acknowledge to hyperbole you've used to describe the LA Times. Here's a clue for ya , from Wikipedia:

"The Los Angeles Times is the second-largest metropolitan newspaper in the United States and the fourth-most widely distributed newspaper in the United States.

The Times's most recent Pulitzer Prize was awarded in 2009. Reporters Bettina Boxall and Julie Cart won the Explanatory Reporting prize "for their fresh and painstaking exploration into the cost and effectiveness of attempts to combat the growing menace of wildfires across the western United States."

Previously it had won thirty-eight Pulitzers, including four in editorial cartooning, and one each in spot news reporting for the 1965 Watts Riots and the 1992 Los Angeles riots. In 2004, the paper won five prizes, which is the third-most by any paper in one year (behind The New York Times in 2002 (7) and The Washington Post in 2008 (6)).

Its interesting how often and how much you choose to talk about things you know nothing of.

The NY Times might be more reputable and have a larger circulation, but just like when you used to use your Euros1 ID before you got that one kicked off this site, your gross use of hyperbole undermines your own argument.
I have never used Euros1 ID, you are paranoid. As far as LA Times is concerned it was never on par with New York Times which has a huge international distribution. You can not only get NY Times in most newspaper stand in the US and most Starbucks but also abroad. Try getting LA Times in Boston or Berlin. Make a experiment walk into a large newstand in your city and ask for New York Times then go to Houston or Baltomore and ask for LA Times. Do you see a difference?

Old 07-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I agree that it has some of the best nightlife offered in this country. What I don't agree with is some of you calling it the undisputed champion of the world in this category. Same goes with whenever you guys refer to it in the same way in just about any other category. It arguably has more strengths than any other single city in the US and most of the rest of the world. But that doesn't automatically make it the best at every single thing it does like several of you make it out to. And nightlife is one of them. I know many people who would argue that Miami or Vegas (as well as several other places) have better nightlife than NYC. If you want your opinion to be respected, then respect that of others.
New York City has the best nightlife in the United States.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:37 PM

804 posts, read 2,402,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianoligarch View Post
Because they're ignorant.

Apartments are the most common form of housing in Los Angeles.
You just proved that you're ignorant.

Last edited by Hollywood Inquirer; 07-17-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.