Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If that's the case, I recommend some remedial English lessons.

Anyhow, I'll be the idiot that tries to answer the topic title.

California is the most talked about state because it is, by a large margin, the most populous and prosperous (by GSP/GDP) state. It also plays host to two of the largest and most influential metros in the region (the southland and the bay area as well as several smaller but still very large other ones) that are highly complementary with the lack of some industry or sector in one metro being made up for by its prominence in the other. In addition to these large and very different metros, there is also the very different lifestyles offered in the rest of the state. California is not just large, but varied (more so than any other state) due to it coastal location, north-south axis, and extreme topography. This accounts for the variety that California offers as well as several appealing natural backdrops.

It's also home to a lot of crazy bastards that make the news quite often.
I am getting my Master's degree, so I am way beyond that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:08 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,610,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Last time that I checked statistics shows otherwise
The 60 Most Important Cities in the World (http://ezinearticles.com/?The-60-Most-Important-Cities-in-the-World&id=925532 - broken link)

NYC is an Alpha city and is all the way at the top left along with London. This shows that the top cities of the world are NYC, and London
GAWC World Cities Ranking List
Well since were talking about states it makes more than enough sense that you would bring up an individual city.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,724,497 times
Quote:
It seems like there are a lot of New Yorkers and Floridians as well. As for Californians, norcal folk seem to outnumber Angelenos. Actually, it seems like there's a much smaller number of LA posters than would be expected (unless you make the argument that LA public schools are so shoddy that the kids never quite figure out how to use the interwebz).
I grew up in Northeast Los Angeles. I went to school at San Diego State. As far as CA goes, I met people from San Diego and the Bay Area. The Bay Area folk (they call it The City) were by far the most pompous...almost NY like...as in "we live in the best city blah blah blah." As if their perceived culture allowed them to be so conceited. The San Diegans were more low keyed but still had attitude towards Los Angeles. They all bagged on me to no end asking "how can you live there?" I decided to show them why and I took them to my folks place. On one Spring day, we hiked and fished (catching several Coastal Rainbow Trout within 30 minutes of my house), drove further up the mountains to the snow and then drove to Manhattan Beach and surfed in the afternoon / evening. On the way home from the beach, we drove by the mansions in Beverly Hills, Miracle Mile and through the crazies in Hollywood. They never bugged me again as their perception of Los Angeles changed from a short stretch of the 5 Fwy (The City of Commerce) to a place that offered so much more. Does it rival NYC? Who the &^%^# cares other than a few %#@#$% New Yorkers?

BTW, nothing but love to you and your Bronx boyz Uncle Vinnie!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,724,497 times
Quote:
It seems like there are a lot of New Yorkers and Floridians as well. As for Californians, norcal folk seem to outnumber Angelenos. Actually, it seems like there's a much smaller number of LA posters than would be expected (unless you make the argument that LA public schools are so shoddy that the kids never quite figure out how to use the interwebz).
I went to an LA City hi skool and I lerned to speek purdy gud!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:15 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I am getting my Master's degree, so I am way beyond that.
Congratulations! Don't take it personally, but you were not expressing "Everybody is arguing about California and New York. All I can say is that they are both great states and the best thing is that they are not located in the south" particularly well. It also didn't seem like you quite understood the idea of one entire state versus another since you went mostly on NYC versus LA when California has much more to offer outside of LA than New York has outside of NYC. You weren't effective at expressing that either so that's why others thought you completely misinterpreted what the thread was asking.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I went to an LA City hi skool and I lerned to speek purdy gud!
lol, i went to pubic skool in la to!

In all seriousness, LA deserves a lot more respect than it gets. It's not an endless suburbia, and it is not a soulless and superficial wasteland. I've got nothing against LA (though I'm halfway serious on the jab against its public schools--the city has really dropped the ball on this) as I was raised there, went to school there, and visit family and friends there often.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,706,499 times
Quote:
Congratulations! Don't take it personally, but you were not expressing "Everybody is arguing about California and New York. All I can say is that they are both great states and the best thing is that they are not located in the south" particularly well. It also didn't seem like you quite understood the idea of one entire state versus another since you went mostly on NYC versus LA when California has much more to offer outside of LA than New York has outside of NYC. You weren't effective at expressing that either so that's why others thought you completely misinterpreted what the thread was asking.
Oh lol ok so now everything is clarified, so we are good to go

Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM

34 posts, read 137,247 times
Has Cali ever lost to a state vs state thread yet on CD?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:27 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
The Bay Area folk (they call it The City) were by far the most pompous...almost NY like...as in "we live in the best city blah blah blah."
I mean really, can you blame us?

Old 07-27-2009, 05:48 PM

867 posts, read 2,141,323 times
CA has the most people its nearly twice the population of the second largest state TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City