Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,191 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting take on Calivornia vs Texas from the Brit's (The Economist) point of view:

California v Texas

I've lived in both places and I must say Cali has more to offer but I think Texas has been better run for years and is on the ascendence. I really do pray for Cali to get its act together if for no other reason than I still have beloved friends there and enjoy vacationing there and want the best for them. It's really in true crisis I'm afraid.

America's future

Jul 9th 2009
From The Economist print edition
An intriguing, much more equal rivalry out West. But both California and Texas can learn from each other

Removed by Moderator:
For legal copyright reasons, do NOT copy/paste articles from papers or magazines into posts here without the written permission of the author of that article. You may post a LINK to the online article but do not repost/copy it here.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 08-01-2009 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,834 times
Everyone needs to read the actual magazine as it has a lot more within its pages. It was quiet enlightening and for the most part was a "Hats off to Texas but don't get carried away because you are on the verge of falling just as hard."

Last edited by Maabus1999; 08-01-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 10:36 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
^Whatever.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
^What is with you saying this everywhere? We get it, I think everyone knows this country is in tough times.
I'm not a writer for The Economist so I'm not sure what you mean about writing this everywhere? I'm summing up exactly what the they said, not what I said.

Or are you pointing out me posting this is a problem? I am more then happy to politely discuss what they wrote inside the many, articles (was like 20 some odd pages for both states), the many pros and cons of both, and what the future holds for both states.

Look at the third to last paragraph in the article above for a summation of what those 20 pages were pointing out.

Last edited by Maabus1999; 08-01-2009 at 11:18 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
I rather live in California.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
I'm not a writer for The Economist so I'm not sure what you mean about writing this everywhere? I'm summing up exactly what the they said, not what I said.

Or are you pointing out me posting this is a problem? I am more then happy to politely discuss what they wrote inside the many, articles (was like 20 some odd pages for both states), the many pros and cons of both, and what the future holds for both states.
Yeah but posting the same idea in several threads...I think I get it. I just think all of these articles are leading places to get very carried away. I have always wondered if Texas could stray away from Cali's mess, but I realized that they are in two totally different positions. If Texas were to go down, I think it would be different from CA, that's all. Don't get upset, okay?

Now I've read this article before and I agree that Texas should be careful.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
As for right now Texas is on top and California has been dethroned. In the future that may change but Texas is the spot for right now.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Yeah but posting the same idea in several threads...I think I get it. I just think all of these articles are leading places to get very carried away. I have always wondered if Texas could stray away from Cali's mess, but I realized that they are in two totally different positions. If Texas were to go down, I think it would be different from CA, that's all. Don't get upset, okay?

Now I've read this article before and I agree that Texas should be careful.
Well I know the media has been getting carried away the past decade but not sure I would be say they are "leading places" to be carried away...yet. Every article is still an opinion based on facts. You can look at a fact in a good way or bad. Problem, is like most people in this country, they become partisan to one side or a not, and don't see what I describe as the "truth"

For example for your state of interest: "Texas on the Brink" is a very negatively spun numbers game while "Texas Ahead" is a very positvely spun numbers game, both with partisan twists. Where is the truth? Somewhere in the middle.

If you want to be successful, you have to be optimistic but not blindly enough not to see reality and adapt, and that is where people seem to have trouble these days, no matter where they live.

And yes, I will of course leave the "emotion" out of my posts to show that I'm not getting "upset" or "whatever." I love people

Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Heck yeah TX is the spot. I also adore CA. I'd rather live in TX and CA then 98% of these US states.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Heck yeah TX is the spot. I also adore CA. I'd rather live in TX and CA then 98% of these US states.
Why discount the other 48? Have you visited all of them? Understand the people? Worked and lived in each? I'd be interested to hear your direct reasons and opinions, and hopefully it isn't due to bandwagoning.

I myself have states I prefer but some have surprised me. North Carolina was a pleasant one for example ( I had serious reservations about it). New Mexico also wasn't too bad though I would probably not jump at going back due to isolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City