Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is doing better?
Pittsburg 27 37.50%
Philadelphia 45 62.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

What's interesting is that I believe that Pittsburgh has a higher percentage of people with a higher education degree than Philly. That surprised me when I heard that, but Pittsburgh has been embracing technology recently. So, who knew? http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/depart...educatedcities

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-31-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,681 times
That is very likely to be true. Pittsburgh has two great universities and several IT company branches. A city as large as Philly must have many blue collar workers. But those are off the point of doing well or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What's interesting is that I believe that Pittsburgh has a higher percentage of people with a higher education degree than Philly. I believe it is something like 39% to 25% for Philly. That surprised me when I heard that, but Pittsburgh has been embracing technology recently. So, who knew.....

Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
It seems like you have an anti-Philly bias as well. If Pittsburgh does so many things better than Philly, allegedly, why is the Philadelphia metro gaining population, and to be frank, viewed as much more appealing than the burgh to outsiders?
Or could it be Ex-NY'ers looking to remain close to NY, with out all the expenses.....

I never said "SO MANY THINGS" dont put words in my mouth.....This forum became overly bias toward Philly, I was just putting something in Perspective....

Again Popluation has nothing to do with it.....You guys base everything on Popluation as the end all that be all...Philadelphia popluation is not Booming either, the city popluation remains Stagnant....

Old 07-31-2009, 07:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Right. He just doesn't want to admit the fact. In this country, an old city industrial city losing population to the suburbs is not uncommon. However, Pittsburgh belongs to one of very few large metro areas that are losing population. This must be something. Besides, what they can provide here is just a bunch of pictures you can find in the nice areas of any city of similar size, in addition to the dry subjective arguments of course, without providing much evidence and figures, yet they aim to compete with much larger and denser cities for walkability, interesting neighborhoods, etc.

I agree. You mentioned Minneapolis, which I'm very familiar with...and in terms of activity, the 'Burgh photos didn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary in MPLS...or in many other major cities.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Or could it be Ex-NY'ers looking to remain close to NY, with out all the expenses.....

I never said "SO MANY THINGS" dont put words in my mouth.....This forum became overly bias toward Philly, I was just putting something in Perspective....

Again Popluation has nothing to do with it.....You guys base everything on Popluation as the end all that be all...Philadelphia popluation is not Booming either, the city popluation remains Stagnant....

I mean, it's def. not the end all be all, but even the Pittsburgh METRO is losing population

That communicates a pretty clear message to me...especially as the only other major metros to lose population include Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Rochester...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:14 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
I mean, it's def. not the end all be all, but even the Pittsburgh METRO is losing population

That communicates a pretty clear message to me...especially as the only other major metros to lose population include Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and Rochester...
I think Rochester slightly gained population. I could be wrong, but I get your point.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:

All it means is there's more deaths then births, and that makes sense in Pittsburgh situation, seeing as the Pittsburgh METRO has the 2nd highest elderly population in the nation.

and We're suppose to be compare Pittsburgh to Philadelphia....Not to Minneapolis, Not Cleveland, Not to Buffalo, Not to NY, Not Chicago....OK....How bout we stick to that.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,431,815 times
Philadelphia.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,710,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
If you call 1 cop getting killed every month instead of 3, getting better.....

Your problem is you've never been to Pittsburgh to servey, so how can you call my analysis flaud....I however have lived in Philadelphia for 3 long years....

and I know for a fact the neighborhoods you've listed DONT even compare to Pittsburgh some of them are borderline Ghettos.....South Side, Shadyside, Oakland, Bloomfield, Squirrel Hill, Regent Sq, Greenfield, the Strip, Lawerenceville, East Liberty, Friendship-Garfield, Mex War Streets. No Philly doesnt have this many thriving bustling communites.

Philly however does have a Ton of Ghettos...Just because Philly is bigger doesnt mean Pittsburgh cannot compete...Philly is Bigger the Boston, and Boston excels in alot of areas where Philly FAILS.

Sorry but I think youre being a Homer with a Bias.
How do you know whether I've been to Pittsburgh or not? Exactly you don't. I have been to Pittsurgh and it compares to cities such as Cincinnati, Minneapolis,etc. But its your opinion against mine. In the end Philadelphia is still PAs largest most prominent city.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:44 PM

115 posts, read 266,618 times
Philly might be gaining population because of it's location, but that doesn't make it a better city. I mean, it's right off of I-95, near the ocean, NYC, DC and other major East Coast cities. THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT BETTER.
Not everyone wants to live in a congested large urban area with a bunch of extreme liberals and dirty air, no mountains, fresh water lakes, steams and real outdoorsey stuff. And what guy drinks girly drinks?! Men in big cities such as DC, NYC and Philly! You'd never see that in Pittsburgh or other Midwestern cities, not as much at least. It's ashame how many of you "men" in these big cities are such metro-sexuals. Grow a pair, OK?
Quote:
It seems like you have an anti-Philly bias as well. If Pittsburgh does so many things better than Philly, allegedly, why is the Philadelphia metro gaining population, and to be frank, viewed as much more appealing than the burgh to outsiders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City