Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 10,152,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Interesting. I didn't know. If you read my post you'll see that I do not discount a city based on its skyline. The argument against Phoenix was for the skyline size according to its size. This was also before I knew about this public policy concerning the airport. Very good information to know.
The height restriction is kind of a bummer. If the airport had been located somewhere else, who knows what the downtown might look like, but its close proximity to downtown and other areas of the valley also makes the airport an asset. You win some, you lose some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Well, a passport is a WONDERFUL thing to have.
Yeah, but if I decided at the last minute to spend the weekend at the beach, that's going to be MUCH more convenient and easier to do here in Charlotte if I don't already have a passport. At any rate, I was just asking a question about the beach of preference for Phoenix residents; wasn't trying to get into an argument about it.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 PM

22 posts, read 61,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
If that's the case, then my bad. It got a little hard to follow through all the jibber jab back and forth.

As for my criteria: no it's not solely based on the beach and mountains. More so on the GREEN aspect you commented on. Even when it comes to moutnains, I prefer the tree filled east coast mountains over the dirt and rock based western mountains. Just my preference.

The Phoenix area is awfully nice though. And it obviously makes alot of people very happy. It's just not my taste. to each their own.
Thank you for saying which city you preferred without being a jerk about it. That's the whole problem with this site, people can't just say "I like Charlotte better because I like the climate (or whatever)." Instead they always have to say "I like Charlotte because i like the climate, and Phoenix is a hellhole only suitable for the lowest of society's scum."

Thanks for saying what you liked about Charlotte while not disparaging Phoenix. I personally really like Phoenix for a lot of reason, and I'd prefer to live here because its bigger and I like the west coast. I'm sure Charlotte is really nice and has all kinds of awesome things to do, and i'm not going to judge it because i've never been there.

but anyway, i just liked your post because you said what you had to say without arguing about everything. sorry for the rant.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
The height restriction is kind of a bummer. If the airport had been located somewhere else, who knows what the downtown might look like, but its close proximity to downtown and other areas of the valley also makes the airport an asset. You win some, you lose some.
Does that restriction include how many buildings can be built? With the height restriction, Phoenix could become like Vancouver and just have many 300 ft buildings. It could specialize in having a dense skyline. Phoenix really is the crown jewel of the southwest. And with cities like Salt Lake City, Albuequerque, and Denver, the four corners of the United States is a nice area. I kind of miss it some days. But Charlotte is my home.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 PM

101 posts, read 295,959 times
Smile Sure, go to Phoenix if you want to get KIDNAPPED!!!

YouTube - Phoenix, AZ - Kidnap Capital, USA

Just watch the Video it tells it all. Phoenix has a higher crime rate than even dangerous Los Angeles!! Phoenix is full of drug cartels and kidnappers. It is very similar to the kind of crime problems that Miami had in the 1980's.

There really is no discussion here. I assure you that the folks who still support Phoenix are from one of the FEW nicer Suburbs near to Phoenix.

Most of Phoenix is a HUGE! Ghetto where the battle has been lost for years. I mean it is game over and no comming back for much of Phoenix.
You won't be safe there, you may even be Kidnapped and held for up to $1,000,000 ransome.

I think that Phoenix is even worse than Colombia and even Africa when it comes to Kidnapping.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,307,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josehernandez017 View Post

Just watch the Video it tells it all. Phoenix has a higher crime rate than even dangerous Los Angeles!! Phoenix is full of drug cartels and kidnappers. It is very similar to the kind of crime problems that Miami had in the 1980's.

There really is no discussion here. I assure you that the folks who still support Phoenix are from one of the FEW nicer Suburbs near to Phoenix.

Most of Phoenix is a HUGE! Ghetto where the battle has been lost for years. I mean it is game over and no comming back for much of Phoenix.
You won't be safe there, you may even be Kidnapped and held for up to $1,000,000 ransome.

I think that Phoenix is even worse than Colombia and even Africa when it comes to Kidnapping.
Glad to see you have a positive perception of Colombia, and you even want to imply the crime rate for an entire continent. LOL! You do not know how seriously that comment could offend people.

Nevertheless, to stay on topic. I think is hard to judge Phoenix for its crime rate without having all the facts. Most crime occurs in similiar areas. So perhaps most of the crime is repeated crimes committed in the same region of the city. Some say that Charlotte is dangerous. I have been living here since '97 and besides some car break in my family hasn't experienced any crime. Most of it also has to do with making smart decisions. I'm glad you like Charlotte over Phoenix, but the insult is unncessary.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,464,510 times
Quote:
First of all, NOBODY!!!! in this thread knows Phoenix, AZ better than me.
Let me tell you that Charlotte is a WAAAAYY!!!! better place than Phoenix, Az. AZLIAM is talking about places like Scottsdale, Az which believe me the People in Scottsdale look WAY! down on Phoenix, Az. Folks will tell you all kinds of good thing about the FEW! nice upscale suburbs that are near to Phoenix, AZ but PHOENIX, AZ is a VERY!, VERY!, VERY!!! bad place to live. Yes it is hot there in the summer but that doesn't even begin to explain all of the problems with Phoenix, Az. Let me tell you that there are A LOT! of neighborhoods in Phoenix that would make you wonder how this could even be AMERICA. It is much more like a third world country.
Quote:

What, I thought you were all knowing about Phoenix. Surely if you knew the most about Phoenix on this board you would know why the kidnapping rate is so high...actually it even says why in the video...did you not pay attention?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
First of all, NOBODY!!!! in this thread knows Phoenix, AZ better than me.
Let me tell you that Charlotte is a WAAAAYY!!!! better place than Phoenix, Az. AZLIAM is talking about places like Scottsdale, Az which believe me the People in Scottsdale look WAY! down on Phoenix, Az. Folks will tell you all kinds of good thing about the FEW! nice upscale suburbs that are near to Phoenix, AZ but PHOENIX, AZ is a VERY!, VERY!, VERY!!! bad place to live. Yes it is hot there in the summer but that doesn't even begin to explain all of the problems with Phoenix, Az. Let me tell you that there are A LOT! of neighborhoods in Phoenix that would make you wonder how this could even be AMERICA. It is much more like a third world country.
Quote:

What, I thought you were all knowing about Phoenix. Surely if you knew the most about Phoenix on this board you would know why the kidnapping rate is so high...actually it even says why in the video...did you not pay attention?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times
Dang, that video might be the knock out punch for Phoenix.. I've never visited, but now I don't think I'll ever want too.. In many large american cities there are actually people outside, nobody would try a kidnapping in broad daylight in a normal large american city. True or fals?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Dang, that video might be the knock out punch for Phoenix.. I've never visited, but now I don't think I'll ever want too.. In many large american cities there are actually people outside, nobody would try a kidnapping in broad daylight in a normal large american city. True or fals?
False, unless you an Illegal immigrant trying to cross the boarder with a coyote you have no reason to fear. I really wish I could find some stats about kidnapping that doesn't take into account illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City