Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:26 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,807 times

Advertisements

You must be kidding. As somebody who is actually familiar with the stores, I can say that Charlotte doesn't compare with Phoenix and Scottsdale at all. The fact is, few places can compare with Phoenix and Phoenix is a solid top 10 in this area. Charlotte has no Barney's New York, no Saks Fifth Ave, no A|X, Bang & Olfusen, Betsey Johnson, Bottega Veneta, BOSS, Bvlgari, .....Note that for the brand name stores, I am only counting to letter B available in Fashion Square (not including Biltmore which has more selective stores) and there are so many and all these are famous stores. There are tons of others starting with letter C~Z and there are very few stores the other way around. Note that I am talking about exclusive brand name stores, not authorized retailers. No offense but people, sometimes you don't feel the difference simply because you know nothing about the field. The fact that these don't affect your life doesn't necessarily apply to others. I agree that for some people shopping is not important, but to say that the shopping options of Phoenix and Charlotte are not much different is laughable for anyone who has touched a Vogue magazine (on which Charlotte has never appeared), or has frequented shopping malls (or websites) and counted the store differences. On this forum I have voted for Charlotte for several times but its shopping really is not something that can be compared with large cities like Phoenix or even metro Detroit.

If you don't care about it, just say you don't care about it so that people who care can go to some other reliable sources, but you shouldn't give wrong information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
So not much at all different, then. That's really the point I was trying to make. We've got pretty much every shopping store you mentioned.

Last edited by fashionguy; 08-05-2009 at 04:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:53 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,356,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
You must be kidding. As somebody who is actually familiar with the stores, I can say that Charlotte doesn't compare with Phoenix and Scottsdale at all.
This is very true, however, you are not very familiar with just how quickly Charlotte is growing in retail options. You do realize that Bang and Olufsen is coming to Charlotte's uptown next door to a Ritz Carlton hotel. You do realize that Bloomingdale's has been long rumored to be a tenant at the ground floor of the soon to open Duke Energy Center. To my knowledge, there is not a Bloomingdale's in Arizona. Correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that Charlotte is NOT on Phoenix's level when it comes to highend retail, however you act as though Charlotte is some poor third rate cow town that is not even making efforts to catch up. WRONG!!! Even Donald Trump is interested in either building or buying real estate here in Charlotte. You seriously need to actually check up on what is going on in Charlotte before you post. Many of these highend retailers that you have mentioned are either already here or planning Charlotte for their next expansion. Phoenix is already big. Charlotte is one of those cities "on the verge". The retail gap between Charlotte and Phoenix will close over the next 5 to 10 years (it will certainly not widen).

BTW, the fact that the West Elm location in Charlotte is walking distance from uptown and the one in Arizona is in Scottsdale is proof that Charlotte will be a MUCH different type of city than Phoenix. Charlotte is certainly more downtown focused.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,807 times
Many new stores are opening in Phoenix too. I only compare what they have right now, which I believe is a fair comparison. Phoenix has this whole Biltmore development where many many stores have been rumored to come. When you see Charlotte's potential growth in this field, you can't ignore the growth of other places. What's more, a rumor is a rumor. Unless something is listed on the website of the retailer, you can't rely on that especially in this economic situation. And, you do realize that I was only counting from letter A to letter B in the previous post and there are 26 letters a store name can start with?

I am not saying Charlotte is some poor third rate cow. You are just way too sensitive. All I am saying is it doesn't compare to Phoenix in this field, and that is it. It is not a shame because as I said few cities can compete with Phoenix in this field, especially one with Charlotte's size. If Charlotte can truly compete with Phoenix, it would be a well known shopping destination for its size which everybody in fashion would talk about, like Aspen or something. Truth is it is not and it won't be for a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This is very true, however, you are not very familiar with just how quickly Charlotte is growing in retail options. You do realize that Bang and Olufsen is coming to Charlotte's uptown next door to a Ritz Carlton hotel. You do realize that Bloomingdale's has been long rumored to be a tenant at the ground floor of the soon to open Duke Energy Center. To my knowledge, there is not a Bloomingdale's in Arizona. Correct me if I am wrong.

I understand that Charlotte is NOT on Phoenix's level when it comes to highend retail, however you act as though Charlotte is some poor third rate cow town that is not even making efforts to catch up. WRONG!!! Even Donald Trump is interested in either building or buying real estate here in Charlotte. You seriously need to actually check up on what is going on in Charlotte before you post. Many of these highend retailers that you have mentioned are either already here or planning Charlotte for their next expansion. Phoenix is already big. Charlotte is one of those cities "on the verge". The retail gap between Charlotte and Phoenix will close over the next 5 to 10 years (it will certainly not widen).

BTW, the fact that the West Elm location in Charlotte is walking distance from uptown and the one in Arizona is in Scottsdale is proof that Charlotte will be a MUCH different type of city than Phoenix. Charlotte is certainly more downtown focused.

Last edited by fashionguy; 08-05-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
If Charlotte can truly compete with Phoenix, it would be a well known shopping destination for its size which everybody in fashion would talk about, like Aspen or something. Truth is it is not and it won't be for a very long time.
The truth is you named a jewelry store (Bvlgari) that was just announced for metro Phoenix late last year. Sorry Charlie, but I am not a fool. Phoenix is at best 10 years ahead of Charlotte when it comes to retail. Given the fact that Charlotte is less than half of Phoenix's size, I would say a 10 year gap is waaaay too small.
Quote:
Phoenix and Charlotte are not much different is laughable for anyone who has touched a Vogue magazine (on which Charlotte has never appeared),
Spend and Save: The Sale of All Sales in Charlotte, North Carolina: Vogue's Daily Coverage of Fashion, Beauty, Parties and More on Style.com (http://www.style.com/vogue/voguedaily/2009/06/spend-and-save-the-sale-of-all-sales-in-charlotte-north-carolina/ - broken link)

Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 AM

8,634 posts, read 10,163,539 times
Quote:

Let's clarify a few things. No one is saying that Charlotte isn't making efforts to catch up; however, the Phoenix metro certainly has more options than Charlotte and that will continue. In addition, you may see Charlotte "closing the gap" between it and Phoenix, but the Phoenix metro (including Scottsdale) has experienced a large influx of internationally-recognized luxury brands, and is continuing to grow as one of the fastest-growing high-end retail markets in the United States.

Bang & Olufsen already has a Scottsdale location. Bloomingdales also committed to the new City North in Phoenix, but pulled out until the economy recovers. In reference to Donald Trump - Trump was already interested in buying and developing properties in Phoenix. Guess what? One development (in the Camelback Corridor not in downtown area) - the citizens didn't want the area to grow too rapidly, bring more traffic, mar mountain views in the upscale neighborhood, and tax the area's overburden water system. Citizens wanted an 86-foot limit in that area - Trump wanted 150 feet. That project was canceled in 2005. He also had plans to renovate the Arizona Center in downtown Phoenix. That never went anywhere. He'll be back again at some point.

Phoenix and Scottsdale are two completely different animals. While Scottsdale remains the shopping destination in the metro (primarily due to its vacation destination status), Phoenix is making strides to improve its downtown and there's been much improvement in the last 2-3 years with new construction. With the new H&M coming to Scottsdale, there's now talk of trying to lure another to CityScape in downtown Phoenix.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,376,427 times
Quote:
You do realize that Bloomingdale's has been long rumored to be a tenant at the ground floor of the soon to open Duke Energy Center. To my knowledge, there is not a Bloomingdale's in Arizona. Correct me if I am wrong.

I just phoned a friend that's a buyer for Bloomie's.

I'm not going to tell you what their reaction was to this rumor, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

As I stated earlier, I like both places and could live in either one. That being said, Phoenix/Scottsdale/The Valley are on an entirely different level for shopping. Spend some time in either place, and it is very obvious.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 AM

^^^^LOL LOL LOL!!!

Your above post sounds EXACTLY like Charlotte's story. Trump pulled out of Charlotte then recently returned. Bloomingdale's is waiting to see what the economy is gonna do before moving forward here. H&M is coming to uptown Charlotte near the new Ritz Carlton and the new Bang and Olufsen. If you were trying to convince me that Phoenix is moving and shaking faster than Charlotte with your last post, you have failed my friend. Try again ROTFLMAO!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 AM

749 posts, read 1,317,957 times
Phoenix has better shopping, point settled. next topic.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,376,427 times
Quote:
^^^^LOL LOL LOL!!!

Your above post sounds EXACTLY like Charlotte's story. Trump pulled out of Charlotte then recently returned. Bloomingdale's is waiting to see what the economy is gonna do before moving forward here. H&M is coming to uptown Charlotte near the new Ritz Carlton and the new Bang and Olufsen. If you were trying to convince me that Phoenix is moving and shaking faster than Charlotte with your last post, you have failed my friend. Try again ROTFLMAO!!!
After this snarky response, I am now tempted to actually tell you what my friend said......but I don't have all afternoon to argue with you.

Let me put it this way. It will be YEARS before Charlotte lures ANY upscale full-fledged Department Store to Uptown. How's that?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I just phoned a friend that's a buyer for Bloomie's.

I'm not going to tell you what their reaction was to this rumor, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

As I stated earlier, I like both places and could live in either one. That being said, Phoenix/Scottsdale/The Valley are on an entirely different level for shopping. Spend some time in either place, and it is very obvious.
Trust me, it was a SERIOUS rumor for that building before Wachovia was bought out. The renderings of the building even had the Bloomindale's store in it. As of now, it is probably a "pipe dream", however I only mentioned it to show that Charlotte is now being looked at when it comes to retail in a way that few folks may realize. That's all.

Let's face it, what would your "friend" have said if someone told him (10 years ago) that Charlotte would have a Neiman Marcus, a Ritz Carlton, light rail, a downtown NBA arena, etc? Your "friend" probably would have wet his pants from laughing so hard. In all honesty, I would have too. However, I have come to respect what is going on here in Charlotte. So have guys like Donald Trump. For the last time, Phoenix is certainly ahead of Charlotte when it comes to retail. That is a fact that I have never denied. However, I see Charlotte closing that gap in the next 5 to 10 years (which is sad being that Charlotte is less than half of Phoenix's size). That is how I feel so take it for what it is worth. It is just one man's opinion, nothing more nothing less.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 08-05-2009 at 12:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City