Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,221,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ S/He's talking about different MSA's that might be combining into CSA's.

Not stating that those will be the largest in the country.

I'm not too sure about some of them though. There's still roughly 55 miles of open land between northeast San Antonio and southwest Austin. There are a few small cities in between, but it's a little bit of a stretch.

Same with Bakersfield and the LA CSA. You've got a good 80 miles of rugged land between Bakersfield and the northern fringe of the LA area.

Mimia and West Palm Beach is already an MSA, so that one is done.

Chicago and Milwaukee are built up between the cities near the lake, but the commuting patterns haven't overlapped enough yet. They've had to increase train service between Milwaukee and Chicago the past few years though as ridership as surged. It's now getting up near 800,000 boardings per year, with 7 round-trips daily.

With Bakersfield, I completely agree with you. However, with San Antonio and Austin, they'll probably have combined. I drove the I-35 stretch this year, and people aren't kidding when they say that the two metro areas are moving very close together. With New Braunfels, San Marcos, and Kyle between the southern suburbs of Austin and the northern suburbs of San Antonio, you might have 25 miles of undeveloped land BROKEN into three or four sections between the two cities, with the largest undeveloped span being no more than nine or ten miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:52 PM

528 posts, read 1,186,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Your not the first person to say that. What is the conflict between the two parts of the state over?
there are many factors, and i think there was a thoroughly discussed thread about it here on C-D.

Basically it boils down to this (i think): NYC is a polar opposite from upstate: it is very urban, a point of immigration, flourishing economy, and they feel like the taxes they pay just gets thrown around in Albany, who has an upstate bent, and their progressive political leaning contrasts with the less urban areas upstate.

Meanwhile, upstate NY is full of medium-sized cities who are stagnant, and agriculture. They feel like NYC weighs upstate down with unneccessary taxes, laws, and left-wing politics. If upstate NY were its own state, I have heard the argument that it would be much more like North carolina - a more balanced budget, lower taxes, friendlier to businesses, and their medium-sized cities may have a chance to grow again.

As a former resident of both areas, I can see arguments for both, but I think that Upstate would definitely benefit more if it were able to separate from Downstate.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 AM

638 posts, read 930,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
there are many factors, and i think there was a thoroughly discussed thread about it here on C-D.

Basically it boils down to this (i think): NYC is a polar opposite from upstate: it is very urban, a point of immigration, flourishing economy, and they feel like the taxes they pay just gets thrown around in Albany, who has an upstate bent, and their progressive political leaning contrasts with the less urban areas upstate.

Meanwhile, upstate NY is full of medium-sized cities who are stagnant, and agriculture. They feel like NYC weighs upstate down with unneccessary taxes, laws, and left-wing politics. If upstate NY were its own state, I have heard the argument that it would be much more like North carolina - a more balanced budget, lower taxes, friendlier to businesses, and their medium-sized cities may have a chance to grow again.

As a former resident of both areas, I can see arguments for both, but I think that Upstate would definitely benefit more if it were able to separate from Downstate.
Numerous studies have been released as of late that state the exact opposite premise of your post. Many economists have shown that for states with one large urban area surrounded by a sea of low density small city, small town, and agricultural communities that the large urban areas receive far less back from taxes paid than the smaller city areas. This means that if states such as Illinois, Indiana, New York, and Georgia lost their respective cities that they would be far worse off. The studies have stemmed from the animosity that has develop over the years between the urban and rural.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:03 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCJoe View Post
Numerous studies have been released as of late that state the exact opposite premise of your post. Many economists have shown that for states with one large urban area surrounded by a sea of low density small city, small town, and agricultural communities that the large urban areas receive far less back from taxes paid than the smaller city areas. This means that if states such as Illinois, Indiana, New York, and Georgia lost their respective cities that they would be far worse off. The studies have stemmed from the animosity that has develop over the years between the urban and rural.

I agree - this happens in PA as well, Phildelphia and the sorrounding 4 counties (Deleware, Chester, Montgomery, Bucks) all pay for much else in the state

Old 08-06-2010, 06:06 PM

377 posts, read 1,083,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana1 View Post
Predict what Cities will be in the top 10 in 2010 and 2020.
Population from 2008 Here: List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My prediction: 2010

New York City-8,463, 710
Los Angeles-4,023,080
Chicago-2,849,114
Houston-2,400,210
Phoenix-1,574,924
Philadelphia-1,449,935
Dallas-1,310,,579
San Antonio-1,300,480
San Diego-1,289329
San Jose-1,006,892

I will be back with the other half later
Most of the list is out of picture.

NYC That is right on the money . 8.5m

Los Angeles That is also okay 4.2m

Chicago 2.9m

Houston 2.4m

Phoenix That is 1.6m people, not 1.55m

Philadelphia Too low. 1.5m

Dallas Too high in rankings, but correct number. 1.3m (9th)

San Antonio Too low in rankings, wrong population 1.45m (7th)

San Diego Too low in rankings, wrong population 1.4m (8th)

San Jose A little higher . 1.05m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City