Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Arizona: Sedona

California: a suburb of San Diego

Florida: Tampa or Fort Myers

Hawaii: anywhere

New Jersey: nowhere

Oregon: the Portland area

Texas: the DFW area
Wow, that's pretty much what I said except for Austin instead of Dallas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 11:03 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Arizona (Scottsdale)

California (San Francisco)

Florida (Fort Lauderdale)

Hawaii (Honolulu)

New Jersey (Elizabeth)

Oregon (Portland)

Texas (Austin)

Old 09-14-2009, 12:27 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
For the most part the larger cities.

Arizona - Phoenix (Tempe)

California - Los Angeles or San Diego (West Hollywood) (not sure where in San Diego I guess close to the nightlife but not in the thick of it)

Florida - Tampa or Clearwater. Pensacola is nice too.

Hawaii - Honolulu or maybe the north shore of Oahu

New Jersey - Cherry Hill, Mt Laurel or Haddonfield just really like south jersey.

Oregon - Portland (close to downtown but not in downtown)

Texas - Dallas (again near downtown but not actually in downtown)

Old 09-14-2009, 12:46 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
How is the weather in Destin in the winter? I have a chance to relocate their with my job but I want warm weather and heard it gets very cold there in the winter. Can anybody tell me what the lows are and how long they last? I also have a job lined up in Port Charlotte and know the weather there is nice year round but also alot farther from my family. Help me make a decision.
Destin is not that bad but it's not Hawaii or anything you'll still need a light jacket but if you're from a colder climate you'll still enjoy it and maybe glad there's still a hint of winter. Port Charlotte is much warmer in the winter. I'd go with Destin spring and summer all year round would be weird for me.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Strange, that with Texas many people say "only Austin" or "Austin, that's easy" .... while not making similar comments on the cities chosen for other states.
Right. These are the people that, instead of doing any research, make an opinion based on hearsay. Someone tells them that Austin is the most liberal place in Texas, so they automatically figure, "Hey! This must be the Texas city closest to my hometown," only to arrive to find quite the unpleasant surprise.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Right. These are the people that, instead of doing any research, make an opinion based on hearsay. Someone tells them that Austin is the most liberal place in Texas, so they automatically figure, "Hey! This must be the Texas city closest to my hometown," only to arrive to find quite the unpleasant surprise.
This is true.

Most of those who are saying Austin are not really informed. The stereotype is that it is "a liberal mecca in the midst of the intolerant religious right" when nothing could be further than the truth

The truth is that Austin is a much smaller Houston or Dallas (which is great because I love Houston and Dallas) with much to do, much sprawl and the same hot summers

Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM

366 posts, read 1,373,739 times
Arizona- Phoenix

California-LA suburbs

Florida- Orlando

Hawaii- Honolulu

New Jersey- Do I have to?

Oregon-Portland

Texas-Austin

Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
This is true.

Most of those who are saying Austin are not really informed. The stereotype is that it is "a liberal mecca in the midst of the intolerant religious right" when nothing could be further than the truth

The truth is that Austin is a much smaller Houston or Dallas (which is great because I love Houston and Dallas) with much to do, much sprawl and the same hot summers
And it's so funny that those who think Austin has to be the best city in the state are some of the same folks who complain about things like sprawl, lack of public trans and walkable neighborhoods, etc.

Last edited by MrMcCoySays; 09-14-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 PM

159 posts, read 461,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Destin is not that bad but it's not Hawaii or anything you'll still need a light jacket but if you're from a colder climate you'll still enjoy it and maybe glad there's still a hint of winter. Port Charlotte is much warmer in the winter. I'd go with Destin spring and summer all year round would be weird for me.
So do you live in Destin? Light jackets aren't bad but I was told that it gets into the teens is that right? I absolutely hate cold weather with a passion but the job there would be better for me. I don't mind jackets but don't want to wear a coat and don't care if I ever see ice again. We had an ice storm last year that kept us in the house for days!! Is there much there for kids to do besides the beach? My kids rollerskate on a speed team and would like to keep them in that if possible.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow girl View Post
So do you live in Destin? Light jackets aren't bad but I was told that it gets into the teens is that right? I absolutely hate cold weather with a passion but the job there would be better for me. I don't mind jackets but don't want to wear a coat and don't care if I ever see ice again. We had an ice storm last year that kept us in the house for days!! Is there much there for kids to do besides the beach? My kids rollerskate on a speed team and would like to keep them in that if possible.
Central Florida is much milder than the panhandle. The only thing you would have to worry about in central Florida is a few days that have frosty mornings. Winter precipitation is very rare in that part of the state, but also quite uncommon in the panhandle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City