Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I know I already posted Copley Square earlier in the thread...but Liberty Square is beautiful too...I think it's a perfect example of Boston's old-world style which you can see throughout the city. I can't think of many other cities in the country, if any, where you'll see a street alignment like this with a pretty monument hanging in the center.
beautiful pics!

I'll give you another one:

Philadelphia's current site of Holocaust Memorial, and future site of a glass-enclosed (similar to the Apple Cube store in Manhattan) Holocaust Memorial/Center for Human Rights.

http://www.chgs.umn.edu/museum/memor...iladelphiaMem/

Center for Human Rights Education, Philadelphia Buildings, Architects, Images, Center for Human Rights Education Philadelphia, American Architecture

http://www.e-architect.co.uk/philade..._m280110_1.jpg

the triangle on the upper right side of the image below:

Last edited by a75206; 04-20-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 05:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,338 times
But really, after Rittenhouse Square, the other most famous public square in Philadelphia would have to be Washington Square or even the Independence Mall...well, that might be the most famous, actually! hehe

Many elegant office and residential buildings surround the serene Washington Square:

http://www.pbase.com/jaybird287/image/110909836.jpg

The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from Revolutionary War (and a flame is always lit there) is inside the Square:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/5...970839.jpg?v=0

Independence Mall graphic:

http://www.nmajh.org/future_nmajh/renderings/mall.html

Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM

353 posts, read 816,201 times
Lincoln Road/ Ocean Drive, Miami

it's widely known all over the globe

Last edited by Native17; 04-20-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I suppose Chicago's most popular/well known spot would be Millennium Park. While not a traditional "square" since it only has buildings on 3 sides - it certainly functions as one for thousands of lunchtime office workers as well as visitors.

Flickr Photo Download: Millennium Park (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fontgab/2591317949/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 10:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
I just found this very interesting as an observation of a living space - we need more spaces like this in the country; a quote for what it is worth and the place is of no consequence but somthing about this description struck me and observation struck me

"I went there with my Landscape Architecture studio last semester. My professor challenged me to pick this square for a sketch study and report to him "why it works." I was quite pleased with my discoveries. I captured a picture of two families sharing a bench: one young and one old. At one end of the bench there was a baby in a stroller and at the other end was a grandmother in a wheelchair. This image alone gave several reasons in addition to the location and adjacent land use, the range of seating options, it’s beauty and comfort."

Old 04-20-2010, 11:56 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
The half of Downtown Houston with Discovery Green and the convention center has transformed quite a bit even since 2007, and is continuing to do so. Barring some significant downturn in the economy, I could see it turning into quite a vibrant place (yes, after dark even) over the next decade. There's a lot of ground to cover yet, but huge strides are being made.

The "no curbside parking," "no street level retail" assertions in that article are a crock. Not even an exaggeration, but a total crock. There are parking meters along the curbs. You can park there. Free after 6 and on weekends in most cases. People do walk. Retail on the street is slowly increasing. People are even coming around to the idea of living downtown, which would further help the development of everything. The CBD (generally west of Main and south of, say, Texas) dies after quitting time, but that happens everywhere. Even NYC.

As for the Waterwall - it's not a public square. Never was. Hell, it's on private property. It's a fountain in an office park. One of the more recognizable fountains in an office park anywhere, but it is what it is. If I have to get a permit to do photography there, it's not a public square. It's not a square at all in the sense we're talking about.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The CBD (generally west of Main and south of, say, Texas) dies after quitting time, but that happens everywhere. Even NYC.

disagree; many cities do not die after quitting time; i just spent my evening at dinner and drinks right in the my cities CBD (and walked home) and there is a ton of people out and about. But am glad to see more vibrancy - generally i believe residents and restaurants are the biggest catalyst to making a place more vibrant

Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
disagree; many cities do not die after quitting time; i just spent my evening at dinner and drinks right in the my cities CBD (and walked home) and there is a ton of people out and about. But am glad to see more vibrancy - generally i believe residents and restaurants are the biggest catalyst to making a place more vibrant
I didn't say the whole city dies, or their whole downtown (which is not always interchangable with the business/financial district) - just the clusters of office towers.

You're right though, you need residents and people who do something besides work there to gain that proper urban vibrancy.

We're digressing a bit, btw. Squares it is.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I didn't say the whole city dies, or their whole downtown (which is not always interchangable with the business/financial district) - just the clusters of office towers.

You're right though, you need residents and people who do something besides work there to gain that proper urban vibrancy.

We're digressing a bit, btw. Squares it is.

I do understand your point and actually the wall st area can get a little quiet in the evening.

It's hip to be square

Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 AM

289 posts, read 1,025,058 times
Thankyou to Tmac for having taken Copley and LIberty squares from me, but you forgot one and I will post that one.

Post Office square, Its not big and not ALOT of people go by it but it is nice looking with the buildings around it.

Post Office Square, Boston MA:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City