Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Metro Areas are best basketball hotbeds in America??
NY/NJ 78 32.91%
Chicago 72 30.38%
DC/Bmore 27 11.39%
Atlanta 25 10.55%
SF/Oak Bay area 14 5.91%
Houston 21 8.86%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 10:05 PM

259 posts, read 543,257 times

Advertisements

Two really great beasts doesn't make a city number one for being a hotspot so lets be real...nyc and chi produce nba talent consistently..and lets not even mention how competitive the high school teams are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:08 PM

259 posts, read 543,257 times
And to be honest i'll put an average team in chicago against mostly any other regions high school lmao

Old 04-04-2010, 08:13 AM

648 posts, read 1,618,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Oh sorry. Well, then why isn't Los Angeles listed since it produces many great NBA greats as well as NCAA future stars?

Here's what I found per Google as the cities that have produced the most NBA players:

Chicago, IL 17
Los Angeles, CA 14
Philadelphia, PA 10
Dallas, TX 9
Houston, TX 7
Seattle, WA 7
Portland, OR 6
New York, NY 6
Milwaukee, WI 5
Atlanta, GA 5

I don't know how accurate this list is but it appears reasonable.
I find it hard to believe that Portland, Oregon produces the same numbers as New York City. I find it hard to believe, also, that Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, and Seattle produce more than New York City.

I do not know what this list is, but if it is what I think it is then oh my Lord.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree that I can't for the life of me, and not being a homer, how could Philly not be in the discussion, could be argued #1 but anyone who knows anything about basketball wiuld never say not a top 5?

So a write in "Philadelphia" and as a basketball fan not a Philadelphian
I agree, the selection of cities on this list seems very strange. Philadelphia is easily a top three city for basketball. According to google, the cites which produced the most NBA players:

1. New York City 170---Population: 8.3 Million
2. Chicago 101---Population: 2.8 Million
3. Philadelphia, PA 75---Population: 1.5 Million

List of cities producing the most NBA players

Also, in the NCAA tournament this year there were 12 coaches from Philly and dozens of players from the Philly area. No other city comes close.

Philly Connection in the River City -- NCAABB FanHouse

Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree, the selection of cities on this list seems very strange. Philadelphia is easily a top three city for basketball. According to google, the cites which produced the most NBA players:

List of cities producing the most NBA players

Also, in the NCAA tournament this year there were 12 coaches from Philly and dozens of players from the Philly area. No other city comes close.

Per Capita per million:

NYC 20.5
Chicago 36.1
Philly 50.0

Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Oh sorry. Well, then why isn't Los Angeles listed since it produces many great NBA greats as well as NCAA future stars?

Here's what I found per Google as the cities that have produced the most NBA players:

Chicago, IL 17
Los Angeles, CA 14
Philadelphia, PA 10
Dallas, TX 9
Houston, TX 7
Seattle, WA 7
Portland, OR 6
New York, NY 6
Milwaukee, WI 5
Atlanta, GA 5

I don't know how accurate this list is but it appears reasonable.
Great dig. I was in Seattle and they were telling me how they have a lot of good ballers and I waived it off, but they, as well as their neighbors in Portland, are holding their weight against much larger cities.

I know Atlanta has a lot of good talent. Josh Smith and Dwight Howard are 2 good examples I know of the top of my head.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Of all time its gotta be Philly that produced the best talent, Kobe and Wilt Chamberlin, You can't beat that. And for those who are counting Michael Jordan as being NY produced needs to slap themselves because Jordan didn't even pick up a basketball in Ny. He counts as North carolina
Good point lakers '10

Old 04-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

List of cities producing the most NBA playersShareef Abdur-Rahim

There is something wrong with that list... where is Josh Smith, Shareef Abdul-Rahim, Kenny Thomas, Al Thorton (its a stretch) or Louis Williams for Atlanta or Alston for NY... all active players not on the list. I think it's counting city only and not metro which really put a lot of cities at a disadvantage that are zoned diffrently. I think NY and CHi have historically been the hot zones, but now... For current talent I think the Seattle area has some of the best active players in the city center. Hotlanta is hot too, but its hard to decide where it ranks at this point, but I know its in the top 3.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
There is something wrong with that list... where is Josh Smith, Shareef Abdul-Rahim, Kenny Thomas, Al Thorton (its a stretch) or Louis Williams for Atlanta or Alston for NY... all active players not on the list. I think it's counting city only and not metro which really put a lot of cities at a disadvantage that are zoned diffrently. I think NY and CHi have historically been the hot zones, but now... For current talent I think the Seattle area has some of the best active players in the city center. Hotlanta is hot too, but its hard to decide where it ranks at this point, but I know its in the top 3.

I think the talent in the greater Atlanta area is fantastic, but honestly NY, Chicago, and Philly, even DC and LA would exceed Atlanta not a slight to Atlanta because there is really some great talent there. But honestly NY, Chicago, and Philly are top three and this isn't a homer call, this is a basketball call; today still true - historically without question

And yes I agree I also found many players missing from that list not sure if there is a better one

Old 04-04-2010, 02:53 PM

Naw... it isn't a homer thing because I say that at this point I see Seattle as having the best talent among active players and as possibly being a hotbed.

Now if you are talking about preceding decades yeah NY and Chi would've def. been the hotbeds, and you can give Philly a nod with Wilt alone.

The current hotbed is a diffrent story. It doesn't do any good to mention retired players from years ago. A lot of things have changed that would alter the scope of where the talent is. I like to play basketball in every city that I visit. Seattle gave me the most competition... and I see the list and the city with the most active players is Seattle and they are all really good... compared to other cities. According to that... I would say that Seattle got it right now. just my educated opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City