Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Metro Areas are best basketball hotbeds in America??
NY/NJ 78 32.91%
Chicago 72 30.38%
DC/Bmore 27 11.39%
Atlanta 25 10.55%
SF/Oak Bay area 14 5.91%
Houston 21 8.86%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:56 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,007 times

Advertisements

How is LA not on this list?

James Harden
Russell Westbrook
Paul George
Jrue Holiday
Paul Pierce
Andre Miller
Kyle Korver
Demar Derozan
Brandon Jennings
Nick Young
Darren Collison
Trevor Ariza
Klay Thompson
Kwhai Lenhord
Brook Lopez
Robin Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Amir Johnson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Agreed. Chicago has been clearly producing the best and most talent currently
Right, not historically, but recently Chicago has been ahead by a good bit. I remember looking at the top 10 college players going into last season, and something like 5 were from IL (and 3 more were from border states).

Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 AM

213 posts, read 278,044 times
Seattle is really up there. Since 1998 the Seattle/Western Washington area has produced 22 NBA Draft picks (tied for 7th) and the player-per-capita is the 7th highest.

Here's a few examples:

Aaron brooks
Jamal Crawford
Spencer Hawes
Nate Robinson
Brandon Roy
Jason Terry
Doug Christie
Rodney Stuckey
Martell Webster
Marcus Williams
Marvin Williams
Jon Brockman
Isiah Thomas (the current one)
Tony Wroten
Avery Bradley
Luke Ridnour
Peyton Siva

Old 08-25-2015, 11:29 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
What The NBA Would Look Like If Every Player Played For His Hometown Team - Business Insider

By far the most populated city in the States, New York clearly trails Los Angeles when it comes to producing NBA talent nowadays. There's only 12 players born in NYC in the league right now, compared to 20 Angelenos. Chicago and Philadelphia come right behind New York with nine and eight players, respectively.
Where are NBA players born? | HoopsHype

Old 08-25-2015, 11:45 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
I think Anthony Davis is the best Chicago area product in the NBA now. He's legit, a real franchise player, in my personal opinion. I also firmly consider Anthony Davis a top 3 player in the NBA, along with Kevin Durant and LeBron James.

Dwyane Wade, Anthony Davis, guys like these are the ones Chicagoans should be proud of. Not over-paid and broken Derrick Rose, in my opinion.

Old 08-25-2015, 11:51 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Rose is an MVP - he's legit. Just too many injuries, and a seeming lack of passion to get back on the court. Great talent, though, if he could stay healthy he'd for sure be a top 5 player in the league. He's not a very likeable guy. Then again, I hate the Bulls...

Old 08-25-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Rose is an MVP - he's legit. Just too many injuries, and a seeming lack of passion to get back on the court. Great talent, though, if he could stay healthy he'd for sure be a top 5 player in the league. He's not very likeable, though.
I think the injuries and the constant repitition of those injuries have zapped his skills away from him. He's had to surgically repair both of his knees up to this point, if memory serves.

Last season was ugly for Rose. He spent the entire first half of the season shooting like 19% from the 3-point range, he picked it up by seasons end but there were legit times when he would fall, it would give reason for panic.

Though to be honest, its been 4 years since Derrick Rose's MVP season, I agree he was a talent in the NBA for sure. With the emergence of Jimmy Butler, I hope he comes back more as a traditional play-making point guard this season, with Gasol and Butler, he doesn't need to be doing all the shooting (not to mention Mirotic, Dunleavy, do they still have Brooks?).

Old 08-25-2015, 12:07 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Chicago's the only place to make us sweat but I'll still say DMV is right there with anyone and that's before even including Baltimore. NY and LA due their size of course should be considered as well.
NY is a has-been when it comes to producing the most and best current NBA talent. Currently, LA is a close number 2 after Chicago because Westbrook, Harden, Klay Thompson, Kevin Love etc are all great players. Philly has some notable current NBA players such as Dion Waiters, Kyle Lowry, the Morris Twins etc but most of those players only range from good to average and they pale in comparison to the current Chicago and LA talent. However, Philly has produced the most NBA players per capita. Philly has also produced two of the top 10 players of all time with Wilt and Kobe. The top 3 basketball cities of all time is Philly, NYC and Chicago. After those 3, Detroit would be fourth and probably LA 5th and the DMV 6th. Currently speaking, I will definitely give a lot of clout to the DMV just for producing KD alone. Durant has the potential to finish as one of the top 5 players of all time if he stays healthy and wins 2 or 3 championships.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Currently speaking, I will definitely give a lot of clout to the DMV just for producing KD alone. Durant has the potential to finish as one of the top 5 players of all time if he stays healthy and wins 2 or 3 championships.
I agree.

I personally like him more than LeBron James as it is (and like Anthony Davis more too than LeBron James too).

Kevin is like 6'10" and he can literally shoot from anywhere on the court, which is why he's one of the only 6 players in NBA history to go into the 50-40-90 Club. Only other active player that has is Dirk Nowitzki.

Durant can easily shoot above 50% from the field, above 40% from 3-point range, and above 90% from the free throw line - he's done it, I think his MVP season. His length and skill set make his game one of the best ones to have as he ages.

Now all he needs to do is win. With Scott Brooks finally gone and replaced with Billy Donovan, they have a legit chance to make that into a reality in the upcoming seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50%E2%...2%80%9390_club

Old 08-25-2015, 12:39 PM

574 posts, read 688,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
How is LA not on this list?

James Harden
Russell Westbrook
Paul George
Jrue Holiday
Paul Pierce
Andre Miller
Kyle Korver
Demar Derozan
Brandon Jennings
Nick Young
Darren Collison
Trevor Ariza
Klay Thompson
Kwhai Lenhord
Brook Lopez
Robin Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Amir Johnson
Nice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City