Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus vs. Newport News
Columbus 17 37.78%
Newport News 28 62.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:26 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it, but I like to have fun and both of these cities are pretty lame. Who cares about either one of them...they're both pretty dead at night..Columbus is dead after 3am and the whole HR area closes down at 2am...

I was really shocked when I came to HR and realized that the nightlife is basically over at 2am for such a big area.

I'm sure many people in Columbus go to Atlanta to party and people in HR probably does to DC.

I certainly hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
I hate to say it, but I like to have fun and both of these cities are pretty lame. Who cares about either one of them...they're both pretty dead at night..Columbus is dead after 3am and the whole HR area closes down at 2am...

I was really shocked when I came to HR and realized that the nightlife is basically over at 2am for such a big area.

I'm sure many people in Columbus go to Atlanta to party and people in HR probably does to DC.

I certainly hope so.
That is so true. I was also stationed at Ft. Benning in Columbus and the nightlife wasn't the best, but it was ok for a city it's size...I definitely went to Atlanta alot though

I have family in Hampton and I find Newport News boring. In fact, the whole HR area is really lacking in the nightlife department. They don't get many concerts and it seemed slow for all of those cities to be connected together. I was shocked!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo244u View Post
That is so true. I was also stationed at Ft. Benning in Columbus and the nightlife wasn't the best, but it was ok for a city it's size...I definitely went to Atlanta alot though

I have family in Hampton and I find Newport News boring. In fact, the whole HR area is really lacking in the nightlife department. They don't get many concerts and it seemed slow for all of those cities to be connected together. I was shocked!!!
How could you expect Newport News to be jumpin when it's the 4th biggest city in the metro? Hampton and Newport News are two of the lamest cities in HR. Norfolk and Virginia Beach have pretty decent nightlife if you ask me.. Of course it could be better, but it's not lame.. They do stop serving alcohol at 2 though. If you haven't been to downtown Norfolk at night then dont' talk about the nightlife in HR. There's also tons and tons of concerts. You must not know.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
How could you expect Newport News to be jumpin when it's the 4th biggest city in the metro? Hampton and Newport News are two of the lamest cities in HR. Norfolk and Virginia Beach have pretty decent nightlife if you ask me.. Of course it could be better, but it's not lame.. They do stop serving alcohol at 2 though. If you haven't been to downtown Norfolk at night then dont' talk about the nightlife in HR. There's also tons and tons of concerts. You must not know.
I have been downtown Norfolk....Granby St to be exact and the nightlife there isn't that great. You live in an area of 1.7 million people and compared to other metros with a million plus people, the nightlife could be better.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:37 PM

98 posts, read 229,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
LOL....I don't know if you ever been to Columbus, but it's not my type of city...it's too spreaded out and Newport News reminded me of a surburban type of city too, especially by the mall. I wouldn't choose either to live in, but I would choose VA Beach or Savannah over both....

Anywhere would be better than Columbus as it has gone to the dogs.
Poverty and crime/drugs have overtaken it.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post

I certainly hope so.
Not the fairest statement coming from someone in Houston. Columbus is not that big what do you expect after 3 am? Most cities are dead after 3 am. Actually what a lot of people will do is go to the Dennys after the bars close.

I really like what they've done with downtown as far as nigthlife goes. It definitely clears out after 3 am, but it's pretty lively on a Friday or Saturday night. I remember when downtown was a no man's land at night so I'm really proud of Columbus for improving it.

The main problem at least for me was the lack of professional jobs outside of education and healthcare. Going to college for so many years (I was a part time commuter) only to make minimum wage at the mall is not cool. Hopefully BRAC will change that. At the same time I'm definitely homesick. My high school reunion is next week and I hate that I'm going to miss it. So definitely looking forward to Christmas.

Yes going to Atlanta for big city nightlife is pretty common. Back in the day I'd go up to the A about once a month. A lot of times I would bump into folks from Columbus. I've met a few folks from Newport News and company partying in DC. Although you're more likely to see folks from Richmond or Baltimore since it's possible to come up DC for the evening and drive right back since they're closer.

At the end of the day Columbus is a good place to grow up. It isn't the place to be if you like a fast paced life but people are friendly and it's more affordable than most places. Ironically enough a week after I moved to VA I got a call for a job interview for a civilian job at Fort Benning paying a very decent salary. I had applied for that job a year before. Gotta love the government.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
I think by large and far Newport News wins as far as urbanity is concerned. However, I think Columbus wins as far as having a more corporate atmosphere. Newport News has been historically shipyard based and is blue collar town. Columbus may even win as far as having a better skyline. I go with Newport News because it is in the Hampton Roads metro, which IMO, is the most unique metro in the nation.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,341,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I think by large and far Newport News wins as far as urbanity is concerned. However, I think Columbus wins as far as having a more corporate atmosphere. Newport News has been historically shipyard based and is blue collar town. Columbus may even win as far as having a better skyline. I go with Newport News because it is in the Hampton Roads metro, which IMO, is the most unique metro in the nation.
I agree with tthis 100%. I still don't see the reason we are comparing the central city in a metro to the 4th largest city in a metro, lol.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:57 PM

They are getting compared because city. vs. city, they're comparable. They're similar in demographics, each has one mall, each city has some rough areas downtown, both cities are consolidated with the county and both have a strong military presence.

The metro areas of the two cities was never in the OP's reasoning of asking this question.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 PM

119 posts, read 298,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Columbus has a great corporate atmosphere. It is home to AFLAC, TSYS (world's largest credit card processor), Synovus, Carmike Cinemas, Char-Broil, and numerous other large regional companies like Blue Cross Blue Shield, NCR Corporation, Cessna, HK, Lance, PCI, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City