Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:28 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Philly is so close to gravy-training yall want to jump on board soon.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Both are great cities in their own right; but each certainly has a different attitude about them with some posters. .
CLEARLY!! You Philly posters have done an EXTREMELY effective job of exposing how ugly and ignorant (not to mention underhanded and passive-aggressive) the prevalent attitude is of a significant chunk of what COULD otherwise be a decent city.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgear View Post
Sf is all about new money, rich kids bringing in millions and billions, Philly just breathes old school class. Feels like a city that has and will stand the test of time. Both cities offer different strokes for different folks.
I think there would be a lot of old money places as well in Bay Area.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I'm sure there are but Philadelphia was established years before San Francisco and also served as the capitol when our nation was founded. The "main line" has a large concentration of wealth.

Philadelphia Main Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-07-2010, 03:16 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Well, the city of San Francisco itself is brimming with many old money(along with lots of new money too) neighborhoods.

Goes back to the gold rush and the fortunes that were made not only from gold, but during that period, people became super rich also from banking, trade and commerce, railroads and so on.

Outside of the city, towns I would say have a reputation for being 'old money' are Hillsborough, Burlingame, Atherton, Woodside, Portola Valley, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Ross, Belvedere, Piedmont and Orinda.

Anyway, there are plenty of other wealthy places but the towns I mention are the ones with the reputation for old money.

SF has less history as a US territory than Phildelphia, but SFs relationship with wealth and privilege goes way back to before California even became a state.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Too close to call. Both beautiful cities that have great vibes.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:24 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, the city of San Francisco itself is brimming with many old money(along with lots of new money too) neighborhoods.

Goes back to the gold rush and the fortunes that were made not only from gold, but during that period, people became super rich also from banking, trade and commerce, railroads and so on.

Outside of the city, towns I would say have a reputation for being 'old money' are Hillsborough, Burlingame, Atherton, Woodside, Portola Valley, Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Ross, Belvedere, Piedmont and Orinda.

Anyway, there are plenty of other wealthy places but the towns I mention are the ones with the reputation for old money.

SF has less history as a US territory than Phildelphia, but SFs relationship with wealth and privilege goes way back to before California even became a state.
That's exactly the way I was thinking about it too. I didn't mean is it more than Philadelphia or not.

But San Francisco was the first major city in the western United States, it used to be top 10 for population before Chicago was even started to grow fast & while Los Angeles was still an infant. LOL!

I would have assumed it would be the logical place in the west for old money.

The railroads, the gold rush, the migration, all of those things the wealth and the excavation for wealth that led to the population boom of the west, the Oregon Trail and other flights to the west similar to that.

I never once thought of it as being entirely new money.

San Jose I think of as new money for the "Bay Area" but not really as much for San Francisco, in which I know it would have a very high percentage of new money too.

And in all technicality, the Bear Flag Republic was established and was it not San Jose that was the capital for that temporary country? I know that it was once the capital for California, but I do not know the exact details for the Bear Flag Republic to be exact.

The railroads also brought way to Asian immigration to San Francisco. Wealth and prosperity became the notion for the American dream and the completion of Manifest Destiny all thanks to San Francisco.

Credible history is all there, for both San Francisco and Philadelphia. I did not doubt even for a second that either one lacked in the old money department.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,160,255 times
Sf has old money but its not the same old money that you will find in philly and the east coast. Out there you will find people with direct ties to founding fathers and royal families. Sf's money is a bit younger than that, but it is there, largely in the places montcliar pointed out.

The thing is with silicon valley and the dot com boom, the venture capital, and contemporary california raunch culture even at the upper income levels, means that the new money folks are a lot more prevelant and a lot more gaudy.

So for example you could be driving one of the places montclair lists, and you could be waiting to park your car in a parking lot, only to get cut off by a psycho soccer mom, in a yukon denali, with a 12 inch monster truck lift , limo tinted windows, and 25 inch rims. They get out the car and they have the short skirt, flip flops, complete with tattoos and toddler with mo-hawk. Something like this is not uncommon in every metro california, where as in philly and out east, you dont really see things like this.

If you came to the bay before the dot com boom the culture would strike you as a lot more refined then, than it is now.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:34 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Sf has old money but its not the same old money that you will find in philly and the east coast. Out there you will find people with direct ties to founding fathers and royal families. Sf's money is a bit younger than that, but it is there, largely in the places montcliar pointed out.

The thing is with silicon valley and the dot com boom, the venture capital, and contemporary california raunch culture even at the upper income levels, means that the new money folks are a lot more prevelant and a lot more gaudy.

So for example you could be driving one of the places montclair lists, and you could be waiting to park your car in a parking lot, only to get cut off by a psycho soccer mom, in a yukon denali, with a 12 inch monster truck lift and 25 inch rims. They get out the car and they have the short skirt, flip flops, complete with tattoos and toddler with mo-hawk. Something like this is not uncommon in every metro california, where as in philly and out east, you dont really see things like this.

If you came to the bay before the dot com boom the culture would strike you as a lot more refined then, than it is now.
I tend to agree. It was more refined back then.

Nowadays, the old families who are still very much around take a back seat to all the techies and other newer money folks as far as coverage of social events and gossip.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:14 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times

YouTube - ‪Virtual Philadelphia Great Video‬‎

YouTube - ‪Buildings of Philadelphia‬‎

YouTube - ‪American Commerce Center‬‎
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City