Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or JC
Oakland, CA 37 38.95%
Jersey City, NJ 58 61.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 12:32 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
LOL! I may just start responding to every San Francisco/LA/Seattle/San Diego vs. wherever thread with “West Coast feel” and leave it at that. What, isn’t that enough?
LOL I figured I might as well give it a try and see if it contributes as much to the conversation as it did from the DC drone who just keeps mindlessly repeating it. Pretty insightful huh? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
oakland = oakland raiders, GS warriors, oakland A's
jersey city = ?
It's literally right next to the largest city in the country... what do you expect? Why have a whole other sports team a half mile away?
and to your other comments..

What's closer? NYC or JC? The friggen statue is within NJ borders.

Just because it's official NY property doesn't mean that it's significance doesn't show on the jersey side, it actually shows better!
Even Liberty state park in JERSEY CITY has ferry's for tourist who go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty... so I think it's a very symbolic symbol for JC as much as it is NYC.
Even Ellis Island which holds huge historic importance is NJ's just as much NY's (see the location Ellis Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Immigrants traveled mostly into NYC from Ellis Island, but there was the good amount of people who routed into NJ for other reasons as well.
does Oakland have this kind of history?
Jersey City is plentiful of even more statues and street art throughout the city that can all pile up to near the significance of the statue of liberty, but no one knows that right?

How about we bring up crime in Oakland. It's FAR more dangerous than Jersey City, and even Newark has lower crime than Oakland and people are terrified of Newark.

Oakland's murder count per 100K is 30 while Jersey City is 8... If your trying point out JC's flaws, why don't we try pointing out both of the cities flaws... And what about the gangs in Oakland... I guess that can be a sports team as well since there pretty popular.

Jersey City is very underrated.. I don't expect a lot of people to know about the overshadowed city besides natives of the area, but it's not a city of nothing.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
You mean Rappin 4 Tay? And he is not from Oakland, he is from San Francisco.
Don't bother. He can't spell, he can't identify where anyone's from, he can't tell Oakland from Sac (LMAO), and he can't get over his complex so he compensates by yelling out whatever Eastern city is being discussed at the time over whatever Western city its being compared to. Dude can't even decipher proper statistics or back up anything he claims. Just enjoy his posts for their comedic quality like I do. The funniest part is that you can often predict what he'll say before he even posts lol.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:38 PM

246 posts, read 758,775 times
Um, Oakland is only a couple of miles from San Francisco, which also has its own football and baseball team. So thats a bad argument...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
It's literally right next to the largest city in the country... what do you expect? Why have a whole other sports team a half mile away?
and to your other comments..

What's closer? NYC or JC? The friggen statue is within NJ borders.

Just because it's official NY property doesn't mean that it's significance doesn't show on the jersey side, it actually shows better!
Even Liberty state park in JERSEY CITY has ferry's for tourist who go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty... so I think it's a very symbolic symbol for JC as much as it is NYC.
Even Ellis Island which holds huge historic importance is NJ's just as much NY's (see the location Ellis Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Immigrants traveled mostly into NYC from Ellis Island, but there was the good amount of people who routed into NJ for other reasons as well.
does Oakland have this kind of history?
Jersey City is plentiful of even more statues and street art throughout the city that can all pile up to near the significance of the statue of liberty, but no one knows that right?

How about we bring up crime in Oakland. It's FAR more dangerous than Jersey City, and even Newark has lower crime than Oakland and people are terrified of Newark.

Oakland's murder count per 100K is 30 while Jersey City is 8... If your trying point out JC's flaws, why don't we try pointing out both of the cities flaws... And what about the gangs in Oakland... I guess that can be a sports team as well since there pretty popular.

Jersey City is very underrated.. I don't expect a lot of people to know about the overshadowed city besides natives of the area, but it's not a city of nothing.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Um, Oakland is only a couple of miles from San Francisco,
In what dream world is San Francisco comparable to New York City?lol

Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 32,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
JC is hella boring and dirty! Nobody and nobody!

That's b/c you're an imbecile.

The imbecile stated in another thread that Im from Oakland, yet Im less than 20 miles from downtown DC.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM

246 posts, read 758,775 times
No, the point is he was saying "why would JC have sports teams when its right next to a much bigger city?" So I responded by saying Oakland is only a couple of miles from San Francisco and yet both have sports teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post

Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
How about we bring up crime in Oakland. It's FAR more dangerous than Jersey City
Well, Oakland has a much higher crime rate-that's for sure.

But most of us don't feel crime as much as you might think. Not to say that its not a big deal, but our lives are pretty much normal, despite what numbers suggest.

Oakland is also a larger city which means we have good areas and not so good areas.

Quote:
Oakland's murder count per 100K is 30 while Jersey City is 8.
True, but the Oakland Hills has 100,000 people and they only had 2 murders last year-none so far this year.

Quote:
Jersey City is very underrated.
Just like Oakland is belittled and maligned by its more glamorous neighbor, NJ is too. That's another huge similarity between JC and Oakland.

btw, I really liked your pics. The prices for nice condos there are really good. Also the brownstones that I saw online at realtor.com were very nice looking-wish we had an area with brownstones just like those-of course, I'd need a 4-car garage too-LOL

Old 08-26-2009, 12:43 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
No, the point is he was saying "why would JC have sports teams when its right next to a much bigger city?" So I responded by saying Oakland is only a couple of miles from San Francisco and yet both have sports teams.
In case you did not know Giants Stadium is in NJ.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Actually many surveys put SF above NYC as far as a place to visit. Living next to SF is an awesome thing. Just like living next to NYC is awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City