Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oakland or JC
Oakland, CA 37 38.95%
Jersey City, NJ 58 61.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times

Advertisements

C'mon people, this seems like a good idea for a thread, lets not turn it into a tit-for-tat.

Personally, I would choose JC over Oakland. And NO this doesn't have anything to do with myself, being from the Metro.

JC is starting to emerge as a great city on its own right. It is no longer the city that is next to Manhattan, but a city that is coming into its own right.

JC, has some great historic nabes, a waterfront that is being transformed into a condos and skycrapers, and being linked to NYC, by PATH and the Holland, doesn't hurt.

Oakland seems like a wondeful city, and being a major player in the Bay Area is great! I would love to live there, too. But, JC, seems more like my kind of town.

BTW.

We ALL know, that the SF Giants, really belongs to Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Jman, your back peddle is better than Deon in his prime! LLS

BTW: Add the Washington Mystics to that list. I think they are a professional team too!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Mystics lol

Old 08-27-2009, 09:52 AM

199 posts, read 220,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
C'mon people, this seems like a good idea for a thread, lets not turn it into a tit-for-tat.

Personally, I would choose JC over Oakland. And NO this doesn't have anything to do with myself, being from the Metro.

JC is starting to emerge as a great city on its own right. It is no longer the city that is next to Manhattan, but a city that is coming into its own right.

JC, has some great historic nabes, a waterfront that is being transformed into a condos and skycrapers, and being linked to NYC, by PATH and the Holland, doesn't hurt.

Oakland seems like a wondeful city, and being a major player in the Bay Area is great! I would love to live there, too. But, JC, seems more like my kind of town.

BTW.

We ALL know, that the SF Giants, really belongs to Harlem.
lol@ anything jersey related ever not being in the shadow of nyc and i suppose u still consider the L.A dodgers a brooklyn team.. hahahaha

Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Either way........................
San Jose is not Oakland, right?
sj and oak are like 35 miles apart, in the same area, in the same state
what ur doing is trying to piggy back off a completely different state's teams, that's a no no

Old 08-27-2009, 10:03 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
what ur doing is trying to piggy back off a completely different state's teams, that's a no no
d00d - NJ is like 5 miles from NYC. lol. how far is Oakland from SF or SJ? like BP said, you guys have no clue about the area.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
The sports teams issue is getting a bit stale on this thread, but all of the NY/NJ area teams (with the exception of the Islanders) play within 10 or 12 miles of Jersey City. They are the local teams.

The NY Jets & NY Giants play in East Rutherford, NJ (farther from NYC than JC).
The NJ Devils play 5 miles from JC in Newark (10 mins from JC on PATH trains)
The NJ Nets play 10 miles from JC in E. Rutherford
The NY Red Bulls play in E Rutherford now, but will be in Harrison (4 miles away from JC, 5 mins on PATH trains) soon.
The NY Knicks and NY Rangers play in Midtown Manhattan, less than 4 miles from Jersey City.
The NY Yankees and NY Mets are a schlep to go see though. It takes me an hour to get to Citi Field on 3 trains. Two trains to Yankee Stadium, but also a long trip.

Whether NY or NJ is in the team name is irrelevant. Whether the teams play in NJ or NY they're here in the vicinity, their fans are here on both sides of the Hudson. Reading this board you'd think the Hudson were an ocean.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:10 AM

thanks for the driving distances between each place i dont really care if new jersey was between brooklyn and queens, they are 2 DIFFERENT STATES

but i hear that's a common thing for people for new jersey to do, with their inferiority complexes and all, being so irrelevant living next to a behemoth city like nyc. im sure you feel that you're just an annex to their city.. very barnacle like qualities. hahahahhahaha
"the jets play in new jersey" awww

Old 08-27-2009, 10:27 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
d00d - NJ is like 5 miles from NYC. lol. how far is Oakland from SF or SJ? like BP said, you guys have no clue about the area.
Actually, NJ is about 1 mile from NYC.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
thanks for the driving distances between each place i dont really care if new jersey was between brooklyn and queens, they are 2 DIFFERENT STATES

but i hear that's a common thing for people for new jersey to do, with their inferiority complexes and all, being so irrelevant living next to a behemoth city like nyc. im sure you feel that you're just an annex to their city.. very barnacle like qualities. hahahahhahaha
"the jets play in new jersey" awww
You really have no clue, nor do the people that you "heard things from". What does an invisible state border line matter, in reality?

Nobody in NJ has inferiority complexes to NY. We are all part of the metro area, and we all root for the same teams, etc. I know it's hard for you to understand, since CA is huge, and you don't "share" any cities with any other state. But here on the East Coast it's a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City