Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better?
Dallas-Fort Worth 109 47.81%
Minn-St Paul 119 52.19%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:00 PM

72 posts, read 60,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
like, 8 or 9 months
This may be difficult for some but I prefer sticking with facts and not exaggerate the actual numbers. If you are interested (and yes it is still hot) here is the real data from US Climate data for Dallas:

Average high in °F:
Jan-57
Feb-61
Mar-69
Apr-77
May-84
Jun-91
Jul-95
Aug-96
Sep-89
Oct-80
Nov-68
Dec-58
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:08 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Minneapolis-St. Paul, in a walk. Progressive area, still with affordable housing, corporate headquarters, major state university and medical centers, and a climate that still has four seasons. Dallas is 90+ , with humidity, for six months.....
That's a slight exaggeration. Dallas isn't overly humid and it isn't really in the 90's consistently for 6 months. A lot of people say Minneapolis is sub freezing for 6 months straight. Also not true.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:39 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Minneapolis-St. Paul. I moved out of Denton, TX last year. Now I like DFW, I made good memories and friends there but the Twin Cities is tops. DFW has way worse traffic, no scenery, too much suburban sprawl and is a lot more ghetto. Texas food is great, though. I much prefer Minnesota's climate, too. Winter isn't bad at all, its nice and cold with snow that sticks the whole season. The lakes and ponds freeze over and hockey is super popular. Minnesota's way more outdoorsy and there's so much nature spots in just the cities alone than in all of North Texas.

When I lived in DFW there was very few places to go outside. Like, no cool rivers, lakes or waterfalls. There's no lakes there, just "reservoirs."

Both places have nice people, but I like how northerners are less religious and more open in general. A southerner will pretend everything is all right even when its not, a northerner will be more frank with you. Also, people are so lax here about things like pot and alcohol. I've heard old lady customers openly tell me that they were gonna go home and smoke weed. I can't imagine one of those uptight old southern ladies telling me that lol. Also, its way more LGBT friendly here.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
When I lived in DFW there was very few places to go outside. Like, no cool rivers, lakes or waterfalls. There's no lakes there, just "reservoirs."
Reservoirs aren't exclusive to the DFW area. Minnesota may have 10,000 lakes but Texas has at least 1,000 lakes because of water storage needs.

Houston has the Gulf Coast in Galveston and lakes in the northern suburbs. (The Gulf can be described as bathtub water in the summer. The humidity feels terrible until you get in the water and cool off.) San Antonio and Austin have lakes in their Hill Country suburbs. But East Texas is home to the bulk of the reservoirs.

I know for a fact that Lake Conroe and Lake Houston, both north of Houston, are popular with boaters and fishing. There are many lakefront suburban homes now along both lakes.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Reservoirs aren't exclusive to the DFW area. Minnesota may have 10,000 lakes but Texas has at least 1,000 lakes because of water storage needs.

Houston has the Gulf Coast in Galveston and lakes in the northern suburbs. (The Gulf can be described as bathtub water in the summer. The humidity feels terrible until you get in the water and cool off.) San Antonio and Austin have lakes in their Hill Country suburbs. But East Texas is home to the bulk of the reservoirs.

I know for a fact that Lake Conroe and Lake Houston, both north of Houston, are popular with boaters and fishing. There are many lakefront suburban homes now along both lakes.
Yea, thats my point. No natural lakes in all of Texas except Caddo. The rest are all reservoirs. I mean, I've been swimming in Texas lakes and they're nice and all but they don't compare with our natural lakes.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:11 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

11,842 lakes of 10 acres or more. We don't name our puddles like that state to the East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea, thats my point. No natural lakes in all of Texas except Caddo. The rest are all reservoirs. I mean, I've been swimming in Texas lakes and they're nice and all but they don't compare with our natural lakes.
Where we don't need to worry about Alligators and brain eating amoeba.

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 06-06-2018 at 12:30 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 12:17 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Are y’all really debating about lakes? Who cares if they are man made or not...they still serve the same purpose.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:18 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,811,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Where we don't need to worry about Alligators and brain eating amoeba.
Or water moccasins, fire ants or zika virus.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Are y’all really debating about lakes? Who cares if they are man made or not...they still serve the same purpose.
haven't been able to visit very many natural lakes I take it

Old 06-06-2018, 01:32 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,946,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
haven't been able to visit very many natural lakes I take it
Please tell me the difference...I’ll wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City