Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM

787 posts, read 1,697,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
It's an honorary consulate, not an official consulate!

Honorary consulates are voluntary, unpaid positions. No office, nothing. They are ceremonial positions.

I know an honorary consulate in Akron, Ohio. It's just a fun thing to do for some folks, because you get invited every three years for a party in Washington.

There are hundreds of honorary consulates for all countries. There are honorary consulates for places like Fiji in places like Tulsa.

Really, no offices, or anything. Are you even aware of what an honorary consulate is? Yes, the people who work there are not full time, but they are appointed by the government of a particular country to fill a need that they feel exists.

The Honorary Consulate of Jamaica, Jamaican Consulate Chicago

You're just full of unnecessary hatred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
No, there aren't many West Indians in Chicago. Stop lying already. At least 95% of blacks in Chicago are native-born African American.

West Indians are concentrated in NYC, Miami and Toronto. Everyone knows this. Please show me all the Jamaican restaurants, all the Haitian churches, all the Trinidad Roti stands on the South Side or West Side of Chicago. There are none (ok, maybe there is one or something, but they are very rare).

And you're lying about the Jamaican consulate, too.

There are two Jamaican Consul Generals in the U.S.: NYC, and Miami. No Chicago.

Jamaica Embassy and Consulates Addresses in the USA (http://www.traveldocs.com/jm/embassy.htm - broken link)
HACA Chicago Haitian Community
Haitians are mostly on the North Side and Evanston.

And there is WAY more than one Jamiacan restaurant on the South Side, lmao. How about Uncle Joe's Jerk, Doctor C's Caribbean, Kingston's Jerk Chicken, Jerk Kitchen, Jamaican Jerk Villa, Ja's Jerk Chicken, to name some on the South and West Side;

To be truthful only one Trinidadian restaurant that I could find;

a good number of places on the North Side/Evanston border;

Plenty of Africans in Chicago too...but you didn't mention that fact, hmm?

Old 08-30-2009, 10:59 AM

197 posts, read 182,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Really, no offices, or anything. Are you even aware of what an honorary consulate is? Yes, the people who work there are not full time, but they are appointed by the government of a particular country to fill a need that they feel exists.

Nobody works there, it's an honorary consulate. The honorary consul does not have any diplomatic privilieges and does not draw any compensation.
If there was a real need there would be a real consulate in Chicago.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Nobody works there, it's a honorary consulate. The honorary consul does not have any diplomatic privilieges and does not draw any compensation.
It's like honorary doctorate, or in your case honorary GED, for which you did not have to work at all.

Personal attacks! Got to love them. Running out of ammo, I see.

They both have honorary in the name, but that's not true. So they have an office and a (honorary) consul, but nobody works there at all (obviously it's not full time)? Hmm.

I guess they don't help out their fellow nationals in times of distress, or provide a resource to them either. Guess not.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 AM

197 posts, read 182,094 times
Quote:
Personal attacks! Got to love them. Running out of ammo, I see.

They both have honorary in the name, but that's not true. So they have an office and a (honorary) consul, but nobody works there at all (obviously it's not full time)? Hmm.

I guess they don't help out their fellow nationals in times of distress, or provide a resource to them either. Guess not.

The term work implies compensation which they do not get. I would call it a hobby. There is a difference between and honorary consul and a real consul with immunity, staff, budget and acreditation with the state department.
If there was a need there woul be one here in Chicago, like in New York.

Why is this even a topic of conversation? We all know how segregated Chicago is, read the article in Chicago Tribune if you need to understand why.
Maybe your fellow Chicagoans can explain it you better...

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...ation-26-dec26

By the way, it is very funny when a black person talks about racism and segregation and some white folks respons saying: no there is nothing like this here
Funny, yet in the same time very sad.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:39 AM

398 posts, read 1,040,928 times
Quote:
Really, no offices, or anything.
Yes, no offices. None. It's a voluntary position. If you find an address, it's the home or work address for the honorary consul.

Quote:
Are you even aware of what an honorary consulate is?
I have a family member who's an honarary consul! This is why I knew you were full of BS! The only reason he does it is for a free trip for him and his wife to Washington, DC every three years. Also his wife enjoys the occasional dinner parties they get invited to.

There's basically no work involved. Just an occasional call from someone with job or immigration issues, which is then promptly forwarded to the offical counsular offices.

Here's the Honorary Jamiacan Consul of Kent, Washington. Must be a big Jamaican community in Kent, Washington, right?

Enid Dwyer J.P., Francis & Associates, Inc. 8223 South 22nd Street Kent, Washington 98032 Tel: (206) 872-8950

http://www.jamaicans.com/info/inforesouces/ja_embassy.shtml

Old 08-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
The term work implies compensation which they do not get. I would call it a hobby. There is a difference between and honorary consul and a real consul with immunity, staff, budget and acreditation with the state department.
If there was a need there woul be one here in Chicago, like in New York.

Why is this even a topic of conversation? We all know how segregated Chicago is, read the article in Chicago Tribune if you need to understand why.
Maybe your fellow Chicagoans can explain it you better...

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune

By the way, it is very funny when a black person talks about racism and segregation and some white folks respons saying: no there is nothing like this here
Funny, yet in the same time very sad.
It is. Especially since I'm black and I see it all the time.

Just like white NYers pretending like segregation doesn't exist in their own city. Go to the club, go to the bar, hang out. Just because different ethnicities live in close proximity to each other, doesn't mean that they socially mix.

Why have there been no hispanic mayors of NYC and only one black one, if the city is predominantly non-white?

Why will you never see sizeable numbers of caucasians at any musical gathering frequented by large numbers of blacks and latinos?

Why do you not see sizeable numbers of minorities when you party at many places in the Village?

It's an AMERICAN problem. It is worse some places than others yes, but it happens everywhere. And very noticeably, everywhere.

And yes, I've been to quite a few places.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,930,938 times
Chicago may have an Honorary Consulate for Jamaica, but they have a Consulate General for all major countries of the world.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:03 PM

With the article you posted above, I honestly see no difference between what happens in Chicago and what happens elsewhere. It is what is...people tend to move to areas where they feel accepted, and for many, that implies moving to an area where many look like them.

Ever heard of an ethnic enclave?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, no offices. None. It's a voluntary position. If you find an address, it's the home or work address for the honorary consul.

I have a family member who's an honarary consul! This is why I knew you were full of BS! The only reason he does it is for a free trip for him and his wife to Washington, DC every three years. Also his wife enjoys the occasional dinner parties they get invited to.

There's basically no work involved. Just an occasional call from someone with job or immigration issues, which is then promptly forwarded to the offical counsular offices.

Here's the Honorary Jamiacan Consul of Kent, Washington. Must be a big Jamaican community in Kent, Washington, right?

Enid Dwyer J.P., Francis & Associates, Inc. 8223 South 22nd Street Kent, Washington 98032 Tel: (206) 872-8950

http://www.jamaicans.com/info/inforesouces/ja_embassy.shtml

^^In the Seattle Metropolitan area....you're making it sound like it's solely for Kent, WA.

Keep trying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City