Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
This is blatantly a false statement. Lincoln Park does have a high ratio of whites in the neighborhood, but it is not 100%. It is actually 84.5% white.
Lincoln Park, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is a Manhattan neighborhood that is MORE non-diverse. The Upper East Side is a whopping 88.25% white.
Upper East Side - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The truth is, NYC is more integrated than Chicago. You do not have to lie to prove it though.
Umm, you are not even responding to what I said!

I did not say that no Manhattan neighborhoods have a higher proportion of whites! I said that Manhattan has more diversity than Chicago, which is 100% true!

You are talking about residents, not the population one sees on the streets.

Go to the Upper East Side, and it is plenty diverse. People from all over the world.

Go to Lincoln Park and it is all Trixies and Chads from Big Ten Universities.

Now if you want to talk about residents (a completely different issue) then the reason Lincoln Park isn't 100% white is because they have 100% black or hispanic projects in the south and west of the neighborhood (bordering Old Town, Chicago River and the like).

The fact is, there are all races and backgrounds in all areas in Manhattan,. Go to Chicago, and the South Side will be 100% black, and places like Lincoln Park will be 100% white.

And it isn't just race. Diversity is not only race. It's national background, religion, lifestyle, etc.

Look at Chicago whites. Most Chicago whites are more whitebread Christians from suburbs or small towns in the Midwest. If they are working-class, they may be Polish.

In contrast, NYC whites would include a huge Jewish population (including Orthodox and Hasidic Jews), Arabs, Italians, Greeks, Albanians, Turks, Russians, etc. Chicago does not have similarly high numbers in any of these groups.

The one group that where Chicago has a high number (Polish) is still smaller than the number of Polish in NYC! Look at the Census numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 PM

64 posts, read 162,767 times
LMAO it amazes me how white people from Chicago have a defensive answer for everything, they go as far as pulling out stats (unreliable ones at that). I mean just face it Chicago is a racist segregated ****in hell hole that treats its blacks residents like 4th class citizens as if this is South Africa apartheid or something. Just admit it, I know its shameful but hey its reality.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 PM

64 posts, read 162,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post

I did not say that no Manhattan neighborhoods have a higher proportion of whites! I said that Manhattan has more diversity than Chicago, which is 100% true!

Go to the Upper East Side, and it is plenty diverse. People from all over the world.

Now if you want to talk about residents (a completely different issue) then the reason Lincoln Park isn't 100% white is because they have 100% black or hispanic projects in the south and west of the neighborhood (bordering Old Town, Chicago River and the like).

The fact is, there are all races and backgrounds in all areas in Manhattan,. Go to Chicago, and the South Side will be 100% black, and places like Lincoln Park will be 100% white.

And it isn't just race. Diversity is not only race. It's national background, religion, lifestyle, etc.

Look at Chicago whites. Most Chicago whites are more whitebread Christians from suburbs or small towns in the Midwest. If they are working-class, they may be Polish.

In contrast, NYC whites would include a huge Jewish population (including Orthodox and Hasidic Jews), Arabs, Italians, Greeks, Albanians, Turks, Russians, etc. Chicago does not have similarly high numbers in any of these groups.

The one group that where Chicago has a high number (Polish) is still smaller than the number of Polish in NYC! Look at the Census numbers.
Now this guy lives in the same Chicago that I live in. Great observation my friend.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:58 PM

709 posts, read 1,494,257 times
I agree that race relations, as a whole, in NYC are better than any other city I have experienced. Yes, there are still some problems, and there are a lot of segregated neighborhoods, but I don't feel that race is as big of an issue there than other towns.

Quote:
The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them
I agree with that as well. It seems like New York has more middle class black people than other cities, where the middle class minorities usually go to the suburbs.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:03 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,776 times
I'm black by the way...lmao

Old 08-29-2009, 03:07 PM

787 posts, read 1,697,776 times
Comparing Lincoln Park (one relatively small neighborhood) to all of Manhattan isn't foolhardy?? WTF...a better comparison would be of the northside to manhattan, or of a Chicago neighborhood to a New York one....like I did.

Okay, so if in Lincoln Park it's (mostly) white people....guess what, same shii in many parts of Manhattan.

If you are in Flatbush, East NY, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, much of the Bronx, much of central Brooklyn....hey, guess what, you're not going to see that many white people.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Black men make you sick? A little mean.
Yeah, like really. Freaking A, dude These black men are zany.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:11 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post

see people, this is why so many chicagoans are defensive. Dumb stuff like this.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:13 PM

398 posts, read 1,040,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Where to start?
How about starting by posting yet more lies?
Quote:
Puerto Ricans are over 33% of the New York latino population, and Dominicans are over 25%...so you're lying about that.
Yup, right on schedule with more lies...

Here's the truth. Chicago Latinos are 90% Mexican. I am Mexican and I only hear Mexican Spanish in Chicago. And they are all from one state in Mexico (Michoacan). They are all from within 100km of Morelia, MX. Not really all that diverse (though at least the food from that part of Mexico is pretty good).

In NYC, there are Latinos from every Latin country on earth, and no dominant Latino group. In fact, there is no group with even one quarter of the Latino population.

National Backgrounds of NYC Residents Identifying as Hispanic or Latino (Self-Identification to Surveyer)

Source: 2007 NYC Housing and Vacancy Survey (U.S. Census)

Puerto Rican- 22%
Dominican Republic- 18%
Mexico- 14%
Colombia- 11%
Ecuador- 9%
Peru- 9%

NYC also has large numbers of Cubans, Venezuelans, and from every single Latino country in Central America. Chicago does not have large numbers of residents from any of these countries.

Also, the NYC Latino population is growing more diverse by the day. Ecuadorians are the fastest growing group, and the PR and DR population is staying about the same, so the numbers will be even equal in the coming years.
Quote:
Actually Lincoln Park has a lot of Puerto Ricans right next door...seeing as Chicago has the second-highest Puerto Rican population of any city in the U.S (after NYC, of course)...and they predominantly live on the Northwest side.
LOL, no! Chicago does not have many PRs. You never hear PR Spanish in Chicago. There are more Puerto Ricans in Florida, in Philly, and throughout the Northeast. Even Orlando has more PRs.
Quote:
If you knew anything about Chicago, you'd know that there are heavily Mexican neighborhoods such as Pilsen and Back of the Yards and the Southeast; Heavily Puerto Rican neighborhoods such as Humboldt Park and Logan Square; and South American neighborhoods like Rogers park.
LOL! Yeah, all those South Americans in Rogers Park! Sure thing, we believe you!

All those blacks in Rogers Park, and the Jews/Indians in West Rogers Park are just lies from the Census!

There's really a secret community of invisible Chileans and Argentines! The African Americans are just holograms to throw off the Census takers!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:13 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,899 times
Quote:
Comparing Lincoln Park (one relatively small neighborhood) to all of Manhattan isn't foolhardy?? WTF...a better comparison would be of the northside to manhattan, or of a Chicago neighborhood to a New York one....like I did.

Okay, so if in Lincoln Park it's (mostly) white people....guess what, same shii in many parts of Manhattan.

If you are in Flatbush, East NY, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, much of the Bronx, much of central Brooklyn....hey, guess what, you're not going to see that many white people.
uptown is one of the most diverse nabes in the country, thats on the n. side too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City